Can someone talk to us about the Noles' Corners and Safeties?

From my limited observation of them this season, the key for our O will be slowing down their defense of line. Not that that’s a revelation necessarily, and I know you asked about defense of backfield, but one affects the other.

As long as their defensive ends aren’t all over TVD, I think we’ll do our thing. If he’s scrambling early and often, or getting hit a lot, could be a long day.

Advertisement
I’m more concerned with their dl versus our ol and their offense versus our d. Last year they had us off balance on offense with all their motions and sweep action. They went up and down the field most of the first half but kept shooting themselves in the foot. This is likely a shootout imo.
No they didn't. Their first drive they marched down the field and got a FG. After that it was 3 plays -4 yards. 3 plays 7 yards. 1 play 0 yards (INT). 4 plays 7 yards. 9 plays 27 yards.

Aside from their first drive, they had 5 drives in the first half. 20 plays, 37 yards and 1 turnover.

No they didn't. Their first drive they marched down the field and got a FG. After that it was 3 plays -4 yards. 3 plays 7 yards. 1 play 0 yards (INT). 4 plays 7 yards. 9 plays 27 yards.

Aside from their first drive, they had 5 drives in the first half. 20 plays, 37 yards and 1 turnover.
You’re right , Blackmon started, I forgot. They started running on us when Travis came in at qb. Then he got hurt. The game got away from them but they moved the ball on the forums when he came in. Then we stopped them on the goal line and then the crazy Nesta play happened. Blackmon sucked so bad I completely forgot he started. They are dramatically better with Travis over the stick.

You’re right , Blackmon started, I forgot. They started running on us when Travis came in at qb. Then he got hurt. The game got away from them but they moved the ball on the forums when he came in. Then we stopped them on the goal line and then the crazy Nesta play happened. Blackmon sucked so bad I completely forgot he started. They are dramatically better with Travis over the stick.
I agree with you there. Blackmon was horrible. Travis practiced today and is listed as the starter for Saturday. They're not sure he'll be 100%, as apparently he was really knocked out, but him at 75% is better than Milton.

I thought Travis Jay would be a problem, but he’s been pretty much par for the course there. Average, at best, with stretches of terrible mixed in.

I think he actually missed the last game too, I wonder if he’s portaling or they told him to kick rocks or what. But he’s been brutal. If you see him and Dent on the field it’s all systems go, those dudes couldn’t cover a parking cone.

Advertisement
I thought Travis Jay would be a problem, but he’s been pretty much par for the course there. Average, at best, with stretches of terrible mixed in.

I think he actually missed the last game too, I wonder if he’s portaling or they told him to kick rocks or what. But he’s been brutal. If you see him and Dent on the field it’s all systems go, those dudes couldn’t cover a parking cone.
Travis Jay has very good ball skills, but probably runs a 4.95 40 & that’s being generous, dude has the foot speed of a 350lbs Nose Tackle lol. He’s like one of the many deathly slow DB’s in their secondary...

I think he’s been injured because he used to actually be one of their kick returners & they played him as a rotational Safety, but he hasn’t been playing recently.

But FSU had like 4 or 5 injuries to their secondary over the last month or so.

All of them will hold it in their mouth until the swelling goes down.

Travis Jay has very good ball skills, but probably runs a 4.95 40 & that’s being generous, dude has the foot speed of a 350lbs Nose Tackle lol. He’s like one of the many deathly slow DB’s in their secondary...

I think he’s been injured because he used to actually be one of their kick returners & they played him as a rotational Safety, but he hasn’t been playing recently.

But FSU had like 4 or 5 injuries to their secondary over the last month or so.
Bruh Rooster got them ankles last year 😂

Advertisement
If we don't get all in our emotions we will win. That said, I'll give their Dbackfield a C+ collectively. Our receivers will perform much better now that we have TVD.

Jermaine Johnson & Keir Thomas will cause some serious problems for our OL if they’re not communicating properly.

They has also have an active LB corps in Gainer, Lundy & DeLoach that they will send on Blitzes from all angles.

The key to this game for our Offense will be exploiting their secondary with the Deep ball & getting rid of the ball quickly. The edge we have in terms of matchups is at TE vs their S/LB group, if Mallory doesn’t have one of his Fck up games & they decide to let Arroyo play more than two snaps a game & actually feed him the ball, we can move the ball vs the middle of their Defense with our TE’s in the seams.

But this is a game where our Bubble screen heavy offense can come in handy to help move the chains.
I worry about those 2 dudes JJ and KT. They are going to be a problem. But if we give TVD some time, this game over in my opinion. He will be able to pick apart their secondary. Agree on those bubble screens. I think we are going to see a good number of them on Saturday to get the ball out early. What Id love to see if they go man is for Lashlee to call a well timed screen if FSU starts getting up the field consistently. We get a couple OL to slip out up the field and our WR's do a little blocking, Rooster can house it. Man I cant wait till Saturday.

I can see Knighton scoring a TD on a wheel route, FSU's defense seems very susceptible to that. They also seem to have trouble dealing with bunch concepts.

They suck.

pop tv ronnielee GIF by Schitt's Creek

Advertisement
I can see Knighton scoring a TD on a wheel route, FSU's defense seems very susceptible to that. They also seem to have trouble dealing with bunch concepts.
I assume Knighten will need to stay and pass block more than usual given the strength of their DLine. This may leave us pretty thin if he gets nicked up early. Our RB depth concerns me. Maybe the others will get more plays, but being able to pick up the pass rush will be critical to TVD hitting targets. Luckily, he has been making quick decisions and not holding the ball too long.

I dont see them putting pressure on us with heavy blitzes. If they have seen our game tape from the past three games, they will get ripped into pieces.

If they get pressure with four tho, thats a different story.

They got Jammie Robinson who transferred from South Carolina at Rover/SS & the well know Akeem Dent at FS.

Jammie is a solid tackler & their most active Safety on the backend, they move him around a lot & he’s actually played pretty well this season. He’s got pretty solid ball skills & is someone you have to lookout for in terms of when you throw the deep ball.

Akeem Dent is terrible, probably one of the most overrated DB’s coming out of South FL in a long time & that’s saying something because there have been some real big time busts from the tri-county, but Dent is ranked up there with them lol. He got moved to Safety because he was slow to play Corner & since being at Safety it’s been discovered he’s too slow for that too lol. He’s by far their worst in coverage, he’s makes Gurvan Hall look like JaQuan Johnson, that’s how bad he is. Terrible feet & has no idea where the ball is on any given play, he plays like he’s not quite sure if he’s even in the right game lol.

They also have Freshman Safety Sidney Williams, he’s basically like the 3rd man in their Safety rotation, he’s a Rover as well, but they use him similar to how we use Tae Williams.

At CB, they got Jarvis Brownlee formally of Hallandale/Carol City, he’s solid in coverage, he has a pick 6 on the season, but he has lapses in his technique where he gets handsy & has the tendency to grab the upper body of the WR when he’s in trouble. In Press man, he’s a classic Miami CB, scrappy & physical, but struggles against precise route technicians. If he’s lined up vs Rambro, the edge goes to us, Rambro will eat his lunch due to his ability to separate at the top of his routes.

The other Corner they use is Jarrian Jones, he’s their big bodied Boundary corner, not very good & has stone feet as well, is susceptible to getting beat off the Deep ball, they rotate their Safeties over a lot to his side of the field to help in coverage. He’s basically a Safety that has to play CB, but he’s got stiff hips & plays a step behind in the passing game. He really is only playing now because they had a rash of injuries to their CB group over the last few weeks, so he’s had to play a lot more than he was expected this season.

At Nickel Corner, they play another well known former Cane recruit in TF Kevin Knowles, he’s only recently started playing the last month, but he’s a natural cover corner, he’s got some Bandy to his game, very good footwork & stays in the WR’s hip pocket in bump & run. He’s got good active hands too, he’s somebody they can leave in Press man one on one & he’ll hold his own. If he lines up with Harley/Restrepo it’ll be an interesting match to see how it goes, he’s got dawg in’em.

But sneakily, one of their most talented Corners who has only played in their last 5 games is another former Cane recruit in Omarion Cooper. He had a really nice INT vs Clemson & is their most physically gifted Corner, he can stick really well in Press man & is a very physical aggressive corner with terrific hip fluidity & speed turn ability, and he’s not slow. I think he’s really only seen some late Dime package duty, but he’s a kid that down the line will be a very good corner for them.

Overall their Secondary really isn’t that good, you can throw on them routinely, they’re very young & disjointed group on the backend with a few individually talented players, but they’re not a cohesive unit at all.

If Lashlee watches the Notre Dame, Wake Forest, LVille & NC State film, he’ll see there’s some big time opportunities to exploit their pass defense, they play a sh*t ton of Zone coverages & have wide open holes all in their Secondary. They have to call a lot of overcompensating coverages to protect the lack of speed they have which leaves them susceptible to being picked apart down the field.

They’re not anywhere near the FSU secondaries of old.
You always loved Omarion Cooper.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back