Can someone talk to us about the Noles' Corners and Safeties?

LuCane

Administrator
Administrator
I just got done watching a full game of FSU. It's nowhere near enough to make any solid conclusions. Some of you may follow their DBackfield better than I have. Can anyone give any commentary? To me, this is always the most important game of the year.

Advertisement
Weakest part of their defense, truly. The transfer, Jones #7 literally gives up a huge play every game. I pray to God he is on Rambo until they realize that’s a horrible idea. Brownlee is also susceptible to the big play and has been ridiculed a ton by them for the same as well as his lack of effort on plays (See JSU game winning TD). Akeem Dent, playing Safety now, is absolutely cheeks and extremely soft, see NCST game on the bootleg to the Hback, completely let him off the hook on the sideline and he took off for another 20+ to score. Travis Jay, while talented, doesn’t have the mental apparently and is probably the most frustrating player on their entire defense and hasn’t really put it together. Knowles, the freshman from FLL is good at Nickel and we will probably see him alot due to us going 3-4 wide often. I haven’t heard Ricardo Green’s name much but he sucks too. Like I said, their secondary is easily the worst part of their defense. Their LB’s aren’t world beaters either but atleast they have guys there that have made some plays (Gainer, Deloch). If we can give TVD time, he will throw for 350+.

Weakest part of their defense, truly. The transfer, Jones #7 literally gives up a huge play every game. I pray to God he is on Rambo until they realize that’s a horrible idea. Brownlee is also susceptible to the big play and has been ridiculed a ton by them for the same as well as his lack of effort on plays (See JSU game winning TD). Akeem Dent, playing Safety now, is absolutely cheeks and extremely soft, see NCST game on the bootleg to the Hback, completely let him off the hook on the sideline and he took off for another 20+ to score. Travis Jay, while talented, doesn’t have the mental apparently and is probably the most frustrating player on their entire defense and hasn’t really put it together. Knowles, the freshman from FLL is good at Nickel and we will probably see him alot due to us going 3-4 wide often. I haven’t heard Ricardo Green’s name much but he sucks too. Like I said, their secondary is easily the worst part of their defense. Their LB’s aren’t world beaters either but atleast they have guys there that have made some plays (Gainer, Deloch). If we can give TVD time, he will throw for 350+.
It seems they put a ton of pressure on their boundary corner. It made me think of wanting to see Brinson collect a handful more snaps at that spot, if possible. They also aren't doing great on 3rd down conversions. I'd be surprised if they don't throw a Safety over Rambo.

1636496747689.gif

It seems they put a ton of pressure on their boundary corner. It made me think of wanting to see Brinson collect a handful more snaps at that spot, if possible. They also aren't doing great on 3rd down conversions. I'd be surprised if they don't throw a Safety over Rambo.

At all. They have serious tackling issues as well when it comes to their backend. The up tempo and making them bring down our guys in space will be entertaining. I expect Restrepo to have alot of YAC if given the opportunity.

Advertisement
They got Jammie Robinson who transferred from South Carolina at Rover/SS & the well know Akeem Dent at FS.

Jammie is a solid tackler & their most active Safety on the backend, they move him around a lot & he’s actually played pretty well this season. He’s got pretty solid ball skills & is someone you have to lookout for in terms of when you throw the deep ball.

Akeem Dent is terrible, probably one of the most overrated DB’s coming out of South FL in a long time & that’s saying something because there have been some real big time busts from the tri-county, but Dent is ranked up there with them lol. He got moved to Safety because he was slow to play Corner & since being at Safety it’s been discovered he’s too slow for that too lol. He’s by far their worst in coverage, he’s makes Gurvan Hall look like JaQuan Johnson, that’s how bad he is. Terrible feet & has no idea where the ball is on any given play, he plays like he’s not quite sure if he’s even in the right game lol.

They also have Freshman Safety Sidney Williams, he’s basically like the 3rd man in their Safety rotation, he’s a Rover as well, but they use him similar to how we use Tae Williams.

At CB, they got Jarvis Brownlee formally of Hallandale/Carol City, he’s solid in coverage, he has a pick 6 on the season, but he has lapses in his technique where he gets handsy & has the tendency to grab the upper body of the WR when he’s in trouble. In Press man, he’s a classic Miami CB, scrappy & physical, but struggles against precise route technicians. If he’s lined up vs Rambro, the edge goes to us, Rambro will eat his lunch due to his ability to separate at the top of his routes.

The other Corner they use is Jarrian Jones, he’s their big bodied Boundary corner, not very good & has stone feet as well, is susceptible to getting beat off the Deep ball, they rotate their Safeties over a lot to his side of the field to help in coverage. He’s basically a Safety that has to play CB, but he’s got stiff hips & plays a step behind in the passing game. He really is only playing now because they had a rash of injuries to their CB group over the last few weeks, so he’s had to play a lot more than he was expected this season.

At Nickel Corner, they play another well known former Cane recruit in TF Kevin Knowles, he’s only recently started playing the last month, but he’s a natural cover corner, he’s got some Bandy to his game, very good footwork & stays in the WR’s hip pocket in bump & run. He’s got good active hands too, he’s somebody they can leave in Press man one on one & he’ll hold his own. If he lines up with Harley/Restrepo it’ll be an interesting match to see how it goes, he’s got dawg in’em.

But sneakily, one of their most talented Corners who has only played in their last 5 games is another former Cane recruit in Omarion Cooper. He had a really nice INT vs Clemson & is their most physically gifted Corner, he can stick really well in Press man & is a very physical aggressive corner with terrific hip fluidity & speed turn ability, and he’s not slow. I think he’s really only seen some late Dime package duty, but he’s a kid that down the line will be a very good corner for them.

Overall their Secondary really isn’t that good, you can throw on them routinely, they’re very young & disjointed group on the backend with a few individually talented players, but they’re not a cohesive unit at all.

If Lashlee watches the Notre Dame, Wake Forest, LVille & NC State film, he’ll see there’s some big time opportunities to exploit their pass defense, they play a sh*t ton of Zone coverages & have wide open holes all in their Secondary. They have to call a lot of overcompensating coverages to protect the lack of speed they have which leaves them susceptible to being picked apart down the field.

They’re not anywhere near the FSU secondaries of old.

Last edited:
I just got done watching a full game of FSU. It's nowhere near enough to make any solid conclusions. Some of you may follow their DBackfield better than I have. Can anyone give any commentary? To me, this is always the most important game of the year.
They are a travesty.

TVD will eat.

They got Jammie Robinson who transferred from South Carolina at Rover/SS & the well know Akeem Dent at FS.

Jammie is a solid tackler & their most active Safety on the backend, they move him around a lot & he’s actually played pretty well this season. He’s got pretty solid ball skills & is someone you have to lookout for in terms of when you throw the deep ball.

Akeem Dent is terrible, probably one of the most overrated DB’s coming out of South FL in a long time & that’s saying something because there have been some real big time busts from the tri-county, but Dent is ranked up there with them lol. He got moved to Safety because he was slow to play Corner & since being at Safety it’s been discovered he’s too slow for that too lol. He’s by far their worst in coverage, he’s makes Gurvan Hall look like JaQuan Johnson, that’s how bad he is. Terrible feet & has no idea where the ball is on any given play, he plays like he’s not quite sure if he’s even in the right game lol.

They also have Freshman Safety Sidney Williams, he’s basically like the 3rd man in their Safety rotation, he’s a Rover as well, but they use him similar to how we use Tae Williams.

At CB, they got Jarvis Brownlee formally of Hallandale/Carol City, he’s solid in coverage, he has a pick 6 on the season, but he has lapses in his technique where he gets handsy & has the tendency to grab the upper body of the WR when he’s in trouble. In Press man, he’s a classic Miami CB, scrappy & physical, but struggles against precise route technicians. If he’s lined up vs Rambro, the edge goes to us, Rambro will eat his lunch due to his ability to separate at the top of his routes.

The other Corner they use is Jarrian Jones, he’s their big bodied Boundary corner, not very good & has stone feet as well, is susceptible to getting beat off the Deep ball, they rotate their Safeties over a lot to his side of the field to help in coverage. He’s basically a Safety that has to play CB, but he’s got stiff hips & plays a step behind in the passing game. He really is only playing now because they had a rash of injuries to their CB group over the last few weeks, so he’s had to play a lot more than he was expected this season.

At Nickel Corner, they play another well known former Cane recruit in TF Kevin Knowles, he’s only recently started playing the last month, but he’s a natural cover corner, he’s got some Bandy to his game, very good footwork & stays in the WR’s hip pocket in bump & run. He’s got good active hands too, he’s somebody they can leave in Press man one on one & he’ll hold his own. If he lines up with Harley/Restrepo it’ll be an interesting match to see how it goes, he’s got dawg in’em.

But sneakily, one of their most talented Corners who has only played in their last 5 games is another former Cane recruit in Omarion Cooper. He had a really nice INT vs Clemson & is their most physically gifted Corner, he can stick really well in Press man & is a very physical aggressive corner with terrific hip fluidity & speed turn ability, and he’s not slow. I think he’s really only seen some late Dime package duty, but he’s a kid that down the line will be a very good corner for them.

Overall their Secondary really isn’t that good, you can throw on them routinely, they’re very young & disjointed group on the backend with a few individually talented players, but they’re not a cohesive unit at all.

If Lashlee watches the Notre Dame, Wake Forest, LVille & NC State, he’ll see there’s some big time opportunities to exploit their pass defense, they play a sh*t ton of Zone coverages & have wide open holes all in their Secondary. They have to call a lot of overcompensating coverages to protect the lack of speed they have which leaves them susceptible to being picked apart down the field.

They’re not anywhere near the FSU secondaries of old.
Very informative LCE, TY sir

Advertisement
Does demorie tate play? I remember him being brought up here

Extremely mysterious that kid can’t get on the field yet. Something has to be going on with him because from a physical talent standpoint he was one of the best in the country coming out. I don’t think he has played a down yet.

Seems like the dline covers up alot for them on the backend.. we have benefited from that in past so we know how that works.. we run a ton of rpo it seems so hopefully it limits their rush.. big plays to be had if oline holds up

I wish we ran a ton of screens to back and te because ncst made alot of money doin that.. almost all their explosive plays came from working those screens but lashlee dont seem to know how to use a varied amount of screens

Extremely mysterious that kid can’t get on the field yet. Something has to be going on with him because from a physical talent standpoint he was one of the best in the country coming out. I don’t think he has played a down yet.
They Redshirted him his Freshman year last year, because he was academically ineligible & he got hurt back in the Spring of this year.

He’s been out for the season with a knee injury.

Advertisement
They Redshirted him his Freshman year last year & he got hurt back in the Spring of this year.

He’s been out for the season with a knee injury.

Ah makes sense. I didn’t know he was out for year with injury but figured it had to be something. Good look.

Advertisement
I’m more concerned with their dl versus our ol and their offense versus our d. Last year they had us off balance on offense with all their motions and sweep action. They went up and down the field most of the first half but kept shooting themselves in the foot. This is likely a shootout imo.
Everyone wants to dog on Travis but I'm telling you win or lose he's gonna be a big pain in the *** on Saturday. And their backs aren't bad.

Ugh they suck and what's with the over blown hype.
If this supposed to be a so called trap game. WTF

I’m more concerned with their dl versus our ol and their offense versus our d. Last year they had us off balance on offense with all their motions and sweep action. They went up and down the field most of the first half but kept shooting themselves in the foot. This is likely a shootout imo.
Jermaine Johnson & Keir Thomas will cause some serious problems for our OL if they’re not communicating properly.

They has also have an active LB corps in Gainer, Lundy & DeLoach that they will send on Blitzes from all angles.

The key to this game for our Offense will be exploiting their secondary with the Deep ball & getting rid of the ball quickly. The edge we have in terms of matchups is at TE vs their S/LB group, if Mallory doesn’t have one of his Fck up games & they decide to let Arroyo play more than two snaps a game & actually feed him the ball, we can move the ball vs the middle of their Defense with our TE’s in the seams.

But this is a game where our Bubble screen heavy offense can come in handy to help move the chains.

Advertisement
Back