Can DJ Johnson help our DT problems

canesfever

Recruit
He did play the position at the under armor game and look good doing it, with his size and track he could be a beast.... What Yall think???

Advertisement
The only way I see him helping our DT issues is if he can hold down the edge and allow Chad to move inside sometimes.

Advertisement
Problems? There are no problems with our DL. Like Pete said, there are plenty of guys who will get burn this year that can step in. Besides a couple plays, I hardly even noticed Willis during games.

Advertisement
When you have a prospect that has incredible size to go along with elite speed for a position, why take away from one of the biggest strengths he brings to the table? Keep him on the edge and let him eat. If he develops, he should be next in line for Chad Thomas's spot.

As long as McIntosh & Norton stay healthy we don't have any DT problems.

Bethel, Moten, Martin, Ford & Fines will do, we got enough guys even with losing Willis & Jenkins.

DJ at DT is only an emergency case scenario.

Advertisement

Bethel, Moten, Martin, Ford & Fines will do, we got enough guys even with losing Willis & Jenkins.

That lineup, outside our starting 2 does constitute a problem, either now or in the not so distant future. Martin and Fines don't seem to be every going to contribute much (though i guess Martin has more time to develop). Bethel looks solid and Moten is average at best. So having 3 workable guys seems very low. Not saying DJ should go there but we needed, and now need going forward, JUCO help next year probably.

Yes he can...by allowing for Thomas to slide inside on passing downs.

That lineup, outside our starting 2 does constitute a problem, either now or in the not so distant future. Martin and Fines don't seem to be every going to contribute much (though i guess Martin has more time to develop). Bethel looks solid and Moten is average at best. So having 3 workable guys seems very low. Not saying DJ should go there but we needed, and now need going forward, JUCO help next year probably.
For the 2017 season, it's not as much of problem as people have made it out to be.

Diaz just said yesterday that Moten & Bethel have made huge strides in the Spring & if people actually trust Coach Kool then we can expect for him to have these guys ready.

I understand because they haven't played a whole lot people just assume the worst, but this staff showed last year they can get players ready to go & contribute under difficult circumstances.

Also, besides Bethel & Moten, how much do you expect the other guys to play? What scenario are 4th/5th/6th string DT's playing meaningful snaps in meaningful games?

If you're talking about 2018, that's a different discussion entirely, but as for this season only it's not a Defcon 1 situation.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Kool has been pretty strong in his belief that DJ is purely and edge rusher

We don't have "problems" at DT first of all and building depth at DE is key as well with Chad, D Jax and Tool Box all being upper classmen. DJ has phenomenal DE potential especially when pared with Garvin. We do need to close on a couple more DT in addition to Nesta, IMO, before we do have issues at DT.

Don't sleep on Ford contributing next season. Recent reports already have him at 300 lbs and looking fairly strong. A year with Kool to work on technique and a year with Gus to further work on his body and he should be able to add to the mix.

We don't have adequate depth to run our 7 DT package. That is a problem that a 240 pound true freshmans with sprinter's speed can fix.

I remember there was an article of him helping out with the running back situation, but what about him being a TE just for special plays?

Advertisement
Back