Camping World Kickoff - Orlando City Guide

Nope I am a Otown homer bigtime! Hate to see you go. An think about CaneInNaples doesn't have the same ring to it.

Go Canes
You can have Orlando...i've owned a home here for 19yrs..Its progressively gotten worse here...especially the last 10-12yrs...House is all but sold....going to UM for Canesfest in 2 weeks...and on the way down looking at a Condo near Bonita Springs.

Advertisement
This is definitely true, and I’m from Jacksonville so that says something...
If it wasn't for the Theme Parks...Orlando wouldn't even exist..much like it didn't Pre- 1972...If it wasn't for my employment the past 11yrs....Id have left yrs ago. Not to mention my Hobby, which has blessed me as well.

Advertisement
If it wasn't for the Theme Parks...Orlando wouldn't even exist..much like it didn't Pre- 1972...If it wasn't for my employment the past 11yrs....Id have left yrs ago. Not to mention my Hobby, which has blessed me as well.
Seriously, it’s a state surrounded by water and beaches than there’s the one city in the middle of the **** state... it’s garbage, the same roads have been under construction for ever, and aside from the theme parks your left with gypsys, gift shops, and half *** museums that ride on the coattails of the theme parks.

My hometown....home I grew up in is actually in the Pic.

My hometown....home I grew up in is actually in the Pic.
View attachment 90648

Oh, good lord, I lived in the Cape for 5 years and it's a dump. Look, anywhere you live on water can be nice, freshwater or saltwater (and all those places in the Cape are on a river, not the ocean), but the entire city of Cape Coral is the pits. Horrible master planning FROM THE BEGINNING (and you KNOW this) means that nearly everything commercial is on 3 streets, Pine Island, Del Prado, and CC Parkway. Only 2 bridges in or out, both tolled (and, no, I'm not counting driving through NFM).

When I lived there, every idiot in town pulled all the equity out of their houses during the housing boom, not to mention sinking their money into spec houses in the western part of the Cape, which is why that whole area was ground-central for foreclosures (Lee County, home of the Rocket Docket). There's no industry, no corporate headquarters, no real jobs down there. And at the time, the mayor of Cape Coral was a UM alum that I went to school with, so I used to play golf with him and his wife. The Cape was offering a bounty to anyone who could assemble a large number of residential real estate parcels along Pine Island so that they could rezone it and try to build a mall. That's what happens when the ENTIRE city (and it is a massive piece of land, 5th largest city by area in Florida) is zoned residential, due to idiotic politicians decades ago.

But, hey, you're retiring. Naples is beautiful, but the rest of the area isn't that great for non-retirees. And don't think that I don't know what it's like today, my best friend from UM undergrad/UM law lives down there (used to have a house in the upper right corner of your photo, 6 houses away from the Caloosahatchee, now he lives in Fort Myers). I would have already convinced him to move to Orlando if he and his wife weren't already partners in a law firm down there.

I get it, you live near downtown Orlando and there is a lot of growth. Retire to Collier County, everybody does it. When I lived down in SW FL, it was nearly impossible to get a doctor, because so many of them specialized in elder care.

All the best to you and yours. You're from that area, and I'm sure that going home again will be great for you.

Advertisement
Oh, good lord, I lived in the Cape for 5 years and it's a dump. Look, anywhere you live on water can be nice, freshwater or saltwater (and all those places in the Cape are on a river, not the ocean), but the entire city of Cape Coral is the pits. Horrible master planning FROM THE BEGINNING (and you KNOW this) means that nearly everything commercial is on 3 streets, Pine Island, Del Prado, and CC Parkway. Only 2 bridges in or out, both tolled (and, no, I'm not counting driving through NFM).

When I lived there, every idiot in town pulled all the equity out of their houses during the housing boom, not to mention sinking their money into spec houses in the western part of the Cape, which is why that whole area was ground-central for foreclosures (Lee County, home of the Rocket Docket). There's no industry, no corporate headquarters, no real jobs down there. And at the time, the mayor of Cape Coral was a UM alum that I went to school with, so I used to play golf with him and his wife. The Cape was offering a bounty to anyone who could assemble a large number of residential real estate parcels along Pine Island so that they could rezone it and try to build a mall. That's what happens when the ENTIRE city (and it is a massive piece of land, 5th largest city by area in Florida) is zoned residential, due to idiotic politicians decades ago.

But, hey, you're retiring. Naples is beautiful, but the rest of the area isn't that great for non-retirees. And don't think that I don't know what it's like today, my best friend from UM undergrad/UM law lives down there (used to have a house in the upper right corner of your photo, 6 houses away from the Caloosahatchee, now he lives in Fort Myers). I would have already convinced him to move to Orlando if he and his wife weren't already partners in a law firm down there.

I get it, you live near downtown Orlando and there is a lot of growth. Retire to Collier County, everybody does it. When I lived down in SW FL, it was nearly impossible to get a doctor, because so many of them specialized in elder care.

All the best to you and yours. You're from that area, and I'm sure that going home again will be great for you.
To say Cape Coral and Ft Myers are Dumps...and at the same time prop up Orlando is laughable. I have a family member and several close friends who own Drop dead gorgeous homes in Cape Coral...I myself haven't lived in SW Fl since 87....but I'm there often. I'm also exploring a Condo near Sanibel....

Been to Fort Myers several times and it never struck me as "nice". Lots of white trash, sketchy areas and not much to do. Maybe I'm missing something.

Lived in the Bradenton/Sarasota/St.Pete area from 2016 to 2018. Encountered some beautiful areas there. I thought downtown St. Pete was dope. Lots of waterfront dining up and down that area. Still though, not my vibe.

Naples. Beautiful but 😴

Daytona. ****hole.

And Orlando...one of my favorite places to visit. Young, tons of nightlife, tons of stuff to do, food everywhere, Latinas everywhere, vibrant downtown area. I don't understand the hate, but then I don't LIVE there. I'm a fan of any city where my Tinder goes ape ****, and that's Orlando and Miami.

I guess it depends on where you're at in life. Your age. Your hobbies. Etc.

As a single man in his thirties with no children, I could not live in one of those beautiful sleepy towns. Bradenton was miserable for me. No diversity. No culture. No single women. Everything dies down at 10.

Now if I was married and wanted to settle down, anywhere on the beautiful SW coast of Florida would be good. Matter of fact that would probably be the best decision because being married in South Florida is rough.

Advertisement
Been to Fort Myers several times and it never struck me as "nice". Lots of white trash, sketchy areas and not much to do. Maybe I'm missing something.

Lived in the Bradenton/Sarasota/St.Pete area from 2016 to 2018. Encountered some beautiful areas there. I thought downtown St. Pete was dope. Lots of waterfront dining up and down that area. Still though, not my vibe.

Naples. Beautiful but 😴

Daytona. ****hole.

And Orlando...one of my favorite places to visit. Young, tons of nightlife, tons of stuff to do, food everywhere, Latinas everywhere, vibrant downtown area. I don't understand the hate, but then I don't LIVE there. I'm a fan of any city where my Tinder goes ape ****, and that's Orlando and Miami.

fort myers BS and Naples blow if you aren't 90

I guess it depends on where you're at in life. Your age. Your hobbies. Etc.

As a single man in his thirties with no children, I could not live in one of those beautiful sleepy towns. Bradenton was miserable for me. No diversity. No culture. No single women. Everything dies down at 10.

Now if I was married and wanted to settle down, anywhere on the beautiful SW coast of Florida would be good. Matter of fact that would probably be the best decision because being married in South Florida is rough.

SWFL sucks if you aren't 90 lol. i lasted about 3 months in that area. said moving back to SFL. i actually like orlando as a city a lot away from the parks

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back