Cam Ward to Portal

Advertisement
none of them are "best fit" for Miami because of Mario's reputation with QBs... we can deny it all we want as Canes homers but there's a narrative out there that is easy to paint that Mario is a QB killer.. and he hasn't helped himself at all with his time here. Justified or not it's out there and it is affecting his ability to sign/recruit top talent at QB...
Ah he has a 6th overall pick in the draft under his belt. Mario isn’t as big of a QB killer as some on this board will make you believe.

Advertisement

So I watched the Wisconsin game. His OL is terrible. Better in the quick hitter game than I expected. I think he went through his progressions once…maybe twice and when he did he was pretty uncomfortable in the pocket IMO based on him sloppy back shuffling. Seems like if his first read isn’t there he’s running it, but that could due to his O line. I think Mario would put the clamps on that real quick which could take away his game. It’s tough really to tell what the deal is because of his O line, but he’s a kid who could easily lose you a game or two by staring guys down or trying to do too much, but can easily be the reason you win.

High risk…potentially high reward. Howard is much more safer IMO and fits what Dawson probably wants to do more than Ward does.

two observations.

1. if this thread reaches 200, we are not getting Ward or Howard.
2. if we get Ward or Howard, this would be the biggest transfer in the last 20 years? yea or nay?

Advertisement
two observations.

1. if this thread reaches 200, we are not getting Ward or Howard.
2. if we get Ward or Howard, this would be the biggest transfer in the last 20 years? yea or nay?
so since Brock Berlin? I'm definitley high on Ward, but I'll reserve the 'biggest since .......' until I see what they actually do on the field. Haven't been a ton of transfers, but D. King was a pretty big one when he came in too.

Which guy would you prefer?
I have went back and forth. At first Will Howard but now I think Cam Ward.

I don't even have a football comparison for Cam Ward.. he reminds me of a shortstop. Big arm, good feet, throws from all angles, off balance, and all release points. Very quick release as well.

Goes well in our screen game where it just seemed TVD could never get a rhythm throw and was always getting put in situations where he needed to throw from another angle and I only saw him make 1 of those (and it was elite to be honest) it was like a submarine throw to X against A&M. Ward does that all the time. He doesn't even need to set his feet to make those throws.

so since Brock Berlin? I'm definitley high on Ward, but I'll reserve the 'biggest since .......' until I see what they actually do on the field. Haven't been a ton of transfers, but D. King was a pretty big one when he came in too.
Maybe not in terms of the player (however I still wholeheartedly believe Ward’s ceiling is a Heisman-caliber QB, and plenty of CFB pundits and media have tabbed him as a top-10 candidate entering 2024)…but regarding the “no good QB will come play under Mario” as everyone’s favorite negative recruiting tactic…that’ll be put to bed.

If either Ward or Howard can play well here, we can also put the “Mario QB killer” negative recruiting to bed.

I would also expect to see at least one stud WR want to play alongside either (maybe a second), so the ripple effect is real here.

Advertisement
Are we only talking QBs? Jalen Phillips was a game changer on the defense.

Advertisement
Since most of the traffick is here ill post it here as well:

Luke Chaney from 2478 says that he was getting lunch on campus and Will Howard, Dennis Smith and Coach Dawson are all meeting and having lunch together. So it seems they got Howard to stay another day?

Or an evening flight home?

Advertisement
Back