Cam Ward to Portal

I will say he's a good fit in Norvell's offense. Decent mobility and he's good in the screen game with short/intermediate stuff coming off the motions, fakes, rollouts, and misdirection.

That offense doesn't need or ask a QB that can push the ball downfield. They rarely do it. I don't see them having the weapons at WR to do it anyway once you take away their 2 towers they had this year.

I don't even think they want Cam Ward. They want to drive up the price we pay, for obvious reasons. They want DJU as a cost efficient move that allows them to add to the rest of their roster because they're really gonna need it with everything they're losing.

Advertisement
none of them are "best fit" for Miami because of Mario's reputation with QBs... we can deny it all we want as Canes homers but there's a narrative out there that is easy to paint that Mario is a QB killer.. and he hasn't helped himself at all with his time here. Justified or not it's out there and it is affecting his ability to sign/recruit top talent at QB...
It’s a false narrative. If any narrative should exist, it should be Mario fails at evaluating how good a QB actually is.

Spending a **** load of money to keep a QB who can’t read basic zone coverage would back that narrative.

Suspicious Family Matters GIF

Advertisement
If fsu is still bringing him in maybe it means they dont feel so good about Ward
Don’t think it’s connected. FSU is doing it right (hate that), can’t put all your eggs in one basket. The minute Ward said he would visit Miami before Noles this was scheduled.

Advertisement
I’m not privy to Washington state football. This guy the goods or just the best we can get?
He would’ve been drafted this year. I think the consensus was between 4th-6th round.

He’s coming back to school to 1) make more money this year than a guaranteed contract is for a late NFL pick & 2) to try become a day 1/2 pick.

Advertisement
he's not the OC but also has a reputation for "meddling"..

I'm just hoping those narratives/reputations are false and he can prove it this year. has a good OC. a good OL. and good skill positions. just needs to get and stay out of the way and let these guys do their jobs and give the transfer QB an opportunity to shine/showcase his talents and become a high draft pick.

It's almost 2024. I still have NEVER heard any specifics of Mario "meddling" with his QB. Never heard any stories where the QB/OC wanted to do one thing, and then Mario vetoed it.

After Herbert came back from his collarbone injury, did Mario instruct anyone to let Herbert run the ball or wait in the pocket for 6 or 8 or 10 seconds in order to throw bombs? No. But I don't consider that "meddling", and he got Herbert drafted at #6 overall.

Has Mario had a great QB every year? No. But I'm still waiting on evidence of how he has "meddled" or "ruined a QB" over the past 8 or 10 years.

I'm not sure how this "reputation" will ever disappear. Mario lets his coordinators move onward and upward every couple of years. So I'm not sure Dawson will even be here 12 months from now.

And, honestly, I'm not even sure that Mario cares enough about his "reputation" to actually do anything about it.

Advertisement
I will say he's a good fit in Norvell's offense. Decent mobility and he's good in the screen game with short/intermediate stuff coming off the motions, fakes, rollouts, and misdirection.

That offense doesn't need or ask a QB that can push the ball downfield. They rarely do it. I don't see them having the weapons at WR to do it anyway once you take away their 2 towers they had this year.

I don't even think they want Cam Ward. They want to drive up the price we pay, for obvious reasons. They want DJU as a cost efficient move that allows them to add to the rest of their roster because they're really gonna need it with everything they're losing.

DJ U cannot throw the intermediate middle of the field, which is where FSU gets a ton of their chunk plays off of play action.

It got so bad for him at Clemson that they shelved those plays.

He’d be a negative impact to the passing game, but would be a big bump to their QB power game.

In the end, it’s a lesser version of Travis and the offense from the last 1.5yrs

Agree but we did actually throw the ball decent bit this year and I dont think anyone can keep Ward from doing what he does once the bullets start flying.

Yes.

I actually blind-posted the 2023 Miami and F$U offensive stats (in the F$U Tears thread).

The passing stats are almost identical on a per-game average. The rushing stats are better for UM than F$U.

Yet F$U is undefeated...and Miami's offense is "terrible".

There's a fine line between clever and stupid. And Miami's offensive output is almost identical (and slightly better) when compared to that of F$U.

Advertisement
Back