Cam McCormick will be back for a NINTH year

Am I alone in actually liking the idea of having Cam back? He wasn't brought in here to be an offensive weapon that can stretch the field and create mismatches. He was brought in to bring his blocking capabilities while still being a mild threat as a pass catcher.

Injuries and lack of development in the TE room increased his playing time. Had Elijah stayed healthy and/or Skinner took that next step as TE then I imagine we see significantly less of Cam and most people here would actually be looking at this differently.

Now, if I can trade Cam for proven transfer with receiver production I obviously would. But if we're not going to invest transfer resources into the TE spot then I see no issue bringing Cam back as a blocking TE that only gets like 10% of the snaps with a healthy Elijah and developing Riley eating up the rest.
Yes

Advertisement
Can anyone update us on this guys future with the team? I really dont see his necessity as hes an average blocker at best.

Its time to switch some things up. What say you?

@TheOriginalCane i know you know something, ****, when do you not? Should change your name to NovelCane 🤣🤣🤣
I thought he’d retire. But, Our fullback from when Richt was here is still playing too.lol. But then again who wouldnt want free room and board, a salary, play ball, and college girls.😂

My biggest issue is that: Unc aint good enough for the waiver or scholarship, imo. He doesn't block nearly as good as made out to be, he slow, and he can't catch. He's a waste of space and doesn't even fit with Dawson.

I wouldn't have made this thread if he was actually worth a ****. If he was **** good id be A - Ok with him staying.

Yes, the middle of the field has been open forever in college and the NFL but coaches are reluctant to use it because of the low margin of error and high probability of turnovers.

QBs have to have consistently GREAT accuracy throwing over the middle. Meaning the trajectory always has to hit center mass and well within the receiving options catch radius.

Its a talent not many QBs possess so coaches would rather avoid it on anything less than 15 yards of route depth.

Im not too much worried about using a TE or replacing Cam. An offense doesnt NEED a TE, and if you do use one, and all he does is block your making the offense that much easier to defend.

We have the talent to go strictly 10 personnel and only use tight ends in packages in the redzone. Id much rather us do that than continue to trot this dude out there making the offense predictable as all ****.

Look, I'm not going to go into great detail here. Perhaps the general statements you have made are true.

I'm only talking about Miami. With our speed on the outside and our solid OL, we did not need overhwhelming accuracy last year to take advantage of the middle of the field. We just need a QB willing to see the middle and throw to the middle.

It would be one thing if 2023 Miami ONLY ran receivers to the outside. But we didn't. We had guys open in the middle, but TVD wouldn't throw there.

That's all. I'm not going to argue.

Miami is TE U. At no time was Miami ONLY throwing to TEs, or building our entire offense around TEs. I've been going to games since 1986, we have thrown to PLENTY of wide receivers and running backs even as we were pumping out great TEs. If we simply got one TE 5 catches per game, it would set the all-time single-season record at UM. 4 catches per game would almost break the record. We don't need to "feature" the TE, we just need to USE the TE.

Oh, and just for the record, who is the ALL-TIME leader for receptions by a Miami tight end?

If you actually said "Clive Walford", then good for you. The point is, we don't need a superstar TE, just a guy who gives us a consistent sledgehammer in the middle of the field.

Advertisement
but some of his teammates who he's around often I'd imagine, atleast during workouts and practice, can be as young as 17 with EE's. Not strange?

The age range of players in professional sports leagues is far wider. Especially baseball.

The guy got injured. Multiple times. No need to run him off just because there are a few 17 year olds around.

Advertisement
He’s not a good blocker, he’s not a good receiver. Not sure why we would entertain keeping this guy. There must be something we are missing, maybe he is a real student of the game and is almost like a player coach or something. Otherwise, I have no idea why we would waste a spot on this guy. His PFF grade for blocking was not good at all, so the one thing he’s supposed to be good at, he’s not. Why is he on the team?

Look, I'm not going to go into great detail here. Perhaps the general statements you have made are true.

I'm only talking about Miami. With our speed on the outside and our solid OL, we did not need overhwhelming accuracy last year to take advantage of the middle of the field. We just need a QB willing to see the middle and throw to the middle.

It would be one thing if 2023 Miami ONLY ran receivers to the outside. But we didn't. We had guys open in the middle, but TVD wouldn't throw there.

That's all. I'm not going to argue.

You absolutely need overwhelming accuracy, my guy. Its not as simple as " its open. Throw it." What im telling you is that coordinators on every level coach to AVOID throwing to the middle for accuracy inconsistent and/or strong arm QBs.

If the QB throws that ball too high, its going to be tipped and picked. If he throws the ball too far outside, tipped and picked. Behind his receiver, tipped and picked. Too low, batted by Dline, tipped and picked. Its never as simple as it looks and ive seen wide tf open plays over the middle turn into turnovers because of QB accuracy issues.

Tyler is the last MF id want throwing over the middle no matter how open the options are. Im certain Dawson coached him to this as the film so obviously suggests.

The great thing is. Cam Ward is an absolute magician with his ball placement so i wouldnt be surprised to see more of an emphasis on using the middle of the field in 2024.

The age range of players in professional sports leagues is far wider. Especially baseball.

The guy got injured. Multiple times. No need to run him off just because there are a few 17 year olds around.
Think you skipped my og point, but all good man, not really arguing nor can I run anyone off the team lol, I know for a fact it's a strange dynamic and if a team is building "culture" you want them to hang out as often as possible together...which I don't think these young kids are/will be doing with Cam.

Instead of being mad at Cam for trying to be Van Wilder, you all should be mad at Mario and Dawson for playing him 90% of the offensive snaps. If Arroyo is healthy Cam should be regulated to third tight end.

Advertisement
You can't play more than 5 seasons.

Did your sources tell you that guys could play more than 5 seasons?
With the extra Covid year, graduate years, redshirts and injury’s, college athletes can play for more than 5 seasons. The player on this thread literally played 8 lol

Instead of being mad at Cam for trying to be Van Wilder, you all should be mad at Mario and Dawson for playing him 90% of the offensive snaps. If Arroyo is healthy Cam should be regulated to third tight end.

100. It's the coaches, not the player. Really really hope Arroyo is recovered and plays to his pre-injury potential. Regardless, Cam moving on would fit the definition of addition by subtraction IMHO.

With the extra Covid year, graduate years, redshirts and injury’s, college athletes can play for more than 5 seasons. The player on this thread literally played 8 lol

I'm going to stop this nonsense now.

Once again, you have posted inaccurate, non-factual information.

You cannot cite any rules, you do not have any sources. I'm sure you will try to spend dozens of posts trying to fix what you said, but I don't care.

You are wrong. That's a fact.

The player on this thread "literally" did not play 8 seasons. He has played 3 seasons.

Maybe people are scared to tell you this, but you are shockingly ignorant.

Advertisement
Am I alone in actually liking the idea of having Cam back? He wasn't brought in here to be an offensive weapon that can stretch the field and create mismatches. He was brought in to bring his blocking capabilities while still being a mild threat as a pass catcher.

Injuries and lack of development in the TE room increased his playing time. Had Elijah stayed healthy and/or Skinner took that next step as TE then I imagine we see significantly less of Cam and most people here would actually be looking at this differently.

Now, if I can trade Cam for proven transfer with receiver production I obviously would. But if we're not going to invest transfer resources into the TE spot then I see no issue bringing Cam back as a blocking TE that only gets like 10% of the snaps with a healthy Elijah and developing Riley eating up the rest.

This aint 1994 my guy. If he cant do this he shouldnt be playing here, let alone starting.

Offenses DONT need a TE. Our new QB came from an offense that rarely used one. Tight Ends arent a must and forcing a 1 dimensional TE on the field is silly when you could replace that with a viable receiving option and in turn bring a DB on the field for Mark Fletcher to abuse. WIN-Win.

It would be much more efficient to scrap the TE from the playbook and use a legit receiving option instead.

Oline coaching and development is top tier. So Add a WR, force the defense to He's here because Mario has a soft spot for him and Marios a good man cause of it. The man sacrificed a lot, regarding his body, and i imagine Mario thanks the man for it by finding a place for him on the team.

Last edited:
You shouldn’t be able to play more than 5 seasons. Regardless of injuries and redshirts. Thank god the 2020 class all are seniors, so the Covid excuse is about to be done
I think 6 is justified in certain rare cases. Plus the kid can capitalize on a free masters degree. Can't hate it.

He’s not a good blocker, he’s not a good receiver. Not sure why we would entertain keeping this guy. There must be something we are missing, maybe he is a real student of the game and is almost like a player coach or something. Otherwise, I have no idea why we would waste a spot on this guy. His PFF grade for blocking was not good at all, so the one thing he’s supposed to be good at, he’s not. Why is he on the team?

Thank yoouuu. 💯🫡

I'm going to stop this nonsense now.

Once again, you have posted inaccurate, non-factual information.

You cannot cite any rules, you do not have any sources. I'm sure you will try to spend dozens of posts trying to fix what you said, but I don't care.

You are wrong. That's a fact.

The player on this thread "literally" did not play 8 seasons. He has played 3 seasons.

Maybe people are scared to tell you this, but you are shockingly ignorant.
What year did McCormick graduate high school? How many seasons has he been on the Oregon Ducks roster? How many has he been on Miamis? Case closed. My point was despite injuries and redshirts, you should not be on the roster for more than 5 seasons. It’s getting ridiculous.

Advertisement
Back