Calvin Ashley in the Portal

It’s a position of need - so sometimes you gotta roll the dice on guys who were former 5 stars.

Gerald Willis did **** at Florida, but became a stud here.
Gerald Willis has always been a dog. He just flipped his lid at UF. Completely different guy than someone with a reputation of being soft and lazy like Ashley.

Advertisement
Are yall on 24-7 "portal" watch or something? lol. Like one poster said, we don't want other teams low hanging fruit like we are desperate. I learned my lesson with George Brown. I was really excited to get him. Hes a dud and Ashley probably will be too.

Hard to fix OL that have toughness issues. If a kid that big has never been in a club clearing brawl before, ill pass. Think David Howell from the early 2000s.

U guys are so mesmorized with these stars it ain't even funny...this 5-star clearly couldn't cut it at Auburn and bcs he's a FORMER 5-star recruit we can't afford to turn him away 🤔...I'm not saying we shouldn't see what's up with him but not bcs he was a FORMER 5-star recruit 🙄
He was rated 5* for a reason. Could be a bust but likely he has great tools. Could have been lack of coaching, scheme, homesick, depressed. Point is the only talent close is Donaldson and he hasn't been great but imagine him in a better scheme and coaching. Same thing.

I stand corrected, he is an OT. If we lose out on Braun, who plans on deciding in a couple months, we can work Ashley until the time comes, grab him, and move Scaife to LG.
And if it were only that easy. I hope it is of course.

Advertisement
It’s a position of need - so sometimes you gotta roll the dice on guys who were former 5 stars.

Gerald Willis did **** at Florida, but became a stud here.

Number one Willis wasn't a 5-star (high 4-star)...number 2 Willis did sh*t in Gayturdville bcs he had a lot of behavioral issues not bcs he couldn't play, Willis was always a stud

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
We should not be giddy with stars, and become star whores.......these players have to be evaluated for need, talent, and whether they fit into the U way of doing things.
Miami will not grab, -nor should we-, every 4 and 5 star in the portal.
Manny will make **** sure that everyone has to play a part in TNM, and we should not be resurrecting fix it, and rehabbed players to the team because of dubious ratings, and failed missions on their first choice schools.
We should NOT become Reject U.
Thank you for taking the word straight outta my mouth! Even some of the guys that practice against some of these so called 5 stars can’t believe they have those ratings attached to them.

Just Chasing stars without proper evaluation will get your *** whipped!

I’m surprised you guys are passing judgment so quickly. Dudes a redshirt freshmen. Behind a bunch of jrs and srs. He redshirted and basically was in the two deep this year. Maybe he just doesn’t want to sit another full year. Maybe it’s not a good scheme fit. But given the current state of our OL I don’t know how your not interested. I’d take a flyer on him, at least do my due diligence to see what’s going on with him. You guys are like oh former 5* who’s not an AA already, oh he must suck! Hard pass... lighten up on the kid.

I’m surprised you guys are passing judgment so quickly. Dudes a redshirt freshmen. Behind a bunch of jrs and srs. He redshirted and basically was in the two deep this year. Maybe he just doesn’t want to sit another full year. Maybe it’s not a good scheme fit. But given the current state of our OL I don’t know how your not interested. I’d take a flyer on him, at least do my due diligence to see what’s going on with him. You guys are like oh former 5* who’s not an AA already, oh he must suck! Hard pass... lighten up on the kid.
You could be right. Concerning though that this guy can’t break into starting lineup. He’s a (5 star) who’s been at Auburn for two years and hasn’t been able to start? If this was Donaldson(5 Star) or a High 4 Star OL that’s been at UM for the same time and couldn’t start, I’d bet my house everyone on this site would label the player a bust. Highly ranked OL going into their third year should be starting. Seems this guy has no chance and wants to move on. Auburn is a good program but they are not Wisconsin who churns OL to the NFL. I pass on this guy.

Advertisement
Back