Calling out on barry jackson

Advertisement
I’m confused; where did it say Miami reached out to Stevenson? It said a source mentioned we would love to have him.

The article essentially said a source in touch with UM said we would love to have him. The necessary implication being the information ultimately came from UM.

On the one hand, sure, simply "lov[ing] to snag" a kid who is on another team isn't a violation. And most college teams would "love to snag Sam Howell" or "love to snag Justin Flowe" if they became available. But just wanting a kid on your team that is on another team isn't a violation of anything. Teams can only get in trouble when they act on those desires.

On the other hand, why would this even be newsworthy if Barry didn't believe UM was taking some action here? The very clear implication from Jacksoff's article is that something (that we all know is potentially a violation) is happening behind the scenes.

1. UM can do whatever it wants regarding firing its corches and it isn't a recruiting violation. Your comparison is apples to oranges.
2. Jacksoff said a "source in touch with UM" told him UM "would love to snag . . . Stevenson." So while this news came to Jacksoff from a non-UM employee, Jacksoff makes it very clear that his "source" got the information from UM. With Stevenson still in the portal, that is problematic for UM.

If you don't have a problem with a local reporter throwing UM under the bus I guess that's your prerogative. But don't be purposefully naïve about what is happening here and how it could potentially effect UM. It makes you sound like a simp or a troll.
So basically this hack is now relegated to third hand knowledge. That tells us we need to know.

Advertisement
Maybe I'm dense (ok, not maybe), but I didn't read a single word in Jackson's post that would give anyone pause, our cause, for violations.

What am I missing??
Him writing an article saying miami would be very happy to add said player who is on another team and then a few weeks later said player joins only makes things look fishy and would lead to an investigation on us there has been investigations on programs for alot less and we all know how much the ncaa loves miami

Even with no tampering evidence or getting in trouble, this will **** sure get Smart to deliver whatever promises he needs to to keep Stevenson. This could really mess things up.

Advertisement
I’m not naive. And sinp or troll, lmao. I don’t do the internet tough guy stuff. Jackson doesn’t have anything invested at UM. He’s not even the UM reporter for the paper. Miami hasn’t even made contact with the kid. It’s a lot like the Haselwood situation.

I didn't say you were a simp or a troll... read it again. But you were very clearly attempting to: 1) make a meaningless comparison between internal discussions concerning a coach on the team with potential external discussions involving a player on another team, and 2) your "could be anyone" take misses the point in a way that appears disingenuous or naïve.

You can move the goalpost to a discussion on whether Jacksoff is "invested at UM", but that's not anywhere in the comment I was responding too.

You really shouldn't publish this "news" without a source. He's not even citing an unnamed source...he's just throwing it out there all willynilly under the guise of "a source in touch with UM"...not a source that works for UM...just a random jamoke that may or may not be in touch with the school.

Wouldn't be shocked if that information isn't even correct.

Advertisement
For those that don’t get it the issue is he’s not in the portal. The optics look bad now if he enters and goes to Miami. Hello NCAA investigation and being that this is Miami death penalty. You can’t talk to a kid that’s not in the portal and it will appear that we were

Maybe this is an attempt by UM to cause some drama within UGA, since they like cherry picking our best players every year?

Advertisement
Ok so the source is a player...

The source said man Id love to have a player like Tyrique Stevenson on the team, the way he plays and the game he had vs UC... thats the kinda player we need on our defense.

How is that bad?? Wishing for someone like that....

Everyone getting mad at reporters for reporting things that people within the program are telling them - how about the people within the program stop telling them these things. This isn't Barry sleuthing through old myspace posts to look for incriminating things a coach said when they were 12.

Tell the coaches/players/staff/etc to stop sharing info with Barry if they don't want it out there - or maybe they do what it out there...

Coaches should be as tight-lipped as possible, absolutely. But it does not appear this information got to Jacksoff from a UM staffer (but a person "in touch with" UM).

Let's be very real for a minute. If you want to slay the portal, discussions between players' intermediaries and staffers prior to their entering the portal are probably a necessary evil. So if you want to entice a kid like Stevenson (who maybe was making it known he was looking to move on from his current team), the only way to do that is to bring other people into the conversation to convey mutual interest of the parties. And if/when those people (and friends/family) start talking, the word is more likely to get out. An intermediary talks to a family member who runs his mouth and the news circles its way back to somebody who knows Jacksoff. This sort of stuff is bound to happen.

But what Jacksoff does with it is entirely up to him. I suspect the guys writing for local papers in Alabama, Georgia, and South Carolina typically handle that sort of information differently.

Advertisement
Back