CA BoR Threatening To Deny UCLA

Any school that relies on Olympic/non revenue sports to stay relevant, won’t ever say no to more money.

Advertisement
Actually, my brother, there’s only 1 other UC member that’s apart of the PAC-12, & that’s Berkeley. I’ve mentioned this in the other thread & @Ispyin & @calinative umstudent commented on this, but this is a jockeying position for Cal. Ppl are familiar w/ SC & UCLA being joined at the hip, but Stanford & Cal are the step brothers up North that are apart of this.

All the other UCs (Davis, San Diego, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, Merced, Irvine, SF) have no PAC-12 affiliation. This is all about Cal getting some of this love.

UCLA got hit hard in their AD by both Covid cancelling a lot of shared revenue events from being operating partners of the Rose Bowl, & Under Armour straight up reneging on that huge apparel contract. Well, ppl 4get Cal got smoked by Under Armour’s “sweet heart” deal to leave JB, too, & they also got hit hard by Covid. They need this B1G $$, too.

Me & @calinative umstudent have been talking about the B1G locking up the entire CA market. Make no mistake, w/ the B1G officially stating they plan to expand, don’t think Cal & Stanford weren’t like “ummmm, here we are; take us, too!”
I thought UCLA broke the UA contract?

Do I have that backwards?

Actually, my brother, there’s only 1 other UC member that’s apart of the PAC-12, & that’s Berkeley. I’ve mentioned this in the other thread & @Ispyin & @calinative umstudent commented on this, but this is a jockeying position for Cal. Ppl are familiar w/ SC & UCLA being joined at the hip, but Stanford & Cal are the step brothers up North that are apart of this.

All the other UCs (Davis, San Diego, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, Merced, Irvine, SF) have no PAC-12 affiliation. This is all about Cal getting some of this love.

UCLA got hit hard in their AD by both Covid cancelling a lot of shared revenue events from being operating partners of the Rose Bowl, & Under Armour straight up reneging on that huge apparel contract. Well, ppl 4get Cal got smoked by Under Armour’s “sweet heart” deal to leave JB, too, & they also got hit hard by Covid. They need this B1G $$, too.

Me & @calinative umstudent have been talking about the B1G locking up the entire CA market. Make no mistake, w/ the B1G officially stating they plan to expand, don’t think Cal & Stanford weren’t like “ummmm, here we are; take us, too!”
For all sports, or just football? Admittedly, I am just parroting what I heard on local sports radio yesterday, so I may have misunderstood. Maybe the speaker was referring to the UC system. Regardless of PAC12 affiliation.

That said, I agree this is a move to get Cal in the B1G.

Thanks for correcting me! Appreciated!

I thought UCLA broke the UA contract?

Do I have that backwards?

Correct; UA pulled some b.s on both UCLA & Cal. Smh. UCLA is currently engaged in a $200m lawsuit w/ UA. UA is already wobbly financially, so if this happens, which I hope UCLA wins, this was be a str8 uppercut on the chin.

I feel like the UCLA move was a way to block the SEC from landing the LA market. They already nabbed the top school in LA with USC. Now if UCLA can’t leave the PAC, there is no danger of an SEC move. Meanwhile in the S. Florida market…

Advertisement
For all sports, or just football? Admittedly, I am just parroting what I heard on local sports radio yesterday, so I may have misunderstood. Maybe the speaker was referring to the UC system. Regardless of PAC12 affiliation.

That said, I agree this is a move to get Cal in the B1G.

Thanks for correcting me! Appreciated!

All sports; The only UC schools that are apart of the PAC-12 alliance r LA & Berkeley. The UC school systems are all connected academically, but not athletically. This is strictly a jockeying position for Cal; LA & Cal r the two big dogs in the UC system, & I know for sure Cal was bytching about UCLA bouncing. They want in, bad. Their AD also got hit financially by some unsound business decision.

All sports; The only UC schools that are apart of the PAC-12 alliance r LA & Berkeley. The UC school systems are all connected academically, but not athletically. This is strictly a jockeying position for Cal; LA & Cal r the two big dogs in the UC system, & I know for sure Cal was bytching about UCLA bouncing. They want in, bad. Their AD also got hit financially by some unsound business decision.
All good. Everyone looking out for themselves.

All good. Everyone looking out for themselves.
miniGif_20220821172231.gif

Yeah, plus EVEN IF it were the case that the rest of the UCs would be negatively impacted if Cal and UCLA left, California could institute a athletic revenue sharing agreement between the UCs that would still be a major net positive for everyone.

Estimated Athletic Revenue:

UCLA = $127.3M
Berkeley = $94.7M
Total = $222M

The rest of the UC system:
Davis = $36.6M (btw this was actually kinda surprisingly high to me)
Santa Barbara = $22.3M
Irvine = $21M
Riverside = $17.1M
San Diego = $17M
Santa Cruz = $2.8M
Merced = $1.7M
San Francisco = $0M
Total = $118.5M

Going from Pac12 to B10 for UCLA and Cal would be a total net $80M-$140M gain per year. If they just took 10% of that and handed it to the rest of the UCs, it'd represent a 12% increase in their revenues as well lol. Basically what I'm saying is the rest of the UCs aren't affected by this move, and even if they were California could just institute a small tax/revenue distribution among UCs to make everybody win - and win big. **** Cal and UCLA would both happily accept a 10% tax to redistribute to the rest of the UCs if it meant an additional $60M-$90M in revenues. And

Also Cal and Stanford are both far more valuable than Washington State and Oregon State. ASU and Arizona are giant schools, but their actual value is also far less too, as well as just not qualifying academically. Washington, Oregon, Cal, and Stanford are CLEARLY the top 4 left in the pac12.

Advertisement
Yeah, plus EVEN IF it were the case that the rest of the UCs would be negatively impacted if Cal and UCLA left, California could institute a athletic revenue sharing agreement between the UCs that would still be a major net positive for everyone.

Estimated Athletic Revenue:

UCLA = $127.3M
Berkeley = $94.7M
Total = $222M

The rest of the UC system:
Davis = $36.6M (btw this was actually kinda surprisingly high to me)
Santa Barbara = $22.3M
Irvine = $21M
Riverside = $17.1M
San Diego = $17M
Santa Cruz = $2.8M
Merced = $1.7M
San Francisco = $0M
Total = $118.5M

Going from Pac12 to B10 for UCLA and Cal would be a total net $80M-$140M gain per year. If they just took 10% of that and handed it to the rest of the UCs, it'd represent a 12% increase in their revenues as well lol. Basically what I'm saying is the rest of the UCs aren't affected by this move, and even if they were California could just institute a small tax/revenue distribution among UCs to make everybody win - and win big. **** Cal and UCLA would both happily accept a 10% tax to redistribute to the rest of the UCs if it meant an additional $60M-$90M in revenues. And

Also Cal and Stanford are both far more valuable than Washington State and Oregon State. ASU and Arizona are giant schools, but their actual value is also far less too, as well as just not qualifying academically. Washington, Oregon, Cal, and Stanford are CLEARLY the top 4 left in the pac12.

I’m not sure what happens w/ ND, but if ND stays independent, these 4 would seem like the last 4 in to complete the 20, & I think AU, ASU, Utah, & Colorado defect to the B12 or The PAC-12 remains stubborn, keeping OSU, WASU, Utah, Colorado, AU, ASU while adding Boise St, SDSU, Fresno St, Nevada, UNLV, & Utah St.

I’m not sure what happens w/ ND, but if ND stays independent, these 4 would seem like the last 4 in to complete the 20, & I think AU, ASU, Utah, & Colorado defect to the B12 or The PAC-12 remains stubborn, keeping OSU, WASU, Utah, Colorado, AU, ASU while adding Boise St, SDSU, Fresno St, Nevada, UNLV, & Utah St.
Agree. But if ND stays Independent I think B10 will just focus in on UNC and their +1. If ND doesn't join, I don't think B10 really needs to be in any rush at all to add Oregon, Washington, Cal, or Stanford, because they really have no other option. The only real risk is that the P12 signs a new media deal and signs a GOR. But I can't imagine those 4 schools agreeing to that and locking themselves at $30M/yr without the opportunity to leave for the B10s $70-$100M. ... also thats assuming Miami, Clemson, FSU are SEC bound, which isn't a guarantee regardless of what the best insiders here say. I mean I still think our administration would prefer to be B10 to align ourselves with those academics. If one of those 3 chooses B10 it would really change my prediction...

I'll just maintain that B10 adds ND, UNC, Washington, Oregon, Stanford, UVA, Cal, and Duke (and probably in that order of Importance). ND I think just needs to join the B10 already so we can get this **** rolling - as I do think they're the lynch pin basically.

Agree. But if ND stays Independent I think B10 will just focus in on UNC and their +1. If ND doesn't join, I don't think B10 really needs to be in any rush at all to add Oregon, Washington, Cal, or Stanford, because they really have no other option. The only real risk is that the P12 signs a new media deal and signs a GOR. But I can't imagine those 4 schools agreeing to that and locking themselves at $30M/yr without the opportunity to leave for the B10s $70-$100M. ... also thats assuming Miami, Clemson, FSU are SEC bound, which isn't a guarantee regardless of what the best insiders here say. I mean I still think our administration would prefer to be B10 to align ourselves with those academics. If one of those 3 chooses B10 it would really change my prediction...

I'll just maintain that B10 adds ND, UNC, Washington, Oregon, Stanford, UVA, Cal, and Duke (and probably in that order of Importance). ND I think just needs to join the B10 already so we can get this **** rolling - as I do think they're the lynch pin basically.

It irks my nerves that ND is the f’ing domino; I agree w/ ur assessment. This whole situation just makes me hate ND even more than I do. Lol

Advertisement
It irks my nerves that ND is the f’ing domino; I agree w/ ur assessment. This whole situation just makes me hate ND even more than I do. Lol
They’re playing it smart IMO. I think ND is gonna hold out as long as possible. If the playoff expands to 8, and they aren’t forced to join a conference, they’re almost guaranteed a spot every year. Somebody is gonna have to force their hand.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back