CA BoR Threatening To Deny UCLA

Empirical Cane

We are what we repeatedly do.
Please Board of Regents, just for the chaos.

miniGif_20220821082646.gif

Advertisement
UCLA not caring at all about UCB in a state like Cali is funny. Money talks. Kill your brother.

I posted an earlier thread that its technically illegal to spend state funds in locations blacklisted by California, which is why there was an uproar when Newsom vacationed in Wyoming with a full security detail and staff.

UCLA or Cal traveling to even Arizona or Utah is now technically illegal, unless a booster pays all of the travel expenses.

Advertisement
there is no way this is getting reversed. I live here. Wife is UCLA alum. It’s just posturing.

ucla athletic department is under massive debt. they need the money or olympic sports, women led, will be in trouble. No way they let that happen

they just want to try to leverage cal into the deal. That’s it.

there is no way this is getting reversed. I live here. Wife is UCLA alum. It’s just posturing.

ucla athletic department is under massive debt. they need the money or olympic sports, women led, will be in trouble. No way they let that happen

It's not that dissimilar to what VaTech orchestrated with UVA when Tim Kaine was governor of Virginia. It got UVA to temporarily side with the ACC schools against expansion, then when Syracuse was replaced with VaTech they approved it.

Also, the UC board of regents oversees all public universities in California, not just Cal Berkley. So this involves other public schools in the state, like UC-Davis, Irvine, Santa Barbara etc. pushing back at a potential breakaway from the NCAA model.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see more of this in other states. Doesn't mean it will work, but more will probably try.

/edit
For example, everyone assumes Oregon is next on the B1G's wish list. I'd imagine people at Oregon State with connections in state government will rattle every cage imaginable to get a spot on the next lifeboat.

Last edited:
Also, the UC board of regents oversees all public universities in California, not just Cal Berkley. So this involves other public schools in the state, like UC-Davis, Irvine, Santa Barbara etc. pushing back at a potential breakaway from the NCAA model.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see more of this in other states.
UCLA leaving the PAC12 negatively impacts the other UC conference members as a whole.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think the board is doing what they should - trying to get Berkeley into the B10. What it should be doing is threatening the B10 AND trying to make them see the benefit of addding Cal and Stanford and completely owning the state of California market.

Obviously I don’t think they should follow through on their threats to not allow UCLA to leave. But maybe they should try to get a guarantee/promise from like the B10 that if they move to 22/24, that Cal will be one of those teams added.

Last edited:
Please Board of Regents, just for the chaos.

View attachment 204906

I had been wondering when this was going to happen.

I think the board is doing what they should - trying to get Berkeley into the B10. What it should be doing is threatening the B10 AND trying to make them see the benefit of adddkng Cal and Stanford and completely owning the state of California market.

Obviously I don’t think they should follow through on their threats to not allow UCLA to leave. But maybe they should try to get a guarantee/promise from like the B10 that if they move to 22/24, that Cal will be one of those teams added.

Sorta like what occurred when then Governor Mark Warner of Virginia got involved with twisting UVA's arm to include VT in ACC.

I posted an earlier thread that its technically illegal to spend state funds in locations blacklisted by California, which is why there was an uproar when Newsom vacationed in Wyoming with a full security detail and staff.

UCLA or Cal traveling to even Arizona or Utah is now technically illegal, unless a booster pays all of the travel expenses.
Even still, an argument can be made still illegal because public funds offset other costs in UCLA's AD thereby enabling a booster to cover travel expenses.

Advertisement
Even still, an argument can be made still illegal because public funds offset other costs in UCLA's AD thereby enabling a booster to cover travel expenses.

Its a ridiculous law; if say there was an infectious disease conference in Florida, their law would prevent any state employee from attending.

Advertisement

Say it louder for the ppl in the back. Spot on

I wouldn't be surprised if we see more of this in other states. Doesn't mean it will work, but more will probably try.

/edit
For example, everyone assumes Oregon is next on the B1G's wish list. I'd imagine people at Oregon State with connections in state government will rattle every cage imaginable to get a spot on the next lifeboat.
Wouldn't it be grand for the muppets of Cali to put enough pressure on Newsome, just from an optics standpoint of "CFB is out of control with greed", to stop it from happening?

Maybe they can tax UCLAs Big 10 annual distribution and re-distribute to some very well thought out and useful social program of the month.

Granted low percentage, but if some of the opponents can just hit the right notes, it could take on a life if its own.

UCLA leaving the PAC12 negatively impacts the other UC conference members as a whole.

Actually, my brother, there’s only 1 other UC member that’s apart of the PAC-12, & that’s Berkeley. I’ve mentioned this in the other thread & @Ispyin & @calinative umstudent commented on this, but this is a jockeying position for Cal. Ppl are familiar w/ SC & UCLA being joined at the hip, but Stanford & Cal are the step brothers up North that are apart of this.

All the other UCs (Davis, San Diego, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, Merced, Irvine, SF) have no PAC-12 affiliation. This is all about Cal getting some of this love.

UCLA got hit hard in their AD by both Covid cancelling a lot of shared revenue events from being operating partners of the Rose Bowl, & Under Armour straight up reneging on that huge apparel contract. Well, ppl 4get Cal got smoked by Under Armour’s “sweet heart” deal to leave JB, too, & they also got hit hard by Covid. They need this B1G $$, too.

Me & @calinative umstudent have been talking about the B1G locking up the entire CA market. Make no mistake, w/ the B1G officially stating they plan to expand, don’t think Cal & Stanford weren’t like “ummmm, here we are; take us, too!”

Advertisement
Back