Off-Topic CA Bans Reality--No ICE '35

What California will need to do is radically expand charging stations throughout the state. To mandate all new homes have charging stations, and provide tax credits to retrofit all existing homes with charging technologies. They will also need to enormously surge their electricity generating capacity in a way that is carbon neutral and does not run afoul of environmental laws. All of this will need to be done within twenty to twenty five years, (and also presumes that recovery from a major earthquake does not need to be funded, as CA is overdue).

The challenge will be finding a way to fund all of this over the next two decades. It’s not simply raising MPG and getting people to drive smaller cars. It’s a fundamental transition from a multi billion infrastructure to another.
True in many regards, but we're talking about 13 years until all dealerships can only sell electric powered vehicles. There will still be gas vehicles on the road and gas stations, until it is deemed infeasible. I'm sure the team/committee did multiple impact and infrastructure studies before setting a cutoff date. Consider that many Californians drive electric vehicles, so they can easily determine the demand on the electric grids and prepare. Many will slowly convert to electric long before the dealership cut off so there won't be an instant demand on electrical systems and home installs. Consider also advances will be made in charging technologies and existing stations will be converted to Charge Stations. Investors will also see new opportunities from home installs, cell replacements, mobile charging units, wireless charging and stations. We about to see a revolutionary transition from petroleum to electric powered standard and industrial machinery. Think of the transition from typewriters to PC's, landlines to cell phones and ability to see the person you talking to. Remember when cell tower infrastructure was minimal and now coverage is no longer a selling point. You get the picture and I wish those other peoples would take off their political blinders and come to the light.

Advertisement
True in many regards, but we're talking about 13 years until all dealerships can only sell electric powered vehicles. There will still be gas vehicles on the road and gas stations, until it is deemed infeasible. I'm sure the team/committee did multiple impact and infrastructure studies before setting a cutoff date. Consider that many Californians drive electric vehicles, so they can easily determine the demand on the electric grids and prepare. Many will slowly convert to electric long before the dealership cut off so there won't be an instant demand on electrical systems and home installs. Consider also advances will be made in charging technologies and existing stations will be converted to Charge Stations. Investors will also see new opportunities from home installs, cell replacements, mobile charging units, wireless charging and stations. We about to see a revolutionary transition from petroleum to electric powered standard and industrial machinery. Think of the transition from typewriters to PC's, landlines to cell phones and ability to see the person you talking to. Remember when cell tower infrastructure was minimal and now coverage is no longer a selling point. You get the picture and I wish those other peoples would take off their political blinders and come to the light.
Agreed, however, to put an outright ban on the sales of new gas vehicles? Incentivize the new technology, make emission standards low enough where cleaner energy needs to be used, etc. The manufacturers are moving in that direction anyway.

Nuclear is a long term solution. Its super scary that the EV batteries and the raw materials to make them come from China. Lets say the invade Taiwan, and we respond, they can cut all that off.
I've always liked Nuclear power especially for homes and buildings, but not a practical solution for vehicles other battery powered devices and equipment. We have natural resources here and other countries we can have beneficial and protective trade agreements with including China. Technological advancements will continue but we need political leaders to work together and create reasonable pro-American economic and environmental policies.

Agreed, however, to put an outright ban on the sales of new gas vehicles? Incentivize the new technology, make emission standards low enough where cleaner energy needs to be used, etc. The manufacturers are moving in that direction anyway.
You don't have to Ban them, just eliminate gas stations which will organically happen because it will not be financially feasible. We didn't have to ban 8 Tracks, cassettes or vhs tapes. Technology advancements and the publics adoption of newer, better and more cost-effective solutions eliminated the old stuff.

You don't have to Ban them, just eliminate gas stations which will organically happen because it will not be financially feasible. We didn't have to ban 8 Tracks, cassettes or vhs tapes. Technology advancements and the publics adoption of newer, better and more cost-effective solutions eliminated the old stuff.
I agree. That's what I am saying. The thing is California is going to ban the sale of new gas vehicles in 2035. Like you said, let it happen organically.

Advertisement

I realize its just another coincidence, but most if not all EV prices have been raised recently, all around the magic $7,500 number.

Ford raises prices on Mustang Mach-E models​

BY UPI
— 1:25 PM ET 08/26/2022

Ford Motor (F) said on Thursday it is increasing the starting price of its popular electric Mustang Mach-E crossover for some models by more than $8,000 as it opens orders for the 2023 model year.
Ford said the price changes deal with "supply chain" issues and the range of the change depends on the model and battery used to power the vehicle.
"Ford is adjusting the [manufacturer's suggested retail price] on the Mustang Mach-E due to significant material cost increases, continued strain on key supply chains, and rapidly evolving market conditions, and will continue to monitor pricing across the model year," the auto giant said in a statement.
"The adjusted MSRP will go into effect for new orders placed starting Tuesday. Customers who have existing, unscheduled 2022 Model Year orders will receive a private offer to convert to a 2023 Model Year."
Ford said the new starting prices for the 2023 Mustang Mach-E will run from about $47,000 to $70,000, an increase from about $44,000 to $62,000 for the previous year's model.
Marin Gjaja, chief customer officer of Ford's electric vehicle division, Model e, said a FordCo-Pilot 360 Driver Assist Technology is being added to the entire MustangMach-E lineup.
"[The addition] gives more customers access to services like BlueCruise hands-free driving and future ADAS services through Ford Power-Up software updates," Gjaja said in a statement. "We're sharing these changes ahead of re-opening order banks on Tuesday so customers can understand the feature and pricing adjustments around ordering a MustangMach-E."

I realize its just another coincidence, but most if not all EV prices have been raised recently, all around the magic $7,500 number.

Ford raises prices on Mustang Mach-E models​

BY UPI
— 1:25 PM ET 08/26/2022

Ford Motor (F) said on Thursday it is increasing the starting price of its popular electric Mustang Mach-E crossover for some models by more than $8,000 as it opens orders for the 2023 model year.
Ford said the price changes deal with "supply chain" issues and the range of the change depends on the model and battery used to power the vehicle.
"Ford is adjusting the [manufacturer's suggested retail price] on the Mustang Mach-E due to significant material cost increases, continued strain on key supply chains, and rapidly evolving market conditions, and will continue to monitor pricing across the model year," the auto giant said in a statement.
"The adjusted MSRP will go into effect for new orders placed starting Tuesday. Customers who have existing, unscheduled 2022 Model Year orders will receive a private offer to convert to a 2023 Model Year."
Ford said the new starting prices for the 2023 Mustang Mach-E will run from about $47,000 to $70,000, an increase from about $44,000 to $62,000 for the previous year's model.
Marin Gjaja, chief customer officer of Ford's electric vehicle division, Model e, said a FordCo-Pilot 360 Driver Assist Technology is being added to the entire MustangMach-E lineup.
"[The addition] gives more customers access to services like BlueCruise hands-free driving and future ADAS services through Ford Power-Up software updates," Gjaja said in a statement. "We're sharing these changes ahead of re-opening order banks on Tuesday so customers can understand the feature and pricing adjustments around ordering a MustangMach-E."
They can send mine to California, they need it more. I'll take a V8 hybrid, please.

Last edited:
I'm curious what the next steps will be. Presumably in the next twenty years there will be legislation to:

1) Ban the construction of new fossil fuel stations (already taking place: https://www.latimes.com/california/...ties-ban-new-gas-stations-amid-climate-change)
2) Mandate the conversion of existing fossil fuel stations to "50/50" EV / fossil fuel status
3) Mandate the conversion of existing fossil fuel stations to "75/25" EV / fossil fuel status
4) Ban the sale of used gas powered vehicles
5) Mandate the conversion of existing fossil fuel stations to 100% fossil fuel status

This would be in keeping with the state's goals ending fossil fuel production (no fracking by 2024, no oil production by 2045). https://www.npr.org/2021/04/23/990368418/california-governor-moves-to-ban-fracking-by-2024

Advertisement
I'm curious what the next steps will be. Presumably in the next twenty years there will be legislation to:

1) Ban the construction of new fossil fuel stations (already taking place: https://www.latimes.com/california/...ties-ban-new-gas-stations-amid-climate-change)
2) Mandate the conversion of existing fossil fuel stations to "50/50" EV / fossil fuel status
3) Mandate the conversion of existing fossil fuel stations to "75/25" EV / fossil fuel status
5) Mandate the conversion of existing fossil fuel stations to 100% fossil fuel status

This would be in keeping with the state's goals ending fossil fuel production (no fracking by 2024, no oil production by 2045). https://www.npr.org/2021/04/23/990368418/california-governor-moves-to-ban-fracking-by-2024
I don't think it would be wise for any Gas Company to plan to or build the ones on the books in Cali. I think innovative entrepreneurs will buy and convert stations to fast recharge stations and even some existing gas companies will transition to express charge stations. #2 I don't think you need to Ban used because residents wouldn't by them and the state would not issue tags and registrations. Since used gas vehicles may come at a deep discount in Cali, residents and non will see it as a great opportunity to buy and sell in states outside Cali.

Need to open a car dealership and a home appliance store on the border of California. Become the richest person in history.

They will never be cheaper than gas vehicles.

It is not clean to produce these vehicles.

Advertisement

Wanted to share an unbiased non-political article fact based on "numbers" regarding the Electric Grids' ability to handle EV's. There are also some charging options on utility poles already in use in Britain. Also, an explanation of Smart Charging I had no knowledge of. If one follows a reasonable mind and not be blindly dedicated to party ideas and talking points, this article will demonstrate clearly the impact on the Electric Grid will easily be handled.

Wanted to share an unbiased non-political article fact based on "numbers" regarding the Electric Grids' ability to handle EV's. There are also some charging options on utility poles already in use in Britain. Also, an explanation of Smart Charging I had no knowledge of. If one follows a reasonable mind and not be blindly dedicated to party ideas and talking points, this article will demonstrate clearly the impact on the Electric Grid will easily be handled.

What happens in large cities like SF when thieves discover the charging cables have a resale value? Car windows are getting smashed now for pocket change.

1661946722325.png

Certainly, there will be criminals who take advantage of every situation, like stealing cars, radios, rims and catalyic converters etc. You'll even throw all your soul in support of guns when even you know there are many people stealing them and even worse using guns to murder thousands of Americans each year. Dude your opposition isn't with the technology, it's with your cultish dedication to the party line. Technological advancements are not hindered by politics. It will happen and one day some Republican will claim to have championed the EV revolution and all you sheep will fall in line.

Advertisement
For the record, I'm not anti-EV. I prefer hybrids and want ICE to happily coexist for enthusiasts.

Do you feel comforted that "a team did multiple impact and infrastructure studies before setting a cutoff date"? Was it the same team/committee that did studies on that high-speed rail from Los Angeles to San Francisco?

Advertisement
Back