Buzz from Saturday’s practice

View as article
Advertisement
RB room is 🥱
Chris Johnson was running with the first team and I'm hoping he ceases the opportunity to make some plays. I really like that kid.
We'll hit the portal for a big fish at the RB position though.

WR room needs a true #1.
X is who he is, but nobody else has established themselves as that alpha big dog in the room.
X was having his way with everybody on Saturday though. He made big play after big play.

OL room definitely looks the part. I'm most excited about this unit.

I thought the front-7 looked more impressive than I've seen in a very long time. They finally LOOK the part. I didn't see them giving up much in the running game. Lightfoot looks like a surefire NFL prospect. Blount is up to 275lbs so it's intriguing to see where he'll end up. I think Miami sees him as a DT.

I'm loving the first 2 TE's. Williams made some nice plays down-field and Arroyo looks like an NFL TE. I hope he can stay healthy.

Lofton!
Is a dude!
Not the best looking player you've ever seen in their uniform, but he is a ball player. He's being utilized all over the offense. He even got some carries at RB. I'm very excited about this kid.

I love Kaleb Spencer. True hybrid football player. Powell is a grown man.
I would like to see someone on the defense emerge as a "tone setter" though. ..an enforcer. Someone who's good for a nice pop every practice, to get the defense hyped. I heard that's something that they wish they had, and I kinda saw that for myself Saturday.
To be fair, I wasn't always close enough to the action to hear/see EVERYTHING...but I didn't notice a lot of intensity, pad poppin or **** talkin. I could be wrong.
Maybe it's youth or unfamiliarity, but many of the kids on defense seem to be "going through the motions" with what I observed. That's to be expected when kids are still learning though. Defense is about confidence.
Did you mean ceases, or siezes? Almost exact opposite meanings.

I am curious about what a #1 receiver is or should look like. We throw that phrase around a lot and talk about going out and getting a "true #1 receiver", but who in the heck are true #1s?

Across college football, how many exist? Was Brock Bowers a true #1 last year? Marvin Harrison, Jr? Malik Nabers?

Who's out there for next year? Luther Burden? Tre Harris?

These guys are RARE. When you guys talk about #1s, is this what you mean? Because if it is, then I think we're setting ourselves up to be disappointed
A true number one receiver is an alpha on the outside that isn’t limited. Make of that what you will, and there is plenty of those guys in CFB. And we need to bring one here to Miami in the portal, because we do not have one of those on this team currently.

A true number one receiver is an alpha on the outside that isn’t limited. Make of that what you will, and there is plenty of those guys in CFB. And we need to bring one here to Miami in the portal, because we do not have one of those on this team currently.
And you think we have the NIL to afford that, and the rest of positions we need? Doubtfull.

X is going to be one of top WRs in the ACC/Country this year. George was one last year, although he's nothing special. He can produce at a high level. He needs to stop being an idiot though. And all our young WRs are very talented. The young guys just gotta step up. If Horton or one of Trader/Carr step up we are more than just good at WR.

With our QB + Oline, our WRs will have a much easier path to success. If we get a top Portal RB who can actually get a 20 yard run once a month, it'll be even easier.

Next year having a TOP WR is so much more important than this year. We will be losing Ward and X. I really don't think people are accounting for NIL limitations. We need RB, S, and CB all more than WR right now imo. I'd take a TE transfer too.

If we get a WR transfer in spring, Its likely to be someone on Georges level. Its time for Horton or other young guys to step up.

Advertisement
I am curious about what a #1 receiver is or should look like. We throw that phrase around a lot and talk about going out and getting a "true #1 receiver", but who in the heck are true #1s?

Across college football, how many exist? Was Brock Bowers a true #1 last year? Marvin Harrison, Jr? Malik Nabers?

Who's out there for next year? Luther Burden? Tre Harris?

These guys are RARE. When you guys talk about #1s, is this what you mean? Because if it is, then I think we're setting ourselves up to be disappointed
I’m with you on this one!!! Because most schools around the country are saying the same things as we are in regards to a #1 WR. Also most certified guys aren’t just leaving their situations unless the money just too good to pass up.

I’m with you on this one!!! Because most schools around the country are saying the same things as we are in regards to a #1 WR. Also most certified guys aren’t just leaving their situations unless the money just too good to pass
We may not have a Michael Irvin or Andre Johnson on this team, but collectively, I like this group-- especially with more consistent QB play. Also Michigan just won a national title with Roman Wilson as their primary WR
This is disappointing to hear. Why not continue to recruit "football players" at every position? When a coach preaches process and toughness, it seems weird not to have a few guys who are just tough, physical football players, regardless of size. You can't have a roster full of "slow midgets", but you can have one or two if they increase the overall talent and Football IQ of your team.

When a farmer needs a job done, he doesn't hitch up a race horse to a plow. Sometimes you need that undersized kid, or a tough as **** hybrid player to do the dirty work so that your thoroughbreds can run free and show their pedigree.

I just hate how coaches get super enamored with measureables and forget that the #1 job for a football player is to be able (and willing) to play the game of football. Give me an 85-man roster with four or five X's and I'll show you a team that's competing for championships (ala Clemson, Michigan, Georgia, et al).

Elija Lofton is a football player. Im not saying measurables dont matter, but you need guys that can actually play the game

Shaq was sure tackler, I never picture him as a thumper. He had some hits. Guys I am thinking about, either you drop where you are or go backwards when they hit you. Not falling forward for a extra 2 yards.

Denzel was popping ****. Sudden and violent, as GOD intended linebackers to be made.

He's the best hitter I think I've ever seen. Other players might be better overall football players or in the HOF, but when it comes to hit power, DP is the goat to me.

He's the best hitter I think I've ever seen. Other players might be better overall football players or in the HOF, but when it comes to hit power, DP is the goat to me.
Perryman, Nate Webster, and Rod Carter are the 3 best hitters/thumpers IMO. Ray Lewis, Dan Morgan, and Micheal Barrow are the 3 best tacklers and overall best linebackers to me.

Advertisement
And you think we have the NIL to afford that, and the rest of positions we need? Doubtfull.

X is going to be one of top WRs in the ACC/Country this year. George was one last year, although he's nothing special. He can produce at a high level. He needs to stop being an idiot though. And all our young WRs are very talented. The young guys just gotta step up. If Horton or one of Trader/Carr step up we are more than just good at WR.

With our QB + Oline, our WRs will have a much easier path to success. If we get a top Portal RB who can actually get a 20 yard run once a month, it'll be even easier.

Next year having a TOP WR is so much more important than this year. We will be losing Ward and X. I really don't think people are accounting for NIL limitations. We need RB, S, and CB all more than WR right now imo. I'd take a TE transfer too.

If we get a WR transfer in spring, Its likely to be someone on Georges level. Its time for Horton or other young guys to step up.
Our NIL is top five in the country, that’s a fact. We have one of the most competitive NILs in the country and there is no denying that. This is a go for it year with Cam Ward on this team and you better believe Mario’s going to go for it. so I absolutely believe we will be in the market very competitively for a number one receiver to add to this team because that’s the only thing this offense is truly missing.

Our NIL is top five in the country, that’s a fact. We have one of the most competitive NILs in the country and there is no denying that. This is a go for it year with Cam Ward on this team and you better believe Mario’s going to go for it. so I absolutely believe we will be in the market very competitively for a number one receiver to add to this team because that’s the only thing this offense is truly missing.
And because of the Tennessee/Virginia lawsuits, we can tamper like crazy.

Should be in the running for “that guy” at a mid-level P4 school.

I’m with you on this one!!! Because most schools around the country are saying the same things as we are in regards to a #1 WR. Also most certified guys aren’t just leaving their situations unless the money just too good to pass up.

This is where I am with it. There are 130-some schools in FBS and about 120 of those schools are looking for a "true alpha who's not limited" (to quote @NicKane )

I'd say it's possible there are 10-15 such players in college football, who have shown it on this level. Of those two handfuls of players... who was up for sale? How many of them moved?

Are we considering Evan Stewart a true #1? I would vehemently disagree with that take.

What other players of this caliber transferred? The Alabama kid, Bond? Is he an Alpha or a speed guy who made some big plays in the Saban machine?

We did the smart thing, IMHO. We put our money into finding a trigger man. An awesome QB can make average players look much better. I think our WR core is slightly above average with a very high ceiling now that Cam Ward is behind center

Advertisement
Did you mean ceases, or siezes? Almost exact opposite meanings.
200.gif

Haven’t read all the pages, but I’m feeling good about Dylan day. I loved his tape and background coming in. He’s longer than I expected (pause). He’s going to need time like 99 percent of freshmen; but I think they got a serious player to develop there

Advertisement
Haven’t read all the pages, but I’m feeling good about Dylan day. I loved his tape and background coming in. He’s longer than I expected (pause). He’s going to need time like 99 percent of freshmen; but I think they got a serious player to develop there
He spits hot fire

He was good....but no way in **** could he hit like Rod Carter or Nate Webster. Carter was EASILY the most violent hitter on UM teams that had sh*tloads of guys that would blast you.

This is where I am with it. There are 130-some schools in FBS and about 120 of those schools are looking for a "true alpha who's not limited" (to quote @NicKane )

I'd say it's possible there are 10-15 such players in college football, who have shown it on this level. Of those two handfuls of players... who was up for sale? How many of them moved?

Are we considering Evan Stewart a true #1? I would vehemently disagree with that take.

What other players of this caliber transferred? The Alabama kid, Bond? Is he an Alpha or a speed guy who made some big plays in the Saban machine?

We did the smart thing, IMHO. We put our money into finding a trigger man. An awesome QB can make average players look much better. I think our WR core is slightly above average with a very high ceiling now that Cam Ward is behind center
Did you really type Stewart wasn't a #1 and hit send. Lmao y'all gotta fight back against these bitter *** takes. It's ok to acknowledge shortcomings without losing credibility.

I agree, but we truly need an elite RB to pair with Cam.

Defenses should have to choose between equally lethal run and passing games.

Advertisement
Back