Buzz from Saturday’s practice

View as article
Advertisement
Here are some Saturday practice tidbits from conversations with sources:

- Miami’s quarterback room is as deep as it’s been in years. In the past, the second and third team would barely function on offense (especially in spring with multiple guys out). Now, you have several QBs who can make plays.

Cam Ward and Reese Poffenbarger in particular had big days getting out of trouble with their legs and making strong throws. This is a much more creative QB room than in years past.

- You’ve been hearing the same three names from me all spring- JoJo Trader, Ny Carr and Elija Lofton. Nothing changed today. All three made huge plays, both on and off script. Lofton in particular is extremely versatile and impressive.

- Shemar Kirk had his best day of spring with multiple big plays down the field.

- Robert Stafford has the athletic tools to play CB. He can really run. Still needs some more strength and reps, and there may be growing pains, but he has real ability. He made a nice play downfield smothering Carr.

- Meesh Powell and Xavier Restrepo continue to battle in the slot. Both are hard workers and experienced playmakers. Restrepo made a beautiful one-handed catch on a pass behind him in the seam and numerous other big catches.

- Riley Williams and Elijah Arroyo look the part. They are huge. Williams continues to make big plays down the field.

- TreVonte Citizen absorbed some big hits and finished with physicality and lean.
D$ Based on what you’ve seen and practice, can any of these freshman WRs unseat Jacoby, George? I asked because his situational awareness leaves a lot to be desired.

Advertisement
**** I thought this kid was a mortal lock to be one of the 7-8 kids on the way out this summer (More if we're hitting portal as much as D-Money thinks)…Nice to hear his name.
No doubt! I thought the same thing. Great to hear that Shemar is out there making plays and looking good doing it. I may be in the minority but I'm very intrigued by this WR group. There is a lot of talent there albeit in varying stages of development but I'm getting the sense that the group as a whole is really beginning to develop. Granted this room will look very different in 2-3 years in terms of Mario and staff bringing in more elite type talents.

Even so, this particular group right now will continue to get better and better up to game 1 then throughout the season. We have the rock solid, super productive and unquestioned leader in Restrepo and Jacolby George bringing experience and big play ability. Then we have 3rd year WR Isaiah Horton who has attacked the off season and transformed his body while adding strength and more speed and is seemingly on the verge of a breakout year as the frontrunner for a starting spot on the outside opposite George. Then we have Ray Ray Joseph who flashed his explosive big play ability as a true freshman last year both as a WR and a return man followed by sophomore Robbie Washington. Washington is an explosive speedster who is dangerous with the ball in his hands. Washington can also return kicks in addition to playing CB. Next up is JC transfer Shemar Kirk who up until this spring has been invisible. Kirk is having a good spring and is coming on.

Finally we have our uber talented true freshmen WRs in Jojo Trader and Ny Carr who have been consistently making huge plays in practice since their arrival. Chance Robinson arrives in the summer and D$ says he looks like a college ready WR already with impressive physical characteristics.

This is shaping up to be a fairly deep WR corps. We still lack a true #1. Horton has a chance to develop into that this year and Jojo certainly has the ability but he's still a true freshman. Due to this there is a very good chance that the staff adds a WR in the post spring portal period. They likely wouldn't be interested in a depth piece and if they bring someone in it will be a player that the staff believes gives them that true #1 WR.

The thing that is going to make this entire group effective and productive will be the QB play. Cam Ward brings the type of skills at QB that we haven't seen at Miami in well over 30 years.

Advertisement
No doubt! I thought the same thing. Great to hear that Shemar is out there making plays and looking good doing it. I may be in the minority but I'm very intrigued by this WR group. There is a lot of talent there albeit in varying stages of development but I'm getting the sense that the group as a whole is really beginning to develop. Granted this room will look very different in 2-3 years in terms of Mario and staff bringing in more elite type talents.

Even so, this particular group right now will continue to get better and better up to game 1 then throughout the season. We have the rock solid, super productive and unquestioned leader in Restrepo and Jacolby George bringing experience and big play ability. Then we have 3rd year WR Isaiah Horton who has attacked the off season and transformed his body while adding strength and more speed and is seemingly on the verge of a breakout year as the frontrunner for a starting spot on the outside opposite George. Then we have Ray Ray Joseph who flashed his explosive big play ability as a true freshman last year both as a WR and a return man followed by sophomore Robbie Washington. Washington is an explosive speedster who is dangerous with the ball in his hands. Washington can also return kicks in addition to playing CB. Next up is JC transfer Shemar Kirk who up until this spring has been invisible. Kirk is having a good spring and is coming on.

Finally we have our uber talented true freshmen WRs in Jojo Trader and Ny Carr who have been consistently making huge plays in practice since their arrival. Chance Robinson arrives in the summer and D$ says he looks like a college ready WR already with impressive physical characteristics.

This is shaping up to be a fairly deep WR corps. We still lack a true #1. Horton has a chance to develop into that this year and Jojo certainly has the ability but he's still a true freshman. Due to this there is a very good chance that the staff adds a WR in the post spring portal period. They likely wouldn't be interested in a depth piece and if they bring someone in it will be a player that the staff believes gives them that true #1 WR.

The thing that is going to make this entire group effective and productive will be the QB play. Cam Ward brings the type of skills at QB that we haven't seen at Miami in well over 30 years.
I don’t see Horton as a #1. I think he is more of a 3 at best

Advertisement
I don’t see Horton as a #1. I think he is more of a 3 at best
I agree with you, he’s definitely not a number one to me, but I think he can be a solid number two at 2nd string. What I’ve seen from him since he’s been here, is that he is limited. Now maybe over the off-season he’s upped his physicality and physique and those physical limitations are gone but I have to see it first.

Last edited:
- Meesh Powell and Xavier Restrepo continue to battle in the slot. Both are hard workers and experienced playmakers. Restrepo made a beautiful one-handed catch on a pass behind him in the seam and numerous other big catches.

Sorry...what, excuse my ignorance but I've never heard of Powell, how is there a "battle" there?
Meesh Powell is the nickle/safety Miami acquired in the first portal window from Washington.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back