Buying out of the ACC... This may be a good or a dumb question.

Right and who the **** has $500m to spend to get out. ACC knows what happens when schools start jumping ship. Just look at the PAC12. Now that those dummies at fsu opened their traps and put their intentions out in public, there’s no need for anyone to give them a discount to leave. They intend to break free of a contract that they’re tied to for over 10 more years. They should’ve been smarter about it and tried to quietly get the 7 or 8 teams together to jump at once by surprising the ACC and not giving the league the time to break free. Clemson is probably ****ed that FSU dragged their name into it.
Correct. No team can afford to break out alone. Best option is go in a group so that those other schools waive their right to their cut of your fee, but that would require a conference willing to take those hypothetical 7-8 teams which essentially means the whole conference. The ACC situation is actually pretty fascinating. People who think any one program can just leave is delusional b/c of the GOR they all signed.

Advertisement
the schools that have moved recently did so when their respective GORs were up or nearing the end (UT and OU moved to the SEC with only a few years left on their GOR with the big 12 and I think they negotiated to get out 1 year early and the pac 12 was more attractive bc USC and UCLA left with 1 year left and this past year there was no GOR linking anyone to the pac 12).
This is such a key point-- reality is the ACC deal is a great one for stability and a terrible one if you are program that wants to leave, which i suppose was the whole point to begin with.

Correct. No team can afford to break out alone. Best option is go in a group so that those other schools waive their right to their cut of your fee, but that would require a conference willing to take those hypothetical 7-8 teams which essentially means the whole conference. The ACC situation is actually pretty fascinating. People who think any one program can just leave is delusional b/c of the GOR they all signed.
They can't just leave and "waive their right to their cut of your fee".You either dissolve the conference so there is NO exit fee ... or the exit fee applies. Any team can leave any time ... just pay the exit fee and understand you are leaving your media rights for home games with ESPN / ACC. Then it is up to your media partner in your new conference to negotiate with ESPN to see if they can work a deal on your home game media rights. Very few programs have a brand and strong enough viewership for a media partner in another conference to WANT you and have to go through that trouble. APPARENTLY FSU / Miami are desirable enough to FOX / B10 that they MIGHT agree to go along with an approach like that. We will see what happens with FSU between now and August 15, 2024.

How the **** did the ACC get itself into this mess in the first place? Who signs a 20 or 25 year contract that your are unable to get out of?
Is this typical? The other conferences do that?

I can understand a greedy ACC commissioner wanting close this long term deal to get his cut, but how the **** did all the ACC schools sign off on this deal? Nobody had the foresight to think this might not be a idea?

We are so screwed now, We’ll be make 30+ million less a year than teams in the BIG10 and SEC.
No way, we’ll be able to compete in the future if we don’t get out of this **** conference.

How the **** did the ACC get itself into this mess in the first place? Who signs a 20 or 25 year contract that your are unable to get out of?

I can understand a greedy ACC commissioner wanting close this long term deal to get his cut, but how the **** did all the ACC schools sign off on this deal? Nobody had the foresight to think this might not be a idea?

We are so screwed now, We’ll be make 30+ million less a year than teams in the BIG10 and SEC.
No way, we’ll be able to compete in the future if we don’t get out of this **** conference.
The unfortunate answer to your question is yes.
Yes they all agreed to a bad deal.
Yes they can’t get out of the deal unless the TV partner chooses to let them out of the deal. Not happening.
Yes that means ACC teams will receive much less in TV revenue than their major conference opponents.

Advertisement

A tragedy in three acts

Act 1: Conference is first to market in early 2010s TV round. Commissioner is unusually preoccupied with making sure a regional broadcaster that employs his son has a stake. Doesn’t purse TV network.

Act 2: Conference realizes they signed an undermarket contract. Adds schools and goes back to media company asking for more money. Still does not pursue TV network. Media company agrees to more money in exchange for six more years. 10 year contract is now 16 year contract.

Act 3: Conference realizes its peers are making a lot of money with a TV network. Desperately goes back to media company to get one (even though cable subs are now in decline). Media company agrees in exchange for another 9 years and schools handcuffing themselves together. 10 year contract is now a 25 year contract.

Isn't the real issue with the new GORs that no real value was added on either side? Thus, the first GOR should still be the binding one for schools that signed in 2010.

A tragedy in three acts

Act 1: Conference is first to market in early 2010s TV round. Commissioner is unusually preoccupied with making sure a regional broadcaster that employs his son has a stake. Doesn’t purse TV network.

Act 2: Conference realizes they signed an undermarket contract. Adds schools and goes back to media company asking for more money. Still does not pursue TV network. Media company agrees to more money in exchange for six more years. 10 year contract is now 16 year contract.

Act 3: Conference realizes its peers are making a lot of money with a TV network. Desperately goes back to media company to get one (even though cable subs are now in decline). Media company agrees in exchange for another 9 years and schools handcuffing themselves together. 10 year contract is now a 25 year contract.
That explains it.
Trifecta of corruption, incompetence and negligence.

A tragedy in three acts

Chris Farley Dancing GIF

I cant see real good. Is that Bill Shakespeare over there?

Advertisement
Is there any way Miami would be able to afford paying ALL the money they are saying to leave the ACC, if they put all their money together? I have no idea.
If they could, why wouldn't we put something together to say, "Hey, we can afford to buy out, if needed." I would think that is what the BIG and SEC are waiting for, can one of these ACC teams buy out? If so, no burden on the BIG or SEC. They do not want baggage. I think both conferences would be interested in that team quickly, if that were to happen.
If it is possible, does it make sense?
Who is this “they” you speak of?

Is there any way Miami would be able to afford paying ALL the money they are saying to leave the ACC, if they put all their money together? I have no idea.
If they could, why wouldn't we put something together to say, "Hey, we can afford to buy out, if needed." I would think that is what the BIG and SEC are waiting for, can one of these ACC teams buy out? If so, no burden on the BIG or SEC. They do not want baggage. I think both conferences would be interested in that team quickly, if that were to happen.
If it is possible, does it make sense?
No

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back