Butch vs. Golden in recruiting

Advertisement
You can talk about butch not being concerned about strars, and he out-evaluated everyone
But the biggest moment and when the momentum became unstoppable was when DJ committed to us

http://niketalk.yuku.com/topic/232912#.TxSq6aN5mSM

And I also believe that sudden national success was why Larry failed at keeping enough of the lower starred locals home.
He seemed pressed to load up on stars and little in terms of real evaluation.

DJ was huge, and ended up being the better player, but people forget how big the Kenny Kelly commit was. *He was #1 in the nation, a few years before the DJ commit, and I think that was a big turning point.

You can talk about butch not being concerned about strars, and he out-evaluated everyone
But the biggest moment and when the momentum became unstoppable was when DJ committed to us

http://niketalk.yuku.com/topic/232912#.TxSq6aN5mSM

And I also believe that sudden national success was why Larry failed at keeping enough of the lower starred locals home.
He seemed pressed to load up on stars and little in terms of real evaluation.

DJ was huge, and ended up being the better player, but people forget how big the Kenny Kelly commit was. *He was #1 in the nation, a few years before the DJ commit, and I think that was a big turning point.

yeah I do remember Kenny Kelly as a big time recruit
ironically, it wasn't until a skinny kid from California took the reigns did we realize our potential
looking at Larry's first couple of classes, wow they were talented

I think it's way too early to tell. Some of AG's takes do seem very Butch-esque though (Witt comes to mind immediately, as does pegging Flowers and Carter early before other schools came along). Butch nailed evaluations so well.

Hard work counts for a lot in recruiting, though, and I really believe just about anyone with it can do well at Miami.... and AG's got it in abundance, I believe.

I guess I somewhat disagree with the hard work part. You can work hard at recruiting but if you're identifying the wrong guys you're actually working hard at failure. It's really about knowing what to look for, asking the right questions and giving the right answer ie identify/ evaluate who you want and then go get them.

On the flip side you can't be good at evaulating and then not et the guys you want. it's somehwere in between but mostley evaluating guys IMO

Advertisement
Back