Butch vs. Golden in recruiting

WhoDat

Junior
For the old-timers on this board that followed recruiting in the 90's. How would compare these two in recruiting? Is one more aggressive than the other? Did Butch get most of his kids from his MET-Rx camps?

I know it's still too early to tell. But any Butch fans have complaints about AG?

Advertisement
I think it's way too early to tell. Some of AG's takes do seem very Butch-esque though (Witt comes to mind immediately, as does pegging Flowers and Carter early before other schools came along). Butch nailed evaluations so well.

Hard work counts for a lot in recruiting, though, and I really believe just about anyone with it can do well at Miami.... and AG's got it in abundance, I believe.

I think it's way too early to tell. Some of AG's takes do seem very Butch-esque though (Witt comes to mind immediately, as does pegging Flowers and Carter early before other schools came along). Butch nailed evaluations so well.

Hard work counts for a lot in recruiting, though, and I really believe just about anyone with it can do well at Miami.... and AG's got it in abundance, I believe.

This. Butch didnt care about star rankings, he has a gift for seeing potential in players. He could also sell bloomers to strippers, that didnt hurt either.

These camps actually remind me of someone else, Mack Brown from Texas. One of the things Mack did when he got to Texas was get kids locked up in grade 10 and 11. I don't think we'll ever own Florida like how UT owns Texas but I think we can do a pretty good job of landing some studs early. FSU and UF are just too big of schools to completely own them in recruiting.

Butch vs. Golden Great question. A little too early to tell with Golden, though I like what I've seen so far.

We can say this for sure: Golden is the best recruiter since Butch.

Maybe anyone *can* do it well at Miami, but the last do didn't.

Advertisement
Well said, Orlando. Al doesn't seme to take anything for granted, where Randy clearly did. Coker was overwhelmed with the choices he had to make and didn't fight hard enough when kids that we should have had went other places.

Agree with general consesus from above. Seems like we're on the right path, but time will tell...gotta take all this and put up W's. I think both Al and Butch are relentless and don't care about the nay-sayers...they know what they want in a kid and will take him if he fits their criteria.

Also, the JR. Day thing does indeed scream Mack Brown. Getting kids (and their parents) familiar with the school prior to their SR. year seems to work for him.

It's great that we are getting on kids early and planting that seed before they start to take off. But in no way do I wanna be like Mack Brown and Texas, having your entire class pretty much filled up before they even finish their Junior year. Texas has missed out on a lot of kids doing that. And if it wasn't for getting a once a generation type player like Vince Young, they'd no championships in recent memory. Granted, they still have done much better than us, and I would take that over the crap we've had, but they should be doing better. Especially the last couple of years. Every year we see a good amount of kids around this time of the year that people talk about being one of the best upcoming players, only for those kids to fall completely off the map their senior years and end up somewhere in C-USA or the MAC.

It's great that we are getting on kids early and planting that seed before they start to take off. But in no way do I wanna be like Mack Brown and Texas, having your entire class pretty much filled up before they even finish their Junior year. Texas has missed out on a lot of kids doing that. And if it wasn't for getting a once a generation type player like Vince Young, they'd no championships in recent memory. Granted, they still have done much better than us, and I would take that over the crap we've had, but they should be doing better. Especially the last couple of years. Every year we see a good amount of kids around this time of the year that people talk about being one of the best upcoming players, only for those kids to fall completely off the map their senior years and end up somewhere in C-USA or the MAC.

I doubt we will ever be able to fill up an entire class with the competition we have in Florida, but we can get some pretty **** good studs early.

Advertisement

Just judging by what we've seen. It looks as if Golden will have 70% of his class filled before the season starts. Most of the commits coming from his camps. I guess he leaves a small percentage for Dec/Jan to fill out his class rather than most schools trying to fill up in just 2 months.

The season is like 8 months away though. I don't know about this year, but Texas would normally have like literally 90+% of their class filled up by right now. You need to give kids a chance to develop.

You can talk about butch not being concerned about strars, and he out-evaluated everyone
But the biggest moment and when the momentum became unstoppable was when DJ committed to us

http://niketalk.yuku.com/topic/232912#.TxSq6aN5mSM

And I also believe that sudden national success was why Larry failed at keeping enough of the lower starred locals home.
He seemed pressed to load up on stars and little in terms of real evaluation.

Great thread. Butch and AG seem similar in drive - they both seem to have that insatiable motor to round up the recruits they want. Both are creative in their day, and challenges.

For example, Butch with the track schollie wrinkles when he came in and Al with camps, social media, etc, - it was almost instantaneous how the U went from the stone age to bleeding edge in communications within months of Al getting here.

We know Butch is a great evaluator of talent and at the moment we think Al is, but the jury is still out, too early yet. One thing for sure, the momentum is back in the program with Al - feels very similar to "the Butch effect" regaining steam.

Advertisement
I think there are similarities in their approach, the jury is still out on whether Golden has the same eye for talent. I find it refreshing that we have a staff that has been working their *** off on the 2012 class and has already been all over the place working on 2013 kids. This will payoff down the road, next year may be rough in the win-loss column but I have to believe we are heading in the right direction.

Never thought about it that way. Def a possibility.

You can talk about butch not being concerned about strars, and he out-evaluated everyone
But the biggest moment and when the momentum became unstoppable was when DJ committed to us

And I also believe that sudden national success was why Larry failed at keeping enough of the lower starred locals home.

Way to early to tell but i think they have a similar strategy. Stars arent the biggest factor to them, which i actually like. Golden looks to be a beast so i hope he recruits just as good as butch

Advertisement
Recruiting breaks down into two skills: evaluations, and selling. Work ethic helps for both, though evaluations is an art as much as anything.

That said, the dynamic is very different today from 12-15 years ago because of technology. Film used to be hard(er) to come by. Today, it's all available everywhere, for everyone. Recruiting sites and camps today identify top kids earlier and disseminate the info broadly. Recruiting sites also hype kids decisions and comments, with consequences on recruiting.

Butch's great advantage was he was one of the best evaluators ever. That skill means he'll always recruit well. Tme will tell how well AG evaluates, but his approach (effort, organization, attitude, events, salesmanship) seems spot-on IMO. IF he evauates well, look out.

Never thought about it that way. Def a possibility.

That's too kind to Larry, IMO. He was clueless. A rockier start wouldn't have helped him focus on recruiting. His whole approach to recruiting was amateur hour.

Watching Hakeem Nicks and TJ Yates ball yesterday just reaffirmed to me Butch's evaluation and development abilities. I mean, TJ Yates???? I mean he not only put guys in the league he put guys in the league who make a difference.

Advertisement
Back