Butch update per FootballScoop

VaTech has their **** together, Miami not so much.

Miami said there will be a thorough search.
I would hope that would include, in addition to Butch, Patterson and Herman.
Get Patterson in here now, Herman on Sunday, make a decision and put a little bow on this baby on Monday morning.

Advertisement
Butch is unemployed. If we were just gonna end up with him then what took so long? Miami is so incompetent. He could've been hired weeks ago, built a staff and on the trail recruiting.

It's a dead period now....there is no recruiting going on.

They are conducting the search in a proper manner.

You gonna marry the first girl you f**k? No, you wait to see if anything better comes along...

Butch is unemployed. If we were just gonna end up with him then what took so long? Miami is so incompetent. He could've been hired weeks ago, built a staff and on the trail recruiting.

Advertisement

You gonna marry the first girl you f**k? No, you wait to see if anything better comes along...

They could have interviewed Butch a month ago. Instead they were busy listening to former players ball wash Mario Cristobal. How have other programs been able to fill their vacancies so quickly? This whole process reeks of incompetence and amateurism.

They could have interviewed Butch a month ago. Instead they were busy listening to former players ball wash Mario Cristobal. How have other programs been able to fill their vacancies so quickly? This whole process reeks of incompetence and amateurism.

Too many decision makers IMHO. They cannot agree because too many of them have to agree.

Too many decision makers IMHO. They cannot agree because too many of them have to agree.
Yep. This is the problem with having an impotent AD. So among the BOT they probably had a pro Butch faction who had to convince the anti Butch faction. For all we know that conversation is ongoing. And then there are probably some **** bent on hiring an NFL guy (i.e., Chud). Meanwhile who the **** knows what Korn Ferry is up to. The bottom line though is that I'd be shocked if they had any semblance of a plan. They seem to be winging it.

I told you guys. The news will start coming from other outlets in the media now.

It would appear that they are holding out to see if they can get a big name coach. It doesn't even appear to me that Davis even has an offer yet. I think that your contact may have led you down the garden path my friend.

Advertisement

Spot on!

Spot on!
The irony is that the UM job is now the 2nd best job available behind the UGA job. I will eat my hat if the foot dragging ends with a Chip Kelly (or similar high profile coach) hire, but my suspicion is that they ultimately want Butch but need to get a hundred different people to sign off on it. If that is the case, the delay is doing nothing but hurting recruiting.

Advertisement
If Butch was going to be the coach they wanted they would've hired him by now. They want chip or herman and if that doesn't work out we go with Butch

Actually the timing of this makes perfect sense if you think about it. Clearly Butch is not the top choice, but he's in the mix. They are looking at him as a fall back option. That means you keep him in the process and vet him properly, but you try to slow play him a bit while you wait to see if any of your top choices are interested and/or available. Im sure they have been keeping tabs/ sniffing around guys like Chip Kelly and Pagano, which may not be possibilities yet or at all. The longer they can wait to see if one of those guys becomes possible, while keeping Butch on the hook, its actually the best play for UM.

All this means is that Butch is on the "Maybe" list, but he's not the main candidate. But he's being looked at as a real possibility if the wish list guys don't pan out.

Advertisement
Actually the timing of this makes perfect sense if you think about it. Clearly Butch is not the top choice, but he's in the mix. They are looking at him as a fall back option. That means you keep him in the process and vet him properly, but you try to slow play him a bit while you wait to see if any of your top choices are interested and/or available. Im sure they have been keeping tabs/ sniffing around guys like Chip Kelly and Pagano, which may not be possibilities yet or at all. The longer they can wait to see if one of those guys becomes possible, while keeping Butch on the hook, its actually the best play for UM.

All this means is that Butch is on the "Maybe" list, but he's not the main candidate. But he's being looked at as a real possibility if the wish list guys don't pan out.

But we need to hurry up and hire a coach to keep the recruiting class.

Perhaps. I would think they'd get an answer from their top targets pretty quickly. Either they're interested or they're not. If they're interested, then you have conversations with them and see where it takes you. I doubt Chip or any other similar coach is interested.

The only real alternative to Butch right now is Richt.

Lots of Dan Mullen talk yesterday. I think he is an alternative to Butch. I still want Butch but Mullen would be pretty good too. Unless there was no truth to it.

My take is different. They understand that Butch is the right choice at this moment and thanks to the mess they created, the only choice with any chance of saving the program. They also remember him basically standing on his desk ****ing on everyone when he quit. Plus, the uprising among the faithful has been load and violent. The pressure to hire him to quiet the natives is huge but these are people who are all about power. They do not like the fact that they were forced to fire Golden and do not want to appear bending to pressure again.

Solution: Find someone big enough to shut us up -- like Chip. If no big name take the job then they can fool themselves into believing they hire Butch because he as best available(which is true) an not because we MADE them do it.

Advertisement
Back