Butch quotes from this week

The last quote is why I wasn't all gung ho about les miles... dude can't recruit/develop a QB to save his life.

Advertisement
"Seven out of the top ten teams run pro style offenses. So that's what you really want to do to maximize your chances."

Pro style doesn't mean the same thing as it did 5 or 10 years ago. Pro offenses use a combo of spread principles, read option, and "pro style". All the teams in the top 10, minus Iowa and Stanford do the same.

Last edited:
"Seven out of the top ten teams run pro style offenses. So that's what you really want to do to maximize your chances."

But..but, I thought spread is the new wave in college football. Pro style is outdated. If we want to win and remain relevant we have to switch to a spread offense.

SN: I read an article awhile back where a lot of nfl coaches/scouts were complaining that the spread does not adequately prepare players for the next level. This is especially the case with QBs.

That "seven out of 10" quote is wrong (depending on which poll Butch is looking at).

1. Clemson - spread
2. Bama - pro style
3. Oklahoma - spread
4. Iowa - pro style (but their O stinks)
5. Michigan st - pro style
6. Notre Dame - spread (hybrid maybe more accurate)
7. Baylor - spread
8. Ohio st - spread
9. Stanford - pro style
10. Michigan - pro style

And who cares which offense prepares players for the league? I want to win championships. It's not like we have a rich tradition of stud QBs in the NFL.

Who agrees with Butch that:

Brad Kaaya has great mobility?
Our talented receivers stand out?

I think Kaaya has gotten better with moving around in the pocket and buying time for his receivers to get downfield, especially with a sub-par offensive line. Aaron Rodgers is similar, not necessarily "mobile" but great at maneuvering in the pocket. As for our receivers, I think they are good as a group but also have been limited due to the playcalling of James Coley, so they tend to look average at best.

Naw Rodgers can actually run and can be considered mobile kaaya can not IMO. However he has shown improvement this year. Especially with being mobile in the pocket, avoiding sacks and extending the play

Rogers is good athlete , 4.5-4.6 guy

Advertisement
Whether pro-style, spread, or the dreaded "multiple", the fundamental tenants of winning football games still apply:

- run the football
- stop the run

Regardless of your philosophy, these are two things that are vital to the success of a football team - and two things we've been unable to do consistently.

Conversions. If you're unable to consistently convert on <3 to go, you can't win important football games. Regardless of set, you need a power run game in today's playoff landscape. You potentially face 3 straight above average defenses.

But..but, I thought spread is the new wave in college football. Pro style is outdated. If we want to win and remain relevant we have to switch to a spread offense.

SN: I read an article awhile back where a lot of nfl coaches/scouts were complaining that the spread does not adequately prepare players for the next level. This is especially the case with QBs.

That "seven out of 10" quote is wrong (depending on which poll Butch is looking at).

1. Clemson - spread
2. Bama - pro style
3. Oklahoma - spread
4. Iowa - pro style (but their O stinks)
5. Michigan st - pro style
6. Notre Dame - spread (hybrid maybe more accurate)
7. Baylor - spread
8. Ohio st - spread
9. Stanford - pro style
10. Michigan - pro style

And who cares which offense prepares players for the league? I want to win championships. It's not like we have a rich tradition of stud QBs in the NFL.

Almost every single one of those teams has an effective power run game. Clemson's is sketchy, as it depends on their QB and a lot of motion that becomes the dreaded "extension of the run game." Depending on matchup vs another team's front, it's not crazy to expect them to struggle in the playoff series. Thing is... Watson is really, really good. Having a difference maker like that changes everything at the college level.

Last edited:
@MichaelPerchick: At UNC, Butch Davis went 28-23. Of those 23 losses, 16 were by 7 or fewer points. His teams typically show up every single week
11/30/15, 11:22 PM

Broke, next time you rip a direct quote from someone, credit the man.

I copied and pasted it from Twitter on my phone, so please stfu.

That doesn't mean you can play if off as if it were your own. Plagiarism should be ban-worthy.

Dawg get over yourself, im not some **** aspiring news journalist or in English 1101, this is a message board. Foh

Advertisement
Back