Butch quotes from this week

CaneInTheBrain

Thunderdome
Inside the mind of a great coach. On the radio...

"Miami's quarterback, Brad Kaaya, is excellent. Great mobility, great arm. Accurate. I don't know his offense but looks like he doesn't make a lot of mistakes out there, which is good."

"They (Miami) look like they have some talented receivers."

"Seven out of the top ten teams run pro style offenses. So that's what you really want to do to maximize your chances."

"I really believe you need to be able to run the ball. You can't beat a GOOD team if you can't take it to them and gain yards on the ground and be physical."

"I think the issue that stands out when I look at Miami is on the other side of the ball. They finished with the 80th ranked total defense. If you look at all the top teams, they at least have defenses ranked above 30. At least. Maybe better. I think they need to get that fixed and get at least to that level, and be constantly improving there."

(on Miami) "One thing I notice, not having seen a lot of their games, is they don't stop the run. That's a mentality. I come from the school of thought that says you have to commit to stopping the run in order to have a great defense. It frustrates the heck out of the other team when you make them one-dimensional."

"You have to be able to develop your quarterback and throw the ball. That was LSU's problem - by the second half of the year teams were stacking 8 or 9 in the box against Fournette and LSU really had no answer for it. That's maybe something they failed to do. So I would guess they'll be getting a new offensive coordinator this year. What are they, on their third one in three years now? But anyway, that's just speculation on my part."

Advertisement
It's all about BALANCE. With it, you can run or pass as needed. You always pose a dual threat, and the other team can not overcompensate one, because they'll be torched with the other.

BALANCE recognizes the importance of Time of Possession. Long drives beat up defenses. Then quick strikes tear their hearts out.

BALANCE on defense means that you can play the run or pass equally well. That you can attack at will. That you take away the opponent's strength. That you dictate.

The real purpose of the pro style is to attract the best recruits, the ones that want to go to the NFL. It's an important recruiting tool.

This is what made the Canes great. They were a different style. Butch understands this. He was an important architect of it. He'll bring it back.

"Seven out of the top ten teams run pro style offenses. So that's what you really want to do to maximize your chances."

But..but, I thought spread is the new wave in college football. Pro style is outdated. If we want to win and remain relevant we have to switch to a spread offense.

SN: I read an article awhile back where a lot of nfl coaches/scouts were complaining that the spread does not adequately prepare players for the next level. This is especially the case with QBs.

At UNC, Butch Davis went 28-23. Of those 23 losses, 16 were by 7 or fewer points. His teams typically show up every single week

This is important about his tenure at unc that people continue to dismiss his record may not have been great there but they were a tough team

Last edited:
Advertisement
Whether pro-style, spread, or the dreaded "multiple", the fundamental tenants of winning football games still apply:

- run the football
- stop the run

Regardless of your philosophy, these are two things that are vital to the success of a football team - and two things we've been unable to do consistently.

@MichaelPerchick: At UNC, Butch Davis went 28-23. Of those 23 losses, 16 were by 7 or fewer points. His teams typically show up every single week
11/30/15, 11:22 PM

Broke, next time you rip a direct quote from someone, credit the man.

Advertisement
@MichaelPerchick: At UNC, Butch Davis went 28-23. Of those 23 losses, 16 were by 7 or fewer points. His teams typically show up every single week

I copied and pasted it from Twitter on my phone, so please stfu.

Advertisement
Who agrees with Butch that:

Brad Kaaya has great mobility?
Our talented receivers stand out?

I think Kaaya has gotten better with moving around in the pocket and buying time for his receivers to get downfield, especially with a sub-par offensive line. Aaron Rodgers is similar, not necessarily "mobile" but great at maneuvering in the pocket. As for our receivers, I think they are good as a group but also have been limited due to the playcalling of James Coley, so they tend to look average at best.

I doubt it's exactly what he meant, but Kaaya has definitely improved his mobility within the pocket and hit a couple nice throws while getting flushed against Pitt. Not a true mobile QB, but not the statue he was last year either.

Butch is most likely referring to Kayaa's mobility within the pocket. No one will mistake him for Mike Vick any time soon, but you can also be considered mobile if you're quick within the pocket and can avoid the rush. He's vastly improved there.

Scott and Waters are gone. Only WR left to impress me is Coley. Berrios is a massive bust, and Cager and Brady are slow and can't get separation. More Golden Big 10 WRs. But Coley and Njoku at TE are nice weapons. Hopefully Butch hangs out to this WR class, we need an infusion of explosive athletes on the outside. Miami speed is dead.

Advertisement

I think Kaaya has gotten better with moving around in the pocket and buying time for his receivers to get downfield, especially with a sub-par offensive line. Aaron Rodgers is similar, not necessarily "mobile" but great at maneuvering in the pocket. As for our receivers, I think they are good as a group but also have been limited due to the playcalling of James Coley, so they tend to look average at best.

Naw Rodgers can actually run and can be considered mobile kaaya can not IMO. However he has shown improvement this year. Especially with being mobile in the pocket, avoiding sacks and extending the play

Naw Rodgers can actually run and can be considered mobile kaaya can not IMO. However he has shown improvement this year. Especially with being mobile in the pocket, avoiding sacks and extending the play

Aaron routinely scrambles for two or three first downs per game. I don't know that I've seen Kaaya run for three first downs in his entire career here.

Butch is most likely referring to Kayaa's mobility within the pocket. No one will mistake him for Mike Vick any time soon, but you can also be considered mobile if you're quick within the pocket and can avoid the rush. He's vastly improved there.

Scott and Waters are gone. Only WR left to impress me is Coley. Berrios is a massive bust, and Cager and Brady are slow and can't get separation. More Golden Big 10 WRs. But Coley and Njoku at TE are nice weapons. Hopefully Butch hangs out to this WR class, we need an infusion of explosive athletes on the outside. Miami speed is dead.

All of this.

I don't think he was referring to mobility as we typically think of it, just his mobility within the pocket.

And we desperately need to infuse this team with some burners on the outside. I hope Coley stays...I can see him having a monster season next year. Njoku is the key here - if Butch is bringing in Dorsey or whomever to run a pro style offense Njoku is going to see a ton of opportunities. I like the way Kaaya attacks the middle of the field and we should only see these guys get better at it.

I copied and pasted it from Twitter on my phone, so please stfu.

That doesn't mean you can play if off as if it were your own. Plagiarism should be ban-worthy.

Advertisement
Back