Butch hire timing

The sooner Butch can evaluate the current coaching staff and the recruits committed for 2016, the faster he can wrap up recruiting and start to remake the team.

Advertisement
If BD is the guy, make it known NOW. It is entirely a Waste of time to Prolong the announcement! Announce now and the current players will raise their Play. Also, Parents and Coaches of Top S. Fla Recruits committed elsewhere will say, "Hey, you/we should rethink that commitment. BD is an incredible developer of talent, etc."

Announcement now!

As the day gets closer, there'll be additional leaks. By the time of the Pitt game, everyone will know, and we'll just be waiting for the formal announcement.

The BOT likely feels that they'd be undermining Larry, and destabilize the staff even further.

All in all, I believe it should be now. They ought to formally announce Butch's hiring, effective immediately.

I'm not so sure Butch gets the job. The more posts I read that make it sound like it's a foregone conclusion the more skeptical I get that the BOT will hire him. Where does everyone get all this from anyway? Is it that guy on Canesport Canevette? If it is that's quite a flimsy foundation from which to base any kind of judgement. That poster is a bigger fraud than Miss Cleo. I'm pretty sure this is the same guy Danny boy got his "scoops" from.

I'm all for hiring Butch Davis but I would like to seriously guage Herman's interest and a few others before we shut this thing down. Having said that, I wouldn't be the least bit upset if they announced Butch tomorrow.
Agreed. I think people are jumping the gun. Cvette's info us usually garbage.

This **** is going straight up Jim Jones cult. Why not take your time and explore all options?
Agreed. I'd be happy if we ultimately end up with Butch but they should explore all options. We all know Chip Kelly is a long shot but maybe he decides he likes the college game better than the NFL. Herman and Fuente are looking better each week. No need to rush this. Butch isn't going anywhere.

I don't care about Herman's interests. Sure he is interested. He is too Risky.....hasn't done anything!

This **** is going straight up Jim Jones cult. Why not take your time and explore all options?
Agreed. I'd be happy if we ultimately end up with Butch but they should explore all options. We all know Chip Kelly is a long shot but maybe he decides he likes the college game better than the NFL. Herman and Fuente are looking better each week. No need to rush this. Butch isn't going anywhere.

I don't care about Herman's interests. Sure he is interested. He is too Risky.....hasn't done anything!
That's your opinion and you are entitled to it but the results say otherwise. Every candidate carries risk, including Butch.

Advertisement
Sounds good to me....

If the rumors are true, if the BoT is backing Butch Davis, is there really a need to continue this search all the way up until the end of the season? If they feel that Butch is the right guy to do the job, he should get as much time as he needs to get settled here, put his assistants in place, and begin his recruiting campaign.

Also, we've been all over the media for the past couple of weeks between Goldilocks being canned and #TheReturn . If we can get wins against UVA and UNC, we will pick up some national media attention and I feel that would be the best time to strike. It is important to keep the ball rolling with that, more talk about theU on potential recruit TVs.

I understand some of you guys here want the committee to do their due diligence and leave no stone unturned. That being said, I don't think Miami wants to get into a bid war for guys like Herman/Fuente or wait until NFL regular season is over to scoop guys like Chud or Jackson.

Butch is the guy in my eyes and the sooner we can get him down here the better.

They're exploring all options, as they should. It doesn't have to be public. I don't think this is an easy call and we don't gain a lot from announcing Butch (or anyone, maybe outside of Chip Kelly) right now.

No rush, I would ask Chip, if he doesn't want it, Bring Butch Back

Where you planning asking Chip to dinner or something? Cause he is not going the the next Hurricane Head Coach. If Philly has had enough of him, maybe Titans will pick him up -- they need a coach.

Chip has a So Cause. Vest man never got another college coaching job, see So Cause, and he actually won a NC. Well paid an official to steal one for him. I will grant that Chip would be biggest splash hire Miami ever made but the splash would come from his belly flopping into Biscayne Bay.

I heard that the BOT is open to bids on new coach choice. I believe minimum donation to cast one vote is $100,000. I think Butch's voters are forming a line. All those who want Chip, get that check written.

I would be ok if they hired Butch. Having said that, I think its important that they conduct a thorough search to find the best coach. I think what happened at USC with Sark is a perfect example of the downside of not doing a thorough search.

Advertisement
His hiring should be announced one hour before the Sec title game.

The frustrating part is those who would be happy with Butch but don't necessarily view him as the No. 1 option (myself included) almost have to preface any valid concern or widely accepted criticism of him by saying that. If we don't, we're immediately labeled as anti-Butch by those who won't accept any other candidate.

It's sad what some of the discussion has deteriorated into lately.

Advertisement
They're exploring all options, as they should. It doesn't have to be public. I don't think this is an easy call and we don't gain a lot from announcing Butch (or anyone, maybe outside of Chip Kelly) right now.

Yup
Zero rush.....being thorough

The frustrating part is those who would be happy with Butch but don't necessarily view him as the No. 1 option (myself included) almost have to preface any valid concern or widely accepted criticism of him by saying that. If we don't, we're immediately labeled as anti-Butch by those who won't accept any other candidate.

It's sad what some of the discussion has deteriorated into lately.

Yep.

Love Butch and would be happy to have him back, but for the first time in seemingly forever, this position has plenty to offer: Talented roster, willing to pay, the best recruiting territory in the country. That will draw intrigue and several coaches should be assessed.

And those trying to deflect Butch's shortcomings need to stop. There are pros and cons to hiring him just like any prospective candidate. Just be grateful we're in the position where we are debating whether or not he is the right candidate, as opposed to tearing our hair out because Mario, Chud, or Schiano are the only three in the running. We're not out of the woods yet there, but it appears UM is aiming higher, which is very positive.

Advertisement

the more time goes by, the more uneasy I'm feeling about Butch. I'm having visions of poorly coached teams over the next couple years, chaotic sidelines and fans getting frustrated at perpetual 8-9 win seasons withh tons of talent on the roster.

That's your opinion and you are entitled to it but the results say otherwise. Every candidate carries risk, including Butch.

This.

the more time goes by, the more uneasy I'm feeling about Butch. I'm having visions of poorly coached teams over the next couple years, chaotic sidelines and fans getting frustrated at perpetual 8-9 win seasons withh tons of talent on the roster.

What are your alternatives?

Does anyone know the actual NCAA rules on recruiting in our situation? Meaning, if a Coach was hired now/soon, would our current staff still continue to finish off the season? are they allowed to recruit AND is the new coach able to recruit? I'm assuming its a tough situation internally for the U. How well will the current staff even recruit knowing most of their days are numbered. I guess anyone know the dynamics of how they even function with current staff finishing season but new coach hired and operating as well?
Until ace jumps in with specific rules/regulations, I'm pretty sure Butch or any coach hired now could begin contacting recruits provided they passed the required NCAA compliance test. If he named 2 or 3 assistants they could as well, but members of the current staff would have to stop being involved with recruiting.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back