Butch hire timing

Brandinho

Section 139
Premium
If the rumors are true, if the BoT is backing Butch Davis, is there really a need to continue this search all the way up until the end of the season? If they feel that Butch is the right guy to do the job, he should get as much time as he needs to get settled here, put his assistants in place, and begin his recruiting campaign.

Also, we've been all over the media for the past couple of weeks between Goldilocks being canned and #TheReturn . If we can get wins against UVA and UNC, we will pick up some national media attention and I feel that would be the best time to strike. It is important to keep the ball rolling with that, more talk about theU on potential recruit TVs.

I understand some of you guys here want the committee to do their due diligence and leave no stone unturned. That being said, I don't think Miami wants to get into a bid war for guys like Herman/Fuente or wait until NFL regular season is over to scoop guys like Chud or Jackson.

Butch is the guy in my eyes and the sooner we can get him down here the better.

Last edited:
Advertisement
If the rumors are true, if the BoT is backing Butch Davis, is there really a need to continue this search all the way up until the end of the season? If they feel that Butch is the right guy to do the job, he should get as much time as he needs to get settled here, put his assistants in place, and begin his recruiting campaign.

Also, we've been all over the media for the past couple of weeks between Goldilocks being canned and #TheReturn . If we pick up a win against UVA and UNC, we will pick up some national media attention and I feel that would be the best time to strike. It is important to keep the ball rolling with that, more talk about theU on potential recruit TVs.

I understand some of you guys here want the committee to do their due diligence and leave no stone unturned. That being said, I don't think Miami wants to get into a bid war for guys like Herman/Fuente or wait until NFL regular season is over to scoop guys like Chud or Jackson.

Butch is the guy in my eyes and the sooner we can get him down here the better.

I agree, but you will not see anything until December. I think Butch will ultimately get the job, but it would be foolish not to talk to other candidates. We just need to continue to be vocal about #BBB , because it's working. I won't be too ****ed either if we get chip or herman

If BD is the guy, make it known NOW. It is entirely a Waste of time to Prolong the announcement! Announce now and the current players will raise their Play. Also, Parents and Coaches of Top S. Fla Recruits committed elsewhere will say, "Hey, you/we should rethink that commitment. BD is an incredible developer of talent, etc."

Announcement now!

If BD is the guy, make it known NOW. It is entirely a Waste of time to Prolong the announcement! Announce now and the current players will raise their Play. Also, Parents and Coaches of Top S. Fla Recruits committed elsewhere will say, "Hey, you/we should rethink that commitment. BD is an incredible developer of talent, etc."

Announcement now!

As the day gets closer, there'll be additional leaks. By the time of the Pitt game, everyone will know, and we'll just be waiting for the formal announcement.

The BOT likely feels that they'd be undermining Larry, and destabilize the staff even further.

All in all, I believe it should be now. They ought to formally announce Butch's hiring, effective immediately.

Advertisement
It would be too much of a distraction for the team right now to name Butch.

It is better that he works behind the scenes to build a staff and then announce him the minute our last game ends.

He will have two months to recruit. He could finish this class in two weeks if he needed to. It's Butch Davis dude. Plus, we already have 20 commits. All will stay.

It is going to be a media circus.

No rush, I would ask Chip, if he doesn't want it, Bring Butch Back

What makes you think that Chip would even answer that phone call? His situation isn't like Pagano's, where there's open hostility with the owner. Eagles are going to give Corch Chip plenty more rope.

It is better that he works behind the scenes to build a staff and then announce him the minute our last game ends.

He will have two months to recruit. His name alone will fill this class.

With a formal signed contract and an announcement, even if it was effective after the Pitt game, would give Butch more clout in lining up a staff, and would help keep the recruits.

Better yet, announce him as the formal recruiting coordinator, and give him a position coach appointment. This should allow him to formally visit recruits, NOW.

Advertisement

He will have two months to recruit. He could finish this class in two weeks if he needed to. It's Butch Davis dude. Plus, we already have 20 commits. All will stay.

Another view. It might be VERY important to announce it early for our EEs. They might want to know. Jack even mentioned it. He has no interest in a coach who wants a DT QB.

Another view. It might be VERY important to announce it early for our EEs. They might want to know. Jack even mentioned it. He has no interest in a coach who wants a DT QB.

they arent going to jump at the first viable candidate.....like Pete and Dmoney reported its going to be a very thorough search and I bet it will be resolved about 2 weeks after the last regular season game

Candidate A.
NCAA champ as DC
Super Bowl champ x 2 as DC
NCAA HC 12-1 w Sugar Bowl win in 5th year following loss of 31 scholarships (arguably should have played for title)
Former team wins title next 2 years
HC NFL 4 years and got team to playoffs that hasn't been in playoffs in about 20 years
NCAA HC of shtty team. Got them to 3 8-5 seasons, the last without half his starters
NFL assistant for failed NFL HC

Candidate B.
FCS Champ OC
OC for established program 2 years and kept program at top
HC at established program and got to NC game so finished #2
Former team reached title game but lost following departure
Currently in 3rd season as NFL HC. May get to playoffs

Last edited:
Advertisement
This **** is going straight up Jim Jones cult. Why not take your time and explore all options?

Does anyone know the actual NCAA rules on recruiting in our situation? Meaning, if a Coach was hired now/soon, would our current staff still continue to finish off the season? are they allowed to recruit AND is the new coach able to recruit? I'm assuming its a tough situation internally for the U. How well will the current staff even recruit knowing most of their days are numbered. I guess anyone know the dynamics of how they even function with current staff finishing season but new coach hired and operating as well?

Advertisement
This **** is going straight up Jim Jones cult. Why not take your time and explore all options?

They need to consider all their options. If there are any serious candidates (mutual interest) that could only interview following the end of the college season then you have to wait, even if you believe Butch is the best candidate and intend to hire him. You then make the appropriate selection.

On the other hand, if you have a target list of 10 candidates, and Butch is number 3, for example, and the first five other than Butch are not interested, then you only take your time if there is real interest from the other candidates. If the other candidates "will listen" but prefer to stay at their current job or go elsewhere, then you move on fast and hire Butch.

By the way, I am sure that UM had their list prepared after last season. It shouldn't take very long to evaluate candidates. The interview is only one part of the evaluation process.

Announcement now!

As the day gets closer, there'll be additional leaks. By the time of the Pitt game, everyone will know, and we'll just be waiting for the formal announcement.

The BOT likely feels that they'd be undermining Larry, and destabilize the staff even further.

All in all, I believe it should be now. They ought to formally announce Butch's hiring, effective immediately.

I'm not so sure Butch gets the job. The more posts I read that make it sound like it's a foregone conclusion the more skeptical I get that the BOT will hire him. Where does everyone get all this from anyway? Is it that guy on Canesport Canevette? If it is that's quite a flimsy foundation from which to base any kind of judgement. That poster is a bigger fraud than Miss Cleo. I'm pretty sure this is the same guy Danny boy got his "scoops" from.

I'm all for hiring Butch Davis but I would like to seriously guage Herman's interest and a few others before we shut this thing down. Having said that, I wouldn't be the least bit upset if they announced Butch tomorrow.

Agreed. I'd be happy if we ultimately end up with Butch but they should explore all options. We all know Chip Kelly is a long shot but maybe he decides he likes the college game better than the NFL. Herman and Fuente are looking better each week. No need to rush this. Butch isn't going anywhere.

Advertisement
Back