Butch hire timing

If you go up and comer, you go Fuente. Been at Memphis 4 years. Plenty of evidence that he turned the program around. He would convert well here.

Butch is gonna bring in players and develop them. Larry COKER won 25 straight solely w talent Butch left him.

Fuente's player recruiting skills are a question mark. His coaching and development are not.

Only question w Butch is whomhe brings in on staff. Only fck up he's made that i recall is not firing shoop. But he took a 3-9 UNC team to 8-5 in two years. A basketball school. That is not failing.

Both are risks. I'm happy w either. I'm uneasy w Herman but the upside is great

Advertisement
Butch is probably under contract and wants to finish out the regular season with ESPN, and for UM, there's no percentage in announcing before Thanksgiving - November 26.

Our last game is on Friday, November 27, and you may recall, Goldturd was announced just before our last game if I recall correctly.

This way, there's no distractions for the team, no undercutting of the current coaching staff, and that leave plenty of time for recruiting and getting his coaching staff announced and in place.

This **** is going straight up Jim Jones cult. Why not take your time and explore all options?
Agreed. I'd be happy if we ultimately end up with Butch but they should explore all options. We all know Chip Kelly is a long shot but maybe he decides he likes the college game better than the NFL. Herman and Fuente are looking better each week. No need to rush this. Butch isn't going anywhere.

The frustrating part is those who would be happy with Butch but don't necessarily view him as the No. 1 option (myself included) almost have to preface any valid concern or widely accepted criticism of him by saying that. If we don't, we're immediately labeled as anti-Butch by those who won't accept any other candidate.

It's sad what some of the discussion has deteriorated into lately.

The cult is getting out of control. They repeat mantras incessantly, and now they're going so far as to attack guys who actually have the audacity to suggest alternatives.

Yeah, I'm pretty much done posting my opinion on who should be the coach until one is hired.

The discussion is getting to be unbearable

Love Butch. Want him to be the next guy, but the moment he becomes the next coach is the moment otter schools start recruiting against by saying he won't be around to watch them graduate because of his age. There needs to be a succession plan in place, otherwise we'll feel the effects of that sooner rather than later.

Advertisement
This **** is going straight up Jim Jones cult. Why not take your time and explore all options?
Agreed. I'd be happy if we ultimately end up with Butch but they should explore all options. We all know Chip Kelly is a long shot but maybe he decides he likes the college game better than the NFL. Herman and Fuente are looking better each week. No need to rush this. Butch isn't going anywhere.

The frustrating part is those who would be happy with Butch but don't necessarily view him as the No. 1 option (myself included) almost have to preface any valid concern or widely accepted criticism of him by saying that. If we don't, we're immediately labeled as anti-Butch by those who won't accept any other candidate.

The cult is getting out of control. They repeat mantras incessantly, and now they're going so far as to attack guys who actually have the audacity to suggest alternatives.

There are cults on both sides. I'm genuinely curious about the alternatives. I'd love a substantive discussion on it, but haven't really seen too much of it other than as tangents to threads. I don't think Butch is a no-brainer. I think he has obvious warts. I think every candidate I've viewed - outside of the almost unrealistic ones - have warts.

There are cults on both sides. I'm genuinely curious about the alternatives. I'd love a substantive discussion on it, but haven't really seen too much of it other than as tangents to threads. I don't think Butch is a no-brainer. I think he has obvious warts. I think every candidate I've viewed - outside of the almost unrealistic ones - have warts.

I agree with what you said, and I too would like some GENUINE, realistic alternatives.

Chip? Lu, do you think for a moment with an NCAA Show Cause he would even get a peek? I don't, and I think it's a waste to continue talking about him.

I want suggestions that are realistic, affordable, with a body of work - and I'm not getting them!

the more time goes by, the more uneasy I'm feeling about Butch. I'm having visions of poorly coached teams over the next couple years, chaotic sidelines and fans getting frustrated at perpetual 8-9 win seasons withh tons of talent on the roster.
I'm having visions of a Florida *** kicking in the Sugar Bowl and so much talent that even Uncle Fester can win back-to-back national championships. The man built the program up from 30 schollys lost to the point where we legit should have three-peated and people are moaning and *****ing about him?

I agree with what you said, and I too would like some GENUINE, realistic alternatives.

Chip? Lu, do you think for a moment with an NCAA Show Cause he would even get a peek? I don't, and I think it's a waste to continue talking about him.

I want suggestions that are realistic, affordable, with a body of work - and I'm not getting them!

No, I do not think Chip is a realistic alternative to come here. I'm asking who are the alternatives. I've seen perhaps a couple. I'm pretty much the opposite of a Butch "cultist," as he's not even the candidate I find most intriguing. But, I can accept he may be the best fit, all things considered. Wouldn't mind discussing it, though.

Advertisement

the more time goes by, the more uneasy I'm feeling about Butch. I'm having visions of poorly coached teams over the next couple years, chaotic sidelines and fans getting frustrated at perpetual 8-9 win seasons withh tons of talent on the roster.
I'm having visions of a Florida *** kicking in the Sugar Bowl and so much talent that even Uncle Fester can win back-to-back national championships. The man built the program up from 30 schollys lost to the point where we legit should have three-peated and people are moaning and *****ing about him?

TRUTH

I got to think that the fate of Pagano and Richt have a lot to do with the hiring decision. Butch is always an option and it could happen. However, If pagano who is game to game and Richt who is apparently in the same boat were to get canned, it would make things interesting. If those two were to lose their jobs midseason, Miami would definitely inquire. I still think Butch comes back regardless. It is a waiting game now.

It would be too much of a distraction for the team right now to name Butch.

It is better that he works behind the scenes to build a staff and then announce him the minute our last game ends.

He will have two months to recruit. He could finish this class in two weeks if he needed to. It's Butch Davis dude. Plus, we already have 20 commits. All will stay.

It is going to be a media circus.

Agree. good post

Once the season ends. there is going to be a feeding frenzy of schools looking to lock up a coach in enough time to recruit before national signing day. Remember there are 11 openings right now. Every fan base wants Nick Saban to leave for their school. Unless some current coach reaches out, like RIGHT NOW, UM is going to be forced to make a move BEFORE the frenzy.

Advertisement
Does anyone know the actual NCAA rules on recruiting in our situation? Meaning, if a Coach was hired now/soon, would our current staff still continue to finish off the season? are they allowed to recruit AND is the new coach able to recruit? I'm assuming its a tough situation internally for the U. How well will the current staff even recruit knowing most of their days are numbered. I guess anyone know the dynamics of how they even function with current staff finishing season but new coach hired and operating as well?
Until ace jumps in with specific rules/regulations, I'm pretty sure Butch or any coach hired now could begin contacting recruits provided they passed the required NCAA compliance test. If he named 2 or 3 assistants they could as well, but members of the current staff would have to stop being involved with recruiting.

You can always have 1 head coach and 9 assistants recruiting. If you bring in a new head coach and, say 2 assistants, then you can go with just those 3, or you could add up to 7 of the current coaches if you want. The AD would have to prepare a list of who you want recruiting and send it to the NCAA and have them bless it.

I won't be overly concerned with when UM hires someone unless it runs past the 1st week of December. You have a contact period that runs from Nov. 29 - Dec. 13 since we apparently aren't recruiting any JCs (it would be nice to be ready to go by Nov. 29th). It is then dead from Dec. 14 - Jan. 13.

I haven't followed recruiting as close as I sometimes do, but I would be real interested in not only the number of recruits, but who they are, that have signed a financial aid agreement with UM (or any other institution). These agreements are for EEs only. I'm assuming they will either attend UM next semester or will attend another institute next semester. UM classes for next semester begin 1/11/16, so the recruits have some time to decide where they are going, but it is not as critical a time frame as it would be for JCs who will sign LOI in mid December.

These agreements also cancel many of the contact rules like only 1 call per week from UM to the recruit. This is good for UM. It is also good for the recruit because UM is locked into the financial aid if the recruit attends class, but the recruit is not obligated to attend UM. The recruit can go all the way up to 1/11/16 if they want. So for the EEs who have signed the agreement, there is an ample amount of time to recruit them. For the other EEs, they don't have a guarantee of financial aid and they may be more inclined to jump at a different offer.

For all the other recruits, NLOID is 2/3/16. There is about a 2.5 week contact period in January. I would think (hope) we have a new coach long before that.

I'm a cult fanatic and I'd still be satisfied with Herman, Fuente, Chip (pipe dream), Patterson (pipe dream) or even Chud.

Butch Hiring Day is 21 away

Still looking? Searching? Wandering aimlessly in the desert of CORCHES?

I must be looking for something
Something sacred I lost
But the river is wide
And it's too hard to cross

And even though I know the river is wide
I walk down every evening and I stand on the shore
And try to cross to the opposite side
So I can finally find out what I've been looking for

I don't know why I go walking at night
But now I'm tired and I don't want to walk anymore
I hope it doesn't take the rest of my life
Until I find what it is that I've been looking for

In the middle of the night
I go walking in my sleep
Through the jungle of doubt
To a river so deep

[video=youtube;hSq4B_zHqPM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSq4B_zHqPM&list=PLb7YSwrGOyBRt2F1u0rln7M_ tYNquuTnw[/video]

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back