Butch Davis - take with a grain of salt please

JZCane

Sophomore
So I normally don't listen to the 560 afternoon drive program (Hochman, Crowder and Krantz), but given the hire, I figured the mothership of UM football would have better coverage than 790. Mark Hochman, despite a hack in his own right, is a UM alum and has worked in South Florida for many years. I don't doubt he has connections inside the university and to the search itself.

On yesterdays show, he said that his sources told him that Butch absolutely bombed his interview and while it was set up more as a courtesy to Butch than anything else (as Barry Jackson alluded to), I still find this interesting if true. I was not part of the BBB crew and felt that hiring someone that hadn't coached in 5 years just because he had success 15 years ago would have been a stretch to say the least.

Still, I find Butch to be very charismatic, thorough and meticulous so again IF, this report is true, I question how serious a candidate he could have been and what the Butch hysterics think of this.

Advertisement
what did he say in his interview to bomb it?

No details were given. The doubt the "source" even knew. I'm wondering which was why I started the thread.

There were basically 0 leaks of information during the whole search. I think anyone saying anything now, is almost all BS.

Richt is the coach, he seems motivated and excited about calling plays again. Time to move on.

Advertisement
Romberg's on 790 yeah? Said he was in touch with peeps and the ole dude was #2 , and the Schiano **** was false. It's all irrelevant now, no?

Word on the street is that he couldn't adequately address the UNC thing, particularly regarding John Blake.

Advertisement
Word on the street is that he couldn't adequately address the UNC thing, particularly regarding John Blake.

That wouldn't surprise me. There was just too much at UNC against Butch honestly. Everyone else at UNC coaching-wise got to keep their job. Butch Davis was the lone coach to get fired. And even then, he's the one that hired John Blake. I liked Butch, but John Blake essentially ended Davis' career.

Thought the "rumor" on how Butch failed was he couldn't provide and answer to the question...Why would you hire a known cheater like John Blake??

Advertisement
I heard he bumped into Blake's wife and said " excuse me sir"

Blake was extremely angry

Theres nothing u can,do but support mark, i nust hooe he stays on tv i dont want him n e where near sfla hes a killer.

Advertisement
k104517_grain of salt.jpg

So I normally don't listen to the 560 afternoon drive program (Hochman, Crowder and Krantz), but given the hire, I figured the mothership of UM football would have better coverage than 790. Mark Hochman, despite a hack in his own right, is a UM alum and has worked in South Florida for many years. I don't doubt he has connections inside the university and to the search itself.

On yesterdays show, he said that his sources told him that Butch absolutely bombed his interview and while it was set up more as a courtesy to Butch than anything else (as Barry Jackson alluded to), I still find this interesting if true. I was not part of the BBB crew and felt that hiring someone that hadn't coached in 5 years just because he had success 15 years ago would have been a stretch to say the least.

Still, I find Butch to be very charismatic, thorough and meticulous so again IF, this report is true, I question how serious a candidate he could have been and what the Butch hysterics think of this.

I am not supporting nor defending Butch as I was not part of the BBB clan.
But isn't this the same Hochman guy that said over the air this past January that Golden was
going to get fired, thereby furthering fanning the flames of a bad rumor?

How he still has a job today says alot about the standards of radio these days.

I give him as much credibility as DannyBoyCane.

If you listen to the show you'd know Hoch has absolutely 0 sauces. Anything he says that has to do with a source always ends up completely false. I have more sources than Hoch and I didnt even go to UM.

And **** anyone who is bashing Butch bc he didn't get the job. Extremely frustrating seeing the simpletons take shots at Butch bc they dont like posters who support him. The brand would'nt have the respect it does without Butch and those early 2000 teams.

I am not supporting nor defending Butch as I was not part of the BBB clan.
But isn't this the same Hochman guy that said over the air this past January that Golden was
going to get fired, thereby furthering fanning the flames of a bad rumor?

How he still has a job today says alot about the standards of radio these days.

I give him as much credibility as DannyBoyCane.

From everything I was consistently told from even before Golden was fired, this story is laced with bull****.

Advertisement
Back