Butch Davis questions Golden and direction of Miami football

Klamalama

Board Ban Under CIS Martial Law Until 11/5/20
If this article was posted here, I missed it. So...

http://www.ngngsports.com/2014/12/b...lden-and-the-direction-of-miami-football.html

Butch Davis questions Al Golden and the direction of Miami football

December 23, 2014 By J Will
Last updated on December 23, 2014

When you bring up the struggles of the Miami Hurricanes football team, the popular answer you would get from the fans is “we need Butch Davis back”. Last month, I wrote about how Miami should get rid of head coach Al Golden if they want to be relevant again. Now someone else has criticized the football program and it someone Canes fans know very well.

While speaking to the Miami Herald, ESPN analyst and former Hurricanes head coach Butch Davis questions the direction of where Golden has Miami football headed.
So why does Davis believe the UM program has declined?

“It’s got to be the talent level,” he said. “Somebody is not evaluating the talent. Name the time they weren’t ranked in the top 13 or 14 recruiting classes. And 29 of these guys are gone in the last four years and [some of those still at UM] are not good players.

“You can recruit enough kids just living in Miami to win a national championship. Howard Schnellenberger had it right when he talked about recruiting from Tampa to Orlando and the Space Coast south. You can get 10, 14 players everyone would love to have from South Florida and then cherry-pick other players.

“There would be a Bubba Franks or a Damione Lewis from Texas. If a state doesn’t produce enough of a particular thing,… let’s go to [Pennsylvania] to sign Martin Bibla… Somewhere there has to be a disconnect with that. Either they can’t evaluate players or players have jumped ship or flunked out or whatever the deal.”

Davis questions the coaching staff as well.

“Look at the staff I had: Chuck Pagano is coaching the Indianapolis Colts. Greg Schiano coached Tampa Bay. Larry Coker (UT-San Antonio) and Curtis Johnson (Tulane) became head coaches. Rob Chudzinski became a head coach (Cleveland Browns). Our kids got the [expletive] coached out of them.
“When they left our program, they were **** near a finished, polished gem. There wasn’t any rookie wall for Ed Reed, Jeremy Shockey, Bubba Franks… They immediately became impact players at that level. I can’t name a Miami player [in his prime] who’s a star in the league. Other than Jimmy Graham, I can’t name one.
This is probably the worst thing that Golden and his staff could have happen. The former head coach who revived the program questioning what the present head coach is doing.

Advertisement
Too much logic when Butch speaks. As a Miami fan of recent years, my brain can't compute anything that makes sense.

My old dept attorney just ran into him down in Bonita Springs. She's a UM Law grad. She said she asked him if he was ready to come back home and he smiled at her and said he has had plenty of other offers, he just had not found another place he'd rather live yet. Butch wants back badly!

Last edited:
My old dept attorney just ran into him down in Bonita Springs. She's a UM Law grad. She said she asked him if he was ready to come back home and he smiled at her and said he has had plenty of other offers, he just had not found another place he'd ran live yet. Butch wants back badly!

I can only imagine how crazy things would be within the world of Miami Hurricanes football if Butch is hired again

Advertisement
If he would come back (midseason) I would retract all the bad things I said about and to him when he left for the Browns............and buy season tickets again..........

I love Butch but I don't know if I agree that it's a talent issue. A better coach (than Golden) could have probably won the ACC with the talent we had last year. At a minimum we should have won the Coastal.

I love Butch but I don't know if I agree that it's a talent issue. A better coach (than Golden) could have probably won the ACC with the talent we had last year. At a minimum we should have won the Coastal.

For me though, I believe if we had good coaching, even the mis-evaluations would be playing decent football. Sure as **** wouldn't be going 6-7 and we would've just ran a train on spurrier.

It's a different era... Recruiting And coaching costs are way up and there is more parity now than ever before. I'm not sure that Butch would be able to bring in a star studded coaching staff (but still would love to see him get another chance to be Butch)

Advertisement

He bashes the coaches later in the article. He basically bashes anything that is within Golden's domain of responsibility.

If he would come back (midseason) I would retract all the bad things I said about and to him when he left for the Browns............and buy season tickets again..........

With the way things are going this spring in Coral Gables you may just get your wish.

Go Canes

My old dept attorney just ran into him down in Bonita Springs. She's a UM Law grad. She said she asked him if he was ready to come back home and he smiled at her and said he has had plenty of other offers, he just had not found another place he'd ran live yet. Butch wants back badly!

I can only imagine how crazy things would be within the world of Miami Hurricanes football if Butch is hired again

Every big school would be shifting bricks starting with FSU. *su, 'bama, the gators, et. al.

Advertisement
no one looks at al golden and thinks he can out coach meyer, saban, miles, etc. The world knows what butch can do.

If he had an offer he would have been back by now. I like Butch, don't want him back at UM, but he can't face the fact that he will most likely never be a Head Coach again. Right or wrong, the UNC taint is sticking in this day and age of political correctness and an ever present and misguided NCAA.

My old dept attorney just ran into him down in Bonita Springs. She's a UM Law grad. She said she asked him if he was ready to come back home and he smiled at her and said he has had plenty of other offers, he just had not found another place he'd rather live yet. Butch wants back badly!

Advertisement
So you're saying he lied?? I seriously doubt that Butch Davis couldn't land a head coaching job somewhere. I compare Butch's current situation to Bobby Petrino's situation a few years ago. Petrino was an A list coach who got caught in a brutal PR event. He had to step back a level and take a job at Western Kentucky. I have no doubt that Butch could get hired at a WKU type of program at any time. I can also see that Butch is 63 and has had some accomplishments in his career. I see him waiting for one last opportunity that suits him best for his final gig.

If he had an offer he would have been back by now. I like Butch, don't want him back at UM, but he can't face the fact that he will most likely never be a Head Coach again. Right or wrong, the UNC taint is sticking in this day and age of political correctness and an ever present and misguided NCAA.

Butch has had opportunities to coach at smaller programs.

But he loves South Florida and wants to go out a winner coach at Miami.

Last edited:
It's a different era... Recruiting And coaching costs are way up and there is more parity now than ever before. I'm not sure that Butch would be able to bring in a star studded coaching staff (but still would love to see him get another chance to be Butch)

It's not as different as you think.

Back in the 90s, my HS weight room was 10x better than Miami's. FSU and Florida's facilities blew Miami's out of the water back 15 years ago. Players were enamored with facilities back then too, but Miami was actually kicking recruiting ***. It makes a helluva difference to recruits when they know your HC is a winner and knows how to develop talent. Miami hasn't had that since Butch left.

And Butch Davis was put on this Earth to be a boss recruiter. Davis is the one coach who can challenge Nick Saban as the top recruiter in the land.

Advertisement
Back