Butch Barry new OL coach

He wasn’t the main OL coach. He was the assistant. Keep that energy from when we thought we were getting Applewhite and everyone was up in arms about him not calling his own plays. Per his resume he was only a full time OL coach for 1 year at CMU. He was TE coach before that and has been an assistant for Tampa. He hasn’t produced any draft picks, all conference players or pro bowlers between his. two levels. We don’t even know if he’s run his own position meetings.

If anyone can point to any semblance of evidence that this guy is a good hire either tactically or from a recruiting standpoint then I’m here to evaluate those points. Thus far I don’t see anything from anyone that’s a convincing argument for what he’s done to date. IF the main reason to not question this hire is that I just need to trust Manny and Enos and accept every coach that’s hired as the greatest hire ever then say that. Until then, this is questionable. It can work out like Simpson but it’s questionable.

Advertisement
He wasn’t the main OL coach. He was the assistant. Keep that energy from when we thought we were getting Applewhite and everyone was up in arms about him not calling his own plays. Per his resume he was only a full time OL coach for 1 year at CMU. He was TE coach before that and has been an assistant for Tampa. He hasn’t produced any draft picks, all conference players or pro bowlers between his. two levels. We don’t even know if he’s run his own position meetings.

If anyone can point to any semblance of evidence that this guy is a good hire either tactically or from a recruiting standpoint then I’m here to evaluate those points. Thus far I don’t see anything from anyone that’s a convincing argument for what he’s done to date. IF the main reason to not question this hire is that I just need to trust Enos and accept every coach that’s hired as the greatest hire ever then say that. Until then this is questionable. It can work out like Simpson but it’s questionable.

All good points, but there's this. It's the NFL. No one's gonna keep an assistant on for four years because they're drinking buddies or play poker with them. The former powers in TB obviously thought highly enough of his services to keep him there. There are (total) about 60 oline and assistant oline coaches in the NFL (some teams have no assistant, or no primary oline coach). There are 120 such coaches in the FCS. If you assume that NFL coaches are better than NCAA coaches (at coaching), then I have all the info I need.

Recruiting is another matter, but it does help that he'd spent time in college.

Advertisement
All good points, but there's this. It's the NFL. No one's gonna keep an assistant on for four years because they're drinking buddies or play poker with them. The former powers in TB obviously thought highly enough of his services to keep him there. There are (total) about 60 oline and assistant oline coaches in the NFL (some teams have no assistant, or no primary oline coach). There are 120 such coaches in the FCS. If you assume that NFL coaches are better than NCAA coaches (at coaching), then I have all the info I need.

Recruiting is another matter, but it does help that he'd spent time in college.
I was thinking the same thing. If he’s the worst OL in the league he’s the 32nd best inthe world. 😂
I mean if you make it to the NFL level your a pretty **** good coach. It’s not easy to make it to that level. And those coaches are really technical. They have to be, your coaching the best in the world vs the best in the world. So I’ll give him a pass based on NFL untilhe proves me wrong.

There’s talent here to work with, we’ll see what Barry can do.

LT- Butler (highly sought after GT)
LG- Reed (AA)
C- Gaynor
RG- Donaldson (AA)
RT- Scaife (AA)

3 high school all Americans.

Does anyone know if Barry needlessly rotates his OL so they have no continuity?

Advertisement
If we're plucking OL coaches from the NFL, at least we didn't get Tom Cable - that guy nearly killed Russell Wilson with his incompetence.

Have you mopes watched any video on Butch yet? Probably not

Guy is high energy, technique driven. Solid Hire. I'm on board.

Advertisement
Have you mopes watched any video on Butch yet? Probably not

Guy is high energy, technique driven. Solid Hire. I'm on board.

This. ^^^

Also, he wasn’t the one drafting and signing FA OL-men. It’s not like NFL teams can go out a recruit 3-4 1st round pick OL every offseason.

Advertisement
65323DB3-91FC-457A-854D-81AC2D3BD34B.jpeg

Last edited:
At least manny is hiring coach’s he can let go if need be, until these coach’s show they can’t get the job done I’ll back them. It’s all we can do.

Advertisement
Back