Butch Barry new OL coach

Advertisement
He wasn’t the main OL coach. He was the assistant. Keep that energy from when we thought we were getting Applewhite and everyone was up in arms about him not calling his own plays. Per his resume he was only a full time OL coach for 1 year at CMU. He was TE coach before that and has been an assistant for Tampa. He hasn’t produced any draft picks, all conference players or pro bowlers between his. two levels. We don’t even know if he’s run his own position meetings.

If anyone can point to any semblance of evidence that this guy is a good hire either tactically or from a recruiting standpoint then I’m here to evaluate those points. Thus far I don’t see anything from anyone that’s a convincing argument for what he’s done to date. IF the main reason to not question this hire is that I just need to trust Manny and Enos and accept every coach that’s hired as the greatest hire ever then say that. Until then, this is questionable. It can work out like Simpson but it’s questionable.

Fair points, but how does a guy who coaches in college as an assistant move up to the NFL ranks (unless he follows a coordinator or HC)?

I am curious how he was able to do that because as a coach moving to the NFL is a big deal, even as an assistant. Competition for positions increase exponentially so you have to bring some selling points along with you. Who was his connect at Tampa because I think it is rare to make that jump unless some special circumstance.

Also as an NFL coach you have to be a craftsman and technician. I like that from a position coach. I think that is what Simpson brought with him. Working with players and other coaches at that level you have a better sense of what it takes to perform at the highest levels of your profession. He will at least bring that in his 4 years in the league.

From a baseline standpoint this is a solid hire, and it also helps that he and Enos are familiar with each other. Manny stated he wants coaches to have chemistry and be in synch. I think this hire meets that criteria. Not sure what kind of recruiter he is but I assume he brings that experience with him from his time at CMU. But as a potential oline recruit with NFL aspirations being taught by a guy with NFL experience can only be a plus.

Advertisement
I am curious how he was able to do that because as a coach moving to the NFL is a big deal, even as an assistant. Competition for positions increase exponentially so you have to bring some selling points along with you. Who was his connect at Tampa because I think it is rare to make that jump unless some special circumstance.

Harold Goodwin (OL Coach and assistant HC at Tampa). He was on staff as OL coach at CMU when Barry was a grad assistant there. It looks like that opened the door for him. Must have been decent to survive a HC change, though, as he was retained after Lovie Smith was fired.

Advertisement
Oh the politician? Yeah, don’t know too much about her though

7C7D327B-4351-4F2B-91A0-49C10D872058.jpeg

Advertisement
its totally relevant. the left is a cancer. that is why these marxist teachers infested our schools. you don't think that's relevant as well? marxist teachers ? coach is a teacher.

Not teaching history or economics is he? No, it's not relevant.

Advertisement
He wasn’t the main OL coach. He was the assistant. Keep that energy from when we thought we were getting Applewhite and everyone was up in arms about him not calling his own plays. Per his resume he was only a full time OL coach for 1 year at CMU. He was TE coach before that and has been an assistant for Tampa. He hasn’t produced any draft picks, all conference players or pro bowlers between his. two levels. We don’t even know if he’s run his own position meetings.

If anyone can point to any semblance of evidence that this guy is a good hire either tactically or from a recruiting standpoint then I’m here to evaluate those points. Thus far I don’t see anything from anyone that’s a convincing argument for what he’s done to date. IF the main reason to not question this hire is that I just need to trust Manny and Enos and accept every coach that’s hired as the greatest hire ever then say that. Until then, this is questionable. It can work out like Simpson but it’s questionable.

Every hire in every situation is questionable. He’s coached in the NFL. That sells itself to people who are trying to get to the NFL.

The dude’s politics are irrelevant. If he coaches a dominant offensive line, I’ll be happy. He’s going to help us win games, not dictate legislative policy.
Politics can dictate standards, priciples etc though. The politics of those like AOC seem very incompatible with football, especially those playing in the trenches where you want those who want to violently physically impose their will on an opponent.
We need alphas top to bottom, not participation trophies.

Advertisement
Back