Butch Barry new OL coach

Advertisement
As far as Butch Barry is concerned, I’ll give you my $.02 living here in Tampa. OL this year was very average, and I’m betting PFF would probably agree with that assessment. Run game was subpar, pass game was superior. This was largely a function of the pass-heavy offense that was run in addition to the fact the Bucs were constantly trying to dig themselves out of big 1st half deficits for the vast majority of their games.

Individually:

LT- Donovan Smith had an average year in a contract year. He was a 2nd rd pick in 2015. I’ve always felt he was better suited for RT, but the Bucs have kept on putting him at LT which is what he played in college at Penn St. He’s a bit lazy and doesn’t the size and strength for guard. Haven’t seen a whole lot of improvement in him over the last 3 years which has been a bit disappointing. He’s not bad. He’s just not as good as expected. Average to above average depending on the game/ year. Doesn’t seem like Barry could motivate him.

LG- Ali Marpet- by far the best player on the line. Also a 2nd rd pick in 2015 from Hobart College. Grades out very high. Probably a top 10 guard in the league statistically. Has the work ethic to continue to be great. Credit to Barry for this.

Center- Ryan Jensen. FA in his first year for Tampa. Truthfully, I was pretty disappointed in his play. Intensity without the associated skill is how I describe him. I’d bet that PFF ranks him in the bottom quartile. Someone with a PFF subscription can fact check this if they have time and want to.

RG- Caleb Benenoch aka Caleb Icantblock. 2016 5th rounder. He’s horrible. Has no business being an NFL starter. No improvement in 3 years.

RT- Demar Dotson. Older guy. Been in the league at least a decade. A bit underrated. He’s not particular athletic but technically he’s sound. Above average guy who is better at pass blocking rather than as a run blocker. Has been about the same since Barry got there. Didn’t see improvement or regression.

Overall- I’d say Barry’s unit was a B-

I texted a couple of former Bucs I’m friends with to get their opinions.

Ok, Tampa fans. How was your O-line?

At least with this guy, he was in the NFL. Don't think Searles came close to that level.

O line wasn't all that good IMO, but the GM and Coach also did virtually nothing to bring in talent. They consistently ignored the O line in the draft, signed the occasional veteran FA. Tough to blame the O line coach when they weren't giving him anything to develop.

Advertisement
As far as Butch Barry is concerned, I’ll give you my $.02 living here in Tampa. OL this year was very average, and I’m betting PFF would probably agree with that assessment. Run game was subpar, pass game was superior. This was largely a function of the pass-heavy offense that was run in addition to the fact the Bucs were constantly trying to dig themselves out of big 1st half deficits for the vast majority of their games.

Individually:

LT- Donovan Smith had an average year in a contract year. He was a 2nd rd pick in 2015. I’ve always felt he was better suited for RT, but the Bucs have kept on putting him at LT which is what he played in college at Penn St. He’s a bit lazy and doesn’t the size and strength for guard. Haven’t seen a whole lot of improvement in him over the last 3 years which has been a bit disappointing. He’s not bad. He’s just not as good as expected. Average to above average depending on the game/ year. Doesn’t seem like Barry could motivate him.

LG- Ali Marpet- by far the best player on the line. Also a 2nd rd pick in 2015 from Hobart College. Grades out very high. Probably a top 10 guard in the league statistically. Has the work ethic to continue to be great. Credit to Barry for this.

Center- Ryan Jensen. FA in his first year for Tampa. Truthfully, I was pretty disappointed in his play. Intensity without the associated skill is how I describe him. I’d bet that PFF ranks him in the bottom quartile. Someone with a PFF subscription can fact check this if they have time and want to.

RG- Caleb Benenoch aka Caleb Icantblock. 2016 5th rounder. He’s horrible. Has no business being an NFL starter. No improvement in 3 years.

RT- Demar Dotson. Older guy. Been in the league at least a decade. A bit underrated. He’s not particular athletic but technically he’s sound. Above average guy who is better at pass blocking rather than as a run blocker. Has been about the same since Barry got there. Didn’t see improvement or regression.

Thanks for your insight, but do we just leave out other years such as the huge turnaround in 2015 with very young talent?

Attachments

• 9FA30D63-EE31-47E8-9061-B489B6E27D72.jpeg
    9FA30D63-EE31-47E8-9061-B489B6E27D72.jpeg
    307.9 KB · Views: 113

Individually:

Donovan Smith - 66.0 - #47 T
Ali Marpet - 73.2 - #8 G
Ryan Jensen 54.8 - #28 C
Caleb Beneoch - 46.3 - #77 G
Demar Dotson - 67.1 - #43 T

Tampa finished #20

The write up after Week 17.

There are a lot of negatives we could highlight about Tampa Bay this season, but we’ll focus on the one player who took a big leap forward this season. Ali Marpet moved back to guard and had a career year. He was the fourth-highest graded left guard in the NFL this season after struggling with his transition to center a year ago.

Advertisement
Thanks for your insight, but do we just leave out other years such as the huge turnaround in 2015 with very young talent?

You’re right. To be fair, we shouldn’t leave 2015 out. It’s an interesting hire. Seems to be an upgrade from a technical aspect alone. Recruiting and ability to evaluate talent are unknowns with regards to Barry. The fact that he can say he’s coached both in college and the pros should be an advantage.

Donovan Smith - 66.0 - #47 T
Ali Marpet - 73.2 - #8 G
Ryan Jensen 54.8 - #28 C
Caleb Beneoch - 46.3 - #77 G
Demar Dotson - 67.1 - #43 T

Tampa finished #20

The write up after Week 17.

There are a lot of negatives we could highlight about Tampa Bay this season, but we’ll focus on the one player who took a big leap forward this season. Ali Marpet moved back to guard and had a career year. He was the fourth-highest graded left guard in the NFL this season after struggling with his transition to center a year ago.

Thx for the fact check. Seems like my takes were about right relative to their rankings.

Marpet is a nice combo of talent plus work ethic. Should be a helpful recruiting tool.

Advertisement
Well he has one thing going for him on the recruiting trail. He can sell his NFL experience. Not sure if that works with today's kids but it has to be a plus.

She has the iq of a candy necklace but I’d hate **** her

Oh my friend. You need to get down with the following statements.

Oh, Oh really?

Hmm, you don't say.

Seriously?

No way!

That's crazy!

Okay.

In most situations one will apply no matter what the woman says.

Advertisement
****, Diaz and Enos could hire Jesus himself and he would get criticized by some of our fan base. I can see it now:

1. Jesus has no experience coaching an O-line.

2. What recruiting experience does Jesus have?

3. Jesus = Searles - They are the same but Jesus just has a bigger fan base.

This board is so far gone nowadays. SMDH!
What makes you think Jesus would make a great OL coach?? Jesus is our Lord and Savior but I think even he would admit that there are others more qualified for that specific job.

What makes you think Jesus would make a great OL coach?? Jesus is our Lord and Savior but I think even he would admit that there are others more qualified for that specific job.

Are you trying to say Jesus isn't everyones first choice to coach everything and anything?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back