Burns in the Portal

Advertisement
Kid looked explosive every time that he touched the ball the last couple of years, so of course he didn’t get more meaningful carries.

I’ll be following his career closely, and wish him the very best. Something tells me that he’s gonna make our corches look real bad.

Lol...no he did not look explosive.

He looked adequate, looked like he belong...He had some talent and is an adequate 3rd or 4th RB. Let's not get carried away though.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t he vying for a 5th star via Rivals after his sophomore yr, and then the shear amount of injuries knocked him to a higher 3 star recruit?

Some of which were stubbed toes he refused to play through.

Nice kid, if I'm not mistaken a minister? Didn't embarrass himself at UM for sure...But never seemed to love football and softer than babyshyt

Advertisement

Travis Homer
Deejay Dallas
Trayone Gray
Camron Harris
Lorenzo Linguard
Robert Burns.

1 - 5 star
3 - 4 star
2 - 3 star
Except Trayone Gray moved to fullback because he wanted to get on the field and not be a 6th string running back. Robert Burns was coming off a serious injury and was redshirted (got 2 carries in 2 games) so once again, you have 4 scholarship running backs. Lingard got 17 total carries and Harris got 28 total carries. Most of those came against Savanna State. Not to mention, both Lingard and Burns both ended up transferring because they didn’t want to be 5th string running backs. Had the portal existed then, Gray probably would have transferred too.

You’re not going to be able to keep a quality running back on the roster to be 5th string. Unless you want to sign guys who can’t play anywhere else and will be happy just to be on the team. At that point, you might as well just use a walk-on and not waste a scholarship.

When did I say the 5th RB had to play? We can’t he be a Freshman that is redshirting?

Miami needs to get better at roster management
The 2001 team had 4 scholarship running backs.
Portis
Mcgahee
Gore
Payton

Najeh Davenport moved to fullback because he didn’t want to be the fourth string running back.

Miami doesn’t even use a fullback anymore so carrying 5 or 6 running backs is useless

The 2001 team had 4 scholarship running backs.
Portis
Mcgahee
Gore
Payton

Najeh Davenport moved to fullback because he didn’t want to be the fourth string running back.

Miami doesn’t even use a fullback anymore so carrying 5 or 6 running backs is useless

So I went and googled the rosters for the 4 teams in the CFP this year (Bama, Ohio St, ND, and Clemson). Guess what? They all had at least 6 scholarship RBs.

I also went and looked Auburn rosters from 2013-2016 when Lashee was the OC there. With the exception of 2013 when they had 5 scholarship RBs, every other they had 6.

We have 85 scholarships, do you think it is not better to have a 6th RB or a 16th OL?

Advertisement
Except Trayone Gray moved to fullback because he wanted to get on the field and not be a 6th string running back. Robert Burns was coming off a serious injury and was redshirted (got 2 carries in 2 games) so once again, you have 4 scholarship running backs. Lingard got 17 total carries and Harris got 28 total carries. Most of those came against Savanna State. Not to mention, both Lingard and Burns both ended up transferring because they didn’t want to be 5th string running backs. Had the portal existed then, Gray probably would have transferred too.

You’re not going to be able to keep a quality running back on the roster to be 5th string. Unless you want to sign guys who can’t play anywhere else and will be happy just to be on the team. At that point, you might as well just use a walk-on and not waste a scholarship.
I'm with you.

Say Cam & Chaney get hurt next year. Is splitting carries between Knighton/Franklin vs Knighton/Burns going to be that much different?

And if our top 3 RB's go down we're probably screwed, but:

1) When have the Top 3 RB's gotten at injured in the same year at any school ever? I'd be impressed if anyone can name an example of this
2) If your Top 3 guys at any position at any school get injured - you're pretty much screwed no matter how many players you have at that position.

So I went and googled the rosters for the 4 teams in the CFP this year (Bama, Ohio St, ND, and Clemson). Guess what? They all had at least 6 scholarship RBs.

I also went and looked Auburn rosters from 2013-2016 when Lashee was the OC there. With the exception of 2013 when they had 5 scholarship RBs, every other they had 6.

We have 85 scholarships, do you think it is not better to have a 6th RB or a 16th OL?
Because it’s not about roster spots. It’s about finding a Miami caliber running back who wants to be 5th string. Is there a four star running back, or even a highly rated 3 a tar running back who will sign at Miami to be 5th string or worse? Of course there isn't. Maybe Alabama or Ohio State can load up on superstar running backs but Miami isn’t exactly on their level recruiting wise. Besides, if the first, second, third and fourth team running back all get hurt, your running game is already done.

As for having a 16th O line vs a 6th running back, I’m taking the lineman all day. You play with 5 linemen at a time. You only play with 1 running back.

Fields never should’ve bulked him up to 225 and cmr should never have tried to make him a full back.
He should’ve stayed at 215 tops and worked on speed
If he goes to the right place he’s gonna put up numbers

Advertisement
I realize I'm in a shrinking minority but I think Burns has a chance to be a very good college back.

Because it’s not about roster spots. It’s about finding a Miami caliber running back who wants to be 5th string. Is there a four star running back, or even a highly rated 3 a tar running back who will sign at Miami to be 5th string or worse? Of course there isn't. Maybe Alabama or Ohio State can load up on superstar running backs but Miami isn’t exactly on their level recruiting wise. Besides, if the first, second, third and fourth team running back all get hurt, your running game is already done.

As for having a 16th O line vs a 6th running back, I’m taking the lineman all day. You play with 5 linemen at a time. You only play with 1 running back.

Some points

1. Lashlee offense at Auburn used a lot of shotgun 2 RB sets and a lot motioning of the RBs. Also used the RBs as lead blockers for the QB. Think his name was Nick Marshall.

2. RBs don’t just play RB. Homer and Deejay were ST Beasts, Duke was a good returner. RBs can and should used like Toney was as a receiving threat for UF This past year.

3. Miami Caliber? How many RBs from South Florida are in the NFL and never got sniffs from Miami? Off the top of my head - Devin Singletary, Devonta Freeman, Gio Bernard, Latavius Murray, James White, Raheem Mostert. Under ranked gems can be found, developed, and kept home. It is not that hard and a lot easier to keep a 6th RB on the roster than the 16th OL.

3. I would love to see your ideal roster breakdown and where you think we should use the 85 scholarships.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back