Burgess Owens wrote an article in today's Wall St. Journal

jkaz1

Senior
It's not every day that one of our Canes writes an article in the WSJ, so thought I'd mention it.

It's a good read about him and it's not surprising that he's been successful in life beyond playing ball. It's in the "Opinion" section.

It's timely, too because there's the thread going on right now about the Tallahassee schools; he went to Rickards about half a century ago.

And he's very likely the best player we've got from that town.

Was a very good ball player at Miami (AA) and in the pros (Jets and Raiders).

If you don't subscribe to the newspaper, I'd recommend picking up a copy - it's worth the read.

Advertisement
it's said what the African kings did selling slaves to the europeans to bring to America.

Advertisement
My cousin right now is smiling in Heaven. Huge Burgess Owens fan as well as Chuck Foreman.
First round draft pick from the U.
Now in WSJ.......Boss

We sometimes forget about the older names, before we became a championship team in the 80s. But Miami had been producing NFL greats well before that. I remember Foreman well as I grew up a Bears fan and he always shredded us.

I read the article and agree with much of what Burgess is saying ... when I was 11-12 years old he gave me his wrist bands after one of the UM games. I must say Burgess conveniently ignored the advantages the "Plantation Class" wrote into law for themselves.

I believe in what The Godfather of Soul once sang about "I don't want nobody to give me nothing ... open up the door, I'll get it myself."

Advertisement
I read the article and agree with much of what Burgess is saying ... when I was 11-12 years old he gave me his wrist bands after one of the UM games. I must say Burgess conveniently ignored the advantages the "Plantation Class" wrote into law for themselves.

I believe in what The Godfather of Soul once sang about "I don't want nobody to give me nothing ... open up the door, I'll get it myself."
Interestingly, both Burgess and James Brown were Republicans.

We sometimes forget about the older names, before we became a championship team in the 80s. But Miami had been producing NFL greats well before that. I remember Foreman well as I grew up a Bears fan and he always shredded us.
We were producing greats long before Chuck Foreman. Get yourself a copy of Jim Martz' history of Miami football, written in 1980. It's called Hurricane Watch.

Last edited:
It's not every day that one of our Canes writes an article in the WSJ, so thought I'd mention it.

It's a good read about him and it's not surprising that he's been successful in life beyond playing ball. It's in the "Opinion" section.

It's timely, too because there's the thread going on right now about the Tallahassee schools; he went to Rickards about half a century ago.

If you don't subscribe to the newspaper, I'd recommend picking up a copy - it's worth the read.
Too bad it's behind a pay wall. By the time I can get to the newsstand it will be gone.

Advertisement

Can probably count on one hand, or a little more, the number of kids from Tallahassee.

Don't know what's happened to the panhandle, but in the '80's the Panhandle was teeming with talent. The Pensacola schools were often powerhouses. And we could rarely get any interest from kids in that region. Are they nearly as good now?

I read the article & agree it's definitely worth reading.

Can probably count on one hand, or a little more, the number of kids from Tallahassee.

Don't know what's happened to the panhandle, but in the '80's the Panhandle was teeming with talent. The Pensacola schools were often powerhouses. And we could rarely get any interest from kids in that region. Are they nearly as good now?
Not at all....Every now and then Escambia...Niceville...Choctawhatchee etc.. have a Powerhouse yr....but thats about it....Danny Wuerfull Won a State Title at FWB in 91....former UM TE Mike Rodrigue played at Choctawhatchee....Niceville was **** Good when Kenny Felder was there (80s)
And Tallahassee Lincoln had some Powerhouses back in the day...

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back