Burgess-Becker: Alabama standing out the most

Advertisement
My gut is telling me we are slipping with these guys because we aren't putting guys in the league like some of these other schools.

Or could it be these guys are sick of hearing everyone pencil them into Miami

I haven't followed those dudes so I don't know.

But my theory is that sometimes having a kid on campus too many times can be a bad thing. By that I mean they've been around it so much that they eventually want to see something new because that place loses its shock value.

The UF homers won't admit it but I think that is happening with UF right now when it comes to Byron Cowart and CeCe Jefferson. They've been on UF's campus like 100 times and they've had UF leading forever yet won't commit. I'm betting they go elsewhere in the end.

Not all of the story, but that comes to mind for Johnnie Dixon and Sony Michel. Johnnie Dixon was on campus like 12 times between spring and fall. He goes to OSU one time and commits. Sony lived on campus for 4 years. Makes one trip to Athens randomly in the summer and he commits to them. Like I said, probably not the whole story, but I don't think you're wrong.

Yea. Eventually if a kid is on campus a billion times, then that place loses its luster. They've seen and heard everything there is to see/hear so if they really wanted to be there they'd commit by now.

It seems like SBB and Ridley has been to Miami a lot, so what's the hold up? I get that kids are encouraged to draw their recruitments to drum up interest, but most know where they want to go. Some of the best recruiters around (Bowden, Meyer, Saban, etc.) have always said they wanted to be a kid's last visit so they're the last team on his mind. I think there's something to that.

If we go by Killa1storm's theory Miami is not getting Jaquan Johnson Tim Irvin and Jordan Cronkrite either

I don't think it's a full proof thing, either. Every kid's recruitment is different. I just think some kids like novelty. Eventually the excitement wears off. For me, I appreciate being comfortable with my future school. I wouldn't need novelty.

If we go by Killa1storm's theory Miami is not getting Jaquan Johnson Tim Irvin and Jordan Cronkrite either

Not really. Every kid is different, I wasn't trying to make a statement regarding Miami's chances with any recruit. That's just a theory I have based on trends I've followed with recruits over the years.

Like I said before some of the best recruiters in the game fixate on getting the last crack at a recruit and I think that correlates with my theory. You never wanna be the 'old chick' so to speak. You never want the novelty to wear off and lots of visits early sometimes causes that novelty to wear off.

Advertisement

Not really. Every kid is different, I wasn't trying to make a statement regarding Miami's chances with any recruit. That's just a theory I have based on trends I've followed with recruits over the years.

Like I said before some of the best recruiters in the game fixate on getting the last crack at a recruit and I think that correlates with my theory. You never wanna be the 'old chick' so to speak. You never want the novelty to wear off and lots of visits early sometimes causes that novelty to wear off.

It is about relationships. Just like when you thought JC Jackson was going to Miami and he choose UF because of Trob. SBB has been saying for awhile now that the coach he has the best relationship with is Mario. Just because he has been to Miami a bunch of times doesnt mean he has the best relationship with Miami. He talks about how often he talks to Mario. Sometimes it is not the prospects it is who the parents have the best relationship with or the girlfriend etc. In Sofla mentors are also involved and it has been said Golden and some of the other staff member not named Coley dont want to play that game.

Last edited:
Win, get a couple of All Americans mentioned on the team, and all will be set. Who wouldn't want to be the man in your own city? Unfortunately, these top recruits ain't buying what Golden is saying right now. He's gotta prove it, first, on the field. If we prove it on the field, look for us to have a memorable recruiting class...if we fail again, look for this ship to sink.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back