Building town homes and have a few ??? if theres any builders on here.

That’s more of an extension of the new Hourglass District than SODO IMO. Decent area if you want to be close the popular areas but not in it (Thornton Park, Hourglass, SODO, Milk District, Mills50), plus you’re near the Conway chain of lakes if you’re into that.
Very true and don't forget Bakery Plus, I haven't been in a while but they used to have the best donuts and breakfast sandwiches.

Go Canes

Advertisement
I'm Super close friends with several Registered Land Surveyors...I would call one of several Quality Engineering/Survey companies in Orlando...@RVA Cane brought up a good point in ref to Set Backs....Buffers..etc...and God forbid you need to remove tree's...(especially 10" and over Oaks)...Good Luck with that...
If you know a good Surveyor, they can absolutely give him a good engineer to use.

If you know a good Surveyor, they can absolutely give him a good engineer to use.
Large Survey companies have there Engineering done in house...small Survey companies have there Engineering done elsewhere....They're Super strict in ref to Disturbing Natural resources anywhere near Downtown Orlando...ESPECIALLY near my home (Lake Lawsona/Thorton Park area)....God forbid you trim a tree without consulting with the Lake Eola Historical Society...Lol.....Some areas...if you remove a Hardwood for your Development...you have to replant a certain amount elsewere on property.

Advertisement
Look at the zoning ordinance and the comprehensive plan The comprehensive plan is the blueprint of what the city envisions in the area. The zoning will tell you what it’s zoned for now.

If there are other similar high density units right there, that will help you in getting a re-zoning if needed. If the comprehensive plan calls for higher density uses, adding residential to the area... etc... that will help.

Go to the Development review office for the city or whatever it is called in Orlando. You will want to talk to someone in planning and zoning. They may or may not give you accurate advice. Sometimes they may be against something but the Board of Supervisors - or whoever hears these things there - may be supportive of the economic activity if it fits within some parameters.

You can talk to a locally connected civil engineer and/or land planner and ask them what your chances are for approval. If you are buying the property, potentially give a deposit which becomes a non-refundable deposit after a certain amount of days of due diligence - maybe 90 days. Then do not close on the balance due until you have record plat for a certain number of units. You set this all up in the contract. Base your price to the landowner on a per unit approved basis and give yourself an opt out if you can’t get a certain minimum number approved where it is no longer feasible for you to continue.

Good luck man. It’s exciting stuff. Make sure you have a handle on your expected sales pace and your timelines for site development and construction along with a handle on all ordinary and any extraordinary development costs like sewer connection fees as ordinary and hitting rock as extraordinary. Make sure your engineer and land planner know if there are fee assessments for schools - and development limits due to overcrowded schools. They will let you know how much density you can get. You will lose density for setbacks, topography, green space requirements, impervious issues. - you need an expert there.

^^^^
This ^^^^ is by far the BEST advice given. STRONGLY CONSIDER FOLLOWING IT. In general, be aware that others giving advice may have their own agendas, so do your own research in addition to seeking advice. .

Good luck. Wish you the best

Last edited:
Me and business partner are about to get into some good money and looking to invest into something. Im looking at a piece of property near down town Orlando that has great rental prices and everything goes super quick. Its near Bumby and michigan ave area if you know Orlando.

So 1 question is what kind of saving can you get per sq feet if we build 20 to 30units, possibly 40 if we can fit them on the prpoerty. . Im thinking 2 pads or possible break it up into 4 pads.

Also wondering how hard is it to get the zoning changed if its not zoned for town houses. For the record there is a few small apartment type complexes real close by but they are very old.

Last though I have right now is there a place you can look up plans. Im not trying to build some mack daddy town houses but obviously I need some kind of plans to go off.

Thanks for any help fellas.
Get your priorities straight. We just lost GR15!!

Having a hard time getting funds for development of multi family projects at the moment (in Tennessee). Banks aren’t wanting to do it due to the current landscape (people can’t pay rent, not working, funds are short, etc) and it makes it that much more difficult that there’s no clarity on the rapidly increasing evictions (our area is 5.5 months behind to even get a court date).

I do some work with an investment firm that runs a huge chunk through private investments that do a ton of development for multi family, hotels, and office space. It’s a **** hole right now. Not even mentioning projects being shut down because the laborers quit to draw unemployment because they make more money to do nothing than they do working their *** off.

My .02... wouldn’t do it.

Advertisement
Why would you ask CIS for guidance on anything outside of football?
This is my point.
I would not go on a football sports public board for multi million $ advice. Especially in Real Estate.

But here goes:

Spend the money first in getting the best advisors in real estate in that area. Not one but 2 different groups.
Second look with your own eyes where growth is taking place.
Third timing is everything.
Build them does not automatically mean you "rent them" .
Example: Here on a High travel route (288) developers built on a high travel road with thousands of vehicles daily , however less than a mile away another competitive builder started building also with basic one bedroom to luxury 4 bedroom units.. Then another is developing property next door, so you will be not alone, and things could be very competitive.
Advertising and promoting your development is crucial, and competitive.
Recognize this and have contingency plans for the number you need to rent in order to cover all your commitments.
Honestly, real estate is not the best investment to be starting in at this time. Watch the economy.
Good luck.

Me and business partner are about to get into some good money and looking to invest into something. Im looking at a piece of property near down town Orlando that has great rental prices and everything goes super quick. Its near Bumby and michigan ave area if you know Orlando.

So 1 question is what kind of saving can you get per sq feet if we build 20 to 30units, possibly 40 if we can fit them on the prpoerty. . Im thinking 2 pads or possible break it up into 4 pads.

Also wondering how hard is it to get the zoning changed if its not zoned for town houses. For the record there is a few small apartment type complexes real close by but they are very old.

Last though I have right now is there a place you can look up plans. Im not trying to build some mack daddy town houses but obviously I need some kind of plans to go off.

Thanks for any help fellas.
I work in civil engineering, townhomes are HOT right now, although I absolutely despise them.

Generally getting zoning change requires a city commission meeting, would have to be passed by the commission and could be opposed by the public, if that’s the case then it may not pass at all.

In order to get plans, I highly suggest you hire an architect, if you want some plans to go off of, find a building you like, and request the plans from the municipality, it’s public record and has to be shared. Generally through the engineering division.

it sounds like you’re pretty new to this. It’s not as easy as you may think and there are ALOT of factors you have to take account of. Being the money man is one thing, but there’s a lot of things that can go wrong. I assume you’re banking that by the time these are built, this pandemic crisis will be over and people will be able to pay their rent again...

oh and like others said above, hire the most reputable land surveyors and engineers around, also find out Which developers have the best relationships with the city, and hire the most reputable ones as well

Last edited:
Why would you ask CIS for guidance on anything outside of football?
I know we're all effed up here, but why not throw it out there.
There's 16,000 members representing hundreds of jobs/professions and walks of life.
From what I've read, the free advice offered will be invaluable to him.

Last edited:
I believe someone may have mentioned this, but my advice would be to start at a smaller scale.
Get to know process, procedures and professionals.
You will make mistakes, which correlates to $. Minimize your hits by lessening your outlay.

One other thing. Stay away form the cheap guys.
There's a reason why they're cheap.
There's value to paying a little more in hiring the right advisors, architects and engineers up front.

Advertisement
I'm Super close friends with several Registered Land Surveyors...I would call one of several Quality Engineering/Survey companies in Orlando...@RVA Cane brought up a good point in ref to Set Backs....Buffers..etc...and God forbid you need to remove tree's...(especially 10" and over Oaks)...Good Luck with that...
Theres some big oaks on the property but I hope they can stay if were able to get the land. I don't know the rules on that but have heard that can be a real *****.

I work in civil engineering, townhomes are HOT right now, although I absolutely despise them.

Generally getting zoning change requires a city commission meeting, would have to be passed by the commission and could be opposed by the public, if that’s the case then it may not pass at all.

In order to get plans, I highly suggest you hire an architect, if you want some plans to go off of, find a building you like, and request the plans from the municipality, it’s public record and has to be shared. Generally through the engineering division.

it sounds like you’re pretty new to this. It’s not as easy as you may think and there are ALOT of factors you have to take account of. Being the money man is one thing, but there’s a lot of things that can go wrong. I assume you’re banking that by the time these are built, this pandemic crisis will be over and people will be able to pay their rent again...

oh and like others said above, hire the most reputable land surveyors and engineers around, also find out Which developers have the best relationships with the city, and hire the most reputable ones as well
Thanks for your input. The hope is that the virus will ben done or we will have a vaccine by the time these are finished.

Advertisement
This is my point.
I would not go on a football sports public board for multi million $ advice. Especially in Real Estate.

But here goes:

Spend the money first in getting the best advisors in real estate in that area. Not one but 2 different groups.
Second look with your own eyes where growth is taking place.
Third timing is everything.
Build them does not automatically mean you "rent them" .
Example: Here on a High travel route (288) developers built on a high travel road with thousands of vehicles daily , however less than a mile away another competitive builder started building also with basic one bedroom to luxury 4 bedroom units.. Then another is developing property next door, so you will be not alone, and things could be very competitive.
Advertising and promoting your development is crucial, and competitive.
Recognize this and have contingency plans for the number you need to rent in order to cover all your commitments.
Honestly, real estate is not the best investment to be starting in at this time. Watch the economy.
Good luck.
This location is about as prime as it gets and everything in the area goes instantly. This is also one of two pieces of land in the area that are for sale so it wont last long. We see what happens, thanks for the advice.

I know we're all effed up here, but why not throw it out there.
There's 16,000 members representing hundreds of jobs/professions and walks of life.
From what I've read, the free advice offered will be invaluable to him.

This place is a soup sandwich.

If they're HUGE Oaks (28" and up) Good luck getting approval to move them...and if your limited for Space...between the Set backs..and/or easements...they could be a hinderence
Theres some big oaks on the property but I hope they can stay if were able to get the land. I don't know the rules on that but have heard that can be a real *****.

Advertisement
Back