build a stadium fundraiser

Reppingtheu

Redshirt Freshman
Whats up guys. I've been reading this forum for a a month or two now. Been a canes fan for about 26 years, since I was 8 years old. Ive read a couple of posts and articles about The Profit and some other guys who pledge to put up some money to build a stadium. Has anyone tried to start a fundraising campaign to get this done? I know Highsmith started something a while back but there were concerns about where the money was actually going. Has anyone started something specifically for a stadium?

I ask because a couple of friends and I are thinking about putting a team together to try to get it done. We aren't special by any means and don't have any famous connects, we don't even live in Miami (from the orlando area).

Just have a few questions. Is Money the main reason why the university hasn't built a stadium? Are any of you guys interested in starting a grassroots movement? Any ideas for where to start gathering information?

Never know what you can accomplish until you give it a shot. Any info or help would be much appreciated.

Advertisement
I don't think money is so much the issue as long as Miami Dade residents don't have to foot the bill like the atrocity that is Marlins Park.

The school would have to put in the money and fund raise like you would let believe. I could see the county getting involved if high schools would host football soccer games etc...and it could be a joint thing.

Then there is the land issue...county owns tropical park are they willing to let the build happen there if high schools are allowed to host games...

I believe there is multiple issues to be addressed but anything is possible

I started a gofund me page with my $100 and then Lemonis and Lebatard put $1MM each so we are at 2,000,1000 gofundme.com/BuildMiamiaStadium

Advertisement
I posted this in another thread but you can donate to the school and restrict the way they use the funds. They are a non-profit organization and a lot of the money comes from donations. If you donate, you could restrict it to be used only on a stadium, and the school cannot use the funds until they build the stadium. They can invest it and make money off the principal through interest but you could also restrict that.

Advertisement
$2,000,100 :eek:

Here is a perfect stadium for UM (Vanderbilt Stadium) with 40,500 permanent seating and an open end zone for 7,500 additional seats for bigger games. We only need about another $348 million.

https://www.google.com/search?q=vanderbilt+football+stadium&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=947&site=webhp&tbm=isch&imgil=p7LGxXidGQAB6M%253A%253BjhOCC1IDn3DAaM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.vanderbilt.edu%25252Fncc%25252Ffootball-seating-parking.php&source=iu&pf=m&fir=p7LGxXidGQAB6M%253A%252CjhOCC1IDn3DAaM%252C_&dpr=1&usg=__xTtebeiGgRmJjG8QG_ZRbBACh2w%3D&ved=0ahUKEwj3nb-__qbJAhUBUiYKHUZuCgYQyjcIJQ&ei=4EFTVvetDoGkmQHG3Kkw#imgrc=p7LGxXidGQAB6M%3A&usg=__xTtebeiGgRmJjG8QG_ZRbBACh2w%3D

I started a gofund me page with my $100 and then Lemonis and Lebatard put $1MM each so we are at 2,000,1000 gofundme.com/BuildMiamiaStadium

Last edited:
The link to the go fund me for miami stadium does not work. Is there one that exists?

There's no official fundraising campaign yet as far as I know. If you listen to Marcus' radio interview today on 790 The Ticket, he estimates it will take about $200 million to get the job done and he is willing to put in more than the $1 million he pledged on his Twitter post. He has become a significant donor to the Athletic department in the last year and he communicates with Blake James and Jesse Marks. BTW, during the radio interview, Romberg said the FAU folks raised $70 million quickly for their stadium. Not true. See here for the facts as reported by the Palm Beach Post. The radio is worth listening to as Marcus shows he's clearly aware of some of the non-funding issues at the Tropical Park site. After all, he played football there in high school.

Advertisement
I posted this in another thread but you can donate to the school and restrict the way they use the funds. They are a non-profit organization and a lot of the money comes from donations. If you donate, you could restrict it to be used only on a stadium, and the school cannot use the funds until they build the stadium. They can invest it and make money off the principal through interest but you could also restrict that.

So you want people to send their money to UM for a stadium even though UM isn't raising money to build a stadium. Sounds like a winner. I send $1,000 to the school and they just sit on it since they can't spend it. And I don't have my $1,000.

Finance major?

So you want people to send their money to UM for a stadium even though UM isn't raising money to build a stadium. Sounds like a winner. I send $1,000 to the school and they just sit on it since they can't spend it. And I don't have my $1,000.

Finance major?

I don't understand why you're taking shots. I'm simply stating what I know. It's an option. People here know very well the school sits back and does the bare minimum. I'm not saying anyone here should start it. I'm saying if Lemonis is serious about it he should get it going. Start the fund and have people donate to it. I've always said the former players should have done this. When I get those ESPN alerts about guys donating a million here and there I'm just like, man if they would only do that for a stadium this could become a real possibility. It's gotta start somewhere. It takes one of those big guys to drop the first major donation and get the ball rolling.

Finance major?

I don't understand why you're taking shots. I'm simply stating what I know. It's an option. People here know very well the school sits back and does the bare minimum. I'm not saying anyone here should start it. I'm saying if Lemonis is serious about it he should get it going. Start the fund and have people donate to it. I've always said the former players should have done this. When I get those ESPN alerts about guys donating a million here and there I'm just like, man if they would only do that for a stadium this could become a real possibility. It's gotta start somewhere. It takes one of those big guys to drop the first major donation and get the ball rolling.

This is what I was saying on another thread. The school always avoids people bringing up the facilities issues and anything involved with money towards our football program. If he just offered to give $1 million, they would take it, and put it towards the hospital in no time. But since he wants it put towards football, they don't want any part of it, unless they control how it is used. They avoided Highsmith, and they will avoid this. As soon as Ross mentioned a buyout of the lease at SLS in regards to us partnering with Beckham, you never heard anything else about it.

Miami admin wants everything for free, or done without their effort, or nothing is happening at all when it comes to football. If the fans and alumni raised all the money, they would take it. But if they had to set up the campaign or go through the legal issues, it's not happening.

Advertisement

Finance major?

But that's not what you said. You said to send money to the school and earmark it for a new stadium. If the school isn't running a fundraiser, what do you think they are going to do with your check?

Finance major?

But that's not what you said. You said to send money to the school and earmark it for a new stadium. If the school isn't running a fundraiser, what do you think they are going to do with your check?

I meant it to be as an option. Not telling anyone what to do with the money. I don't know why you're so hostile and coming at me.

Finance major?

This is what I was saying on another thread. The school always avoids people bringing up the facilities issues and anything involved with money towards our football program. If he just offered to give $1 million, they would take it, and put it towards the hospital in no time. But since he wants it put towards football, they don't want any part of it, unless they control how it is used. They avoided Highsmith, and they will avoid this. As soon as Ross mentioned a buyout of the lease at SLS in regards to us partnering with Beckham, you never heard anything else about it.

Miami admin wants everything for free, or done without their effort, or nothing is happening at all when it comes to football. If the fans and alumni raised all the money, they would take it. But if they had to set up the campaign or go through the legal issues, it's not happening.

Thanks for understanding my POV. The hockey star over there wants to be hostile.

Advertisement
Back