BuffsInsight: The Coach Deion Sanders from JSU to Colorado Mega Thread

Advertisement
Gimme Zo RIGHT NOW in an actual fight against Grime in his PRIME.
Alonzo would beat Deion within an inch of death in a fight...Like James Toney claims he did back when they were in high school. I wouldn't want to see it, though, as fighting for no reason, especially at their advances ages is silly.

I can’t disagree there isn’t a segment of society disliking Deion because of the color of his skin. It would be foolish of me to make such a claim. I wouldn’t presume to estimate what percentage of the dislike is racist or not. Like the ‘black quarterback’ I would hope the ‘black head coach’ there’s a thing of the past. I’m sure we’re not there yet. We don’t live any post-race of society, so we certainly aren’t in sports.

I do believe some of the dislike is Deion’s shameless self-promoting. Sanders been that way since college. He has every right to do so. As head coach of Colorado it’s one way of promoting his school and attracting recruits. He is a master of media manipulation. I have no problem with it and I think it’s rather entertaining. Disliking this aspect of Deion in not in itself racist in my opinion. The same fans disliking Deion might be fans of Mike Tomlin and how he carries himself. A lot of sports fans don’t care for the ‘look at me’ attitude prevalent in our society. A lot of sports fans couldn’t care less.

I do believe some of the dislike is the shameless butt-kissing the media engages in on a daily basis. Before games, during games, post game, and between games. I suppose it’s their job. CFB is desperate for personalities and Deion provides that exponentially. I’ve posted in other threads the CFB media wants Miami ‘back’ because the Canes brought personality to the sport. After all, Miami invented swagger.

Listen, would the sports media be cranking the same hype engine for Kevin Sumlin if he had Colorado 3-0? Would Colorado even be ranked?
Let me be clear. I am not saying people are disliking Deion because he is black. Although I agree, I am sure there are segments that feel that way.

I am saying there are people that dislike the fact that a segment of the black community supports him because he is black. That they (black community) would put that ahead of "he is a Nole" there is a reason that Zo said "I support Deion." because let's be real, he could have left that out, and I am betting part of that is he feels like to some degree, because of the hardships black head coaches have faced, he SHOULD BE supporting Deion, just not to the degree that is detrimental to the program.

Some people view that kind of support in of itself as racist, divisive etc.....The mere mention of race makes some people uncomfortable.

But guess what, in the black community, yes, we are still trying to accomplish some things. Whether it be ownership, winning a national championship etc... And there can't be anything wrong with that, right?

My periodic reminder

IMG_6505.jpeg

Advertisement
Let me be clear. I am not saying people are disliking Deion because he is black. Although I agree, I am sure there are segments that feel that way.

I am saying there are people that dislike the fact that a segment of the black community supports him because he is black. That they (black community) would put that ahead of "he is a Nole" there is a reason that Zo said "I support Deion." because let's be real, he could have left that out, and I am betting part of that is he feels like to some degree, because of the hardships black head coaches have faced, he SHOULD BE supporting Deion, just not to the degree that is detrimental to the program.

Some people view that kind of support in of itself as racist, divisive etc.....The mere mention of race makes some people uncomfortable.

But guess what, in the black community, yes, we are still trying to accomplish some things. Whether it be ownership, winning a national championship etc... And there can't be anything wrong with that, right?
We’re in agreement. Yes, there are people who don’t believe in the black community supporting their own, above almost all else.

Nothing wrong with that at all.

A college football national championship would look nice with the Super Bowls won by Tony Dungy and Mike Tomlin.

Irvin and Johnson are jumping on hypetrains because clout is important, but at the same time, you start wearing stuff from other colleges you didn't attend nor played for, its over. I don't get why you're doing that.

Deions losing these first 2-3 games, and no one ever cares about them. He starts winning and we have people rather be there.

Y’all are taking this **** too seriously.

First of all that message from Zo wasn’t really “calling out“ anybody. Not only that, it just ain’t that serious.

These guys being there is not going to make one bit of difference on whether a player signs with us or not, or what our future fortunes are. But go ahead if you want focus on three-toes, go ahead, you are just giving him more attention, which is exactly what he wants.

Just another of the many threads on this guy, and you guys are participating in his hype. Nice going.

Advertisement
Who cares.
I'm with you on this one. Who cares them boys been friends for yrs. What's change now. Stop over reacting people's. I can guarantee you if CU.played Miami. Them.boys would pick Miami n be standing on Miami side. What's the big fuss.... Some of you all need to stop taking stuff personal.

Advertisement
I think prime is closer to the U former players then fsu former players. Something isn't right there. They haven't supported him or been to his Games. **** he doesn't even claim fsu half of the time.

Advertisement
I agree 100%. I don't like to see Sapp or Irvin or the Rock in Buffalo gear, unless maybe if they have a child at that school. But I don't think it is only about Deion being a friend, former colleague, teammate, or only about his super star status. Deion being a black coach PLUS all of the aforementioned is also part of the equation. Some people don't like it. It's clear they don't. Some people actually are very offended at the prospect of that, which I don't understand. It actually disgusts some people for a black man to blatantly say "I want to see Prime do well." Because you know, let's name some of the others: Kevin Sumlin, Randy Shannon, Charlie Strong, Freeman is at Notre Dame, Shaw, Herm Edwards. NONE of them, maybe except Sumlin or Shaw, have been able to generate the excitement he has. Results remain to be seen but he is off to a good start.

It's a real thing and I am struggling to see why it's wrong, when you consider the standing and history of black coaches in the power 5 ranks. Some are going to facepalm this post, disagree with it, dislike it. And I haven't the slightest idea why it would bother anyone.

Listen, whether it's Toney Dungy, Mike Tomlin, Doug Williams winning the super bowl, Barak Obama the presidency. It is going to generate excitement within our community.

The issue is that Deion is a conman, a dude that has NEVER, EVER given a **** about the culture or our people. As I said in a previous thread, he had no problem being a company man, parroting nonsense until they stopped patting him on the head. Then he suddenly gave a crap, by taking the JSU job, knowing full well he didn't give a **** about that institution either. He was there in an attempt to cut the line in regards to climbing the coaching ranks, and it worked, and to be honest, was an inspired idea. Amazing that as soon as someone came calling, he ran out the door, and his "We're going to do something for the culture, we're going to bring it back" rhetoric went as well. Maybe I wouldn't have a problem with the guy had he kept his mouth shut and not brought in God and everything else, when it was all BS, but he was running an obvious con.

Amazing that all those celebrities that showed up to Jackson to ride his jock magically forgot that school existed once the circus left town. JSU is right back to square one, but hey, at least they got some facility improvements out of it, and an ESPN Gameday appearance. What's even worse that Deion and his people "Borrowed" a lot of the HBCU experience, and brought it to a place where 2% of the student body is Black. Bet you that if he has any significant success at CU, he will try to erase JSU from his narrative.

He's hiding behind our people, just like the prosperity preachers that rob our community of wealth. They use "If you are against me, you are racist" to deflect any and all accountability. Deion is free to do whatever he wants, but keep this in mind: Neither he nor the rest of these Black celebrities ever bothered to support guys like Ty Willingham, David Shaw, Randy Shannon, etc. David Shaw was winning at STANFORD for years, it would have been nice had Black celebrities supported him like older Black celebrities supported John Thompson at Georgetown and John Chaney at Temple. That didn't happen, because our celebrities are trash now and the ones that aren't are aging out. I'll never get how we went from Harry Belafonte and Sidney Poitier to Offset and Lil Wayne. It's going to be a sad day when Denzel Washington, Sam Jackson and that generation leave the scene because the bench is weak.

Amazing how someone like Warren Sapp gave minimal if any significant support to Randy Shannon, a brother he KNOWS. Randy coached Sapp, but then again, Warren is a POS so I'm not all that shocked. Warren will jump on any bandwagon, and I am willing to bet people like Zo could do without him being around the program. He's an alum, but honestly, he's that dude at the class reunion no one really wants to deal with.

Last edited:
Deion isn’t going to work hard at recruiting high school players throughout the season like most coaches. He’s going to rely on hype and clout to poach players players through the transfer portal and pull in a couple of high profile five stars. He will probably have success with this approach because a lot of people are gullible and impressionable.
That isn't a sustainable model, but Deion just wants to do the minimum needed to get him to a bigger job. Good luck building quality offensive and defensive lines that way, and you aren't winning anything of note when you are a P5 school getting manhandled by mediocre MW squads. I will say this though, it's extremely likely it works, because in today's recruiting world, flash wins a lot of the time. The kids Deion will target are going to be susceptible to his pitch.

Whose going to be at Hard Rock in Tampa @11am next Sunday poolside?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back