BuffsInsight: The Coach Deion Sanders from JSU to Colorado Mega Thread

I can totally respect where you’re coming from. Your character analysis of Deion may be right on the money, honestly from where I sit, it seems to be. But he would not be the first or the last coach to use an institution like that, although this one hits personally. Thanks for your response.

I think a lot of people share my viewpoint, mostly because it feels like he took advantage of people that could least afford to get hosed. It's akin to these prosperity preachers taking advantage of the poorest amongst us, people that can't afford to give, but do because they need something, anything to believe in. I'm not an alum of an HBCU, most of my immediate family, the ones that attended college didn't attend an HBCU. That said, I've always had a soft spot for those schools, because I know that as a Black man, they walked so I could run. They have been doing so much with little funding, no support, you want to see them do well, and they thought that someone like Deion would help get them to a better place. Prime isn't someone like Buddy Pough, or Rod Broadway someone that needs to cash in on a big contract if offered. Deion is wealthy as is, I wouldn't be shocked if the interest/dividends on his investments dwarfed his JSU salary.

Oh well, it is what it is. Maybe Eddie George figures out a way to get TSU back on track. Maybe some other NFL HOFers that want to coach end up coming to those schools and choose to stay long term.

Advertisement
He is correct. It is the type of place that would hire a person like Deion because it makes them look good. Diverse and virtuous. In practice they are everything but. I think it is going to be difficult for him to succeed there, much like the 5 guys before him.

Worked out pretty well for Tucker

I think a lot of people share my viewpoint, mostly because it feels like he took advantage of people that could least afford to get hosed. It's akin to these prosperity preachers taking advantage of the poorest amongst us, people that can't afford to give, but do because they need something, anything to believe in. I'm not an alum of an HBCU, most of my immediate family, the ones that attended college didn't attend an HBCU. That said, I've always had a soft spot for those schools, because I know that as a Black man, they walked so I could run. They have been doing so much with little funding, no support, you want to see them do well, and they thought that someone like Deion would help get them to a better place. Prime isn't someone like Buddy Pough, or Rod Broadway someone that needs to cash in on a big contract if offered. Deion is wealthy as is, I wouldn't be shocked if the interest/dividends on his investments dwarfed his JSU salary.

Oh well, it is what it is. Maybe Eddie George figures out a way to get TSU back on track. Maybe some other NFL HOFers that want to coach end up coming to those schools and choose to stay long term.
I hear where you are coming from. Unfortunately, I sincerely hope JSU wasn't banking on Deion turning into Eddie Robinson 2.0 and be there for 50 years. I mean, the guy's nickname is "Primetime". He just doesn't strike me as the type of guy who's personality would allow him to stay at the FCS level and plug away.

Hopefully JSU had the same train of thought about Deion as I did when they hired him. Basically, use him for 2-3 years to put JSU on the map nationally, bring in funding, and build the program up.

Advertisement
My guess is Deion's expiration date in Boulder will be as close to 2024 as possible. This is when USC and UCLA leave for the Big 10. He'll be able to recruit the **** out of LA and the rest of Southern Cali while those schools are still in the PAC 12. However, once they leave, it will get tougher and tougher to get kids from those high schools out to Colorado the longer they are out of the Big 10.

On the surface level, I'd agree.

But when you think about it, the HBCU lane is rooted in culture for these kids. Get paid (NIL) and become an instant celebrity on campus and forever be celebrated by your culture for putting HBCU ball on the map.

Colorado can offer TV games (they will get TV time with Prime) and some solid NIL packages being about 45min away from Denver.
Boulder CO...the community, the fan base, ALL OF IT....

isn't even in the same Galaxy as Jackson St...this is a desperate and terrible fit by both parties...

with that said, Prime is betting on himself...he wins with da Buffs....he can name his next job in SEC (or wherever else he wants to go)

Advertisement
On the surface level, I'd agree.

But when you think about it, the HBCU lane is rooted in culture for these kids. Get paid (NIL) and become an instant celebrity on campus and forever be celebrated by your culture for putting HBCU ball on the map.

Colorado can offer TV games (they will get TV time with Prime) and some solid NIL packages being about 45min away from Denver.
Let the man advance his career if that's what he wants

This.

If Colorado changes their transfer rules (right now it is hard to get in) and commits to NIL then he should take this in a heartbeat.

Colorado has nice facilities, a proven history of sustained success, rich boosters, and probably most importantly a lot of bad ******* walking around.

It would be easy to recruit there for Deion.
Don't forget they been ahead of legalization for a couple decades now!

Advertisement
Let the man advance his career if that's what he wants
Totally agree....I will say part of me wanted to see him harness the right forces of support and turn J State into a superpower (amd perhaps HBCUs overall).

If he would have done that, CFB fans would sing songs to his greatness 10,000 years from now...

Advertisement
Totally agree....I will say part of me wanted to see him harness the right forces of support and turn J State into a superpower (amd perhaps HBCUs overall).

If he would have done that, CFB fans would sing songs to his greatness 10,000 years from now...
I do wish it was more like 4 to 5 high profile coaches in the HBCU conference instead of one with Prime, then it would be more sustainable instead of relying on mostly one individual to bring more attention to the conference

So far he's got Charles Kelly at DC, Nick Williams at D-Line and rumored to be Tim Brewster at TE. He's got a bit of a hard on for FSU connections. Go figure. I wonder what his budget is and who the OC will be.

Advertisement
Back