BuffsInsight: The Coach Deion Sanders from JSU to Colorado Mega Thread

I think this is a boom or bust situation. This has the potential to change the college coaching landscape, but there is also a very good chance that it fails in spectacular fashion.

Advertisement
Congratulations to Deion, I would’ve never guessed 10 years ago that he would be the head coach of a legit P5 team.

Having said that, and based on my limited knowledge of the general attitude of hiring decision makers, I would’ve waited for a different school that I think would fit better, something in the south, especially the southeast. But that’s just me.

Totally agree. I think Deion could have done better. USF would have been a great oppty for him.

Odd assessment. Jackson State was a bottom of the barrel when he took over the program. He didn't inherit a well oiled machine. I'm sure his son will be coming with him so he will have a QB at least but he showed he could build a program albeit at a lower tier.
I just don't think we know what he'll do at this level. I think he's absolutely an attractive candidate and a good choice for Colorado, but now we'll see what he can really do on a grand scale.

I think it's good fit

1. He's in a major power 5 conference
2. Team has low expectations won 1 game last year, he could win 5 or 6 and they'll be happy
3. No pressure he could learn and take his lumps there as first time major level coach
4. He can instantly out recruit anyone in the Pac12 other than Oregon, USC

Advertisement
He's going to do better than any of y'all think. When Colorado was at their best, they were recruiting L.A. and California heavy. Deion got that confidence that he can go into any room with an inner city kid and have the whole family believing and that he can out recruit the middle class of the Pac12 to get close to the top quickly.

Can see him getting lots of Cali kids and Texas kids. Colorado can recruit itself with the right salesman.

Lots of energy to a pretty lifeless program, too. All the PR for Coach Prime.

I know I’m in the minority here but I think this was a poor decision by Deion. I don’t think he has success there. Boulder is a weird place. As many of you have already stated he belongs in the South /South East.

Think he struggles. Don’t think It’s the right fit for both parties, but Colorado is as desperate as we are so I get it.

Advertisement
I just don't think we know what he'll do at this level. I think he's absolutely an attractive candidate and a good choice for Colorado, but now we'll see what he can really do on a grand scale.
The same can be said for every coach. I'm sure he will get a couple Portales so cupboard won't be bare. P12 is definitely the place to cut your teeth.

Advertisement
Coach Prime just living a Dynasty Mode.
1670126533591.jpeg

Advertisement
The same can be said for every coach. I'm sure he will get a couple Portales so cupboard won't be bare. P12 is definitely the place to cut your teeth.
I don't think it can be said that every coach is an attractive candidate for a school like Colorado. Prime brings an initial buzz that is unique. If he succeeds early (9 wins), he'll be up for a big boy job in 2 years.

Congratulations to Deion, I would’ve never guessed 10 years ago that he would be the head coach of a legit P5 team.

Having said that, and based on my limited knowledge of the general attitude of hiring decision makers, I would’ve waited for a different school that I think would fit better, something in the south, especially the southeast. But that’s just me.
Deion just wanted out of Jackson, I honestly don't think he cared who it was, dude had his agent linking him to **** near every P5 job that came up. The entire "I'm here for the culture, I'm here to elevate HBCUs" was a con. It was ALWAYS a con, dude wanted to get a P5 job despite having a super thin resume, outside of being a legendary player. FSU laughed him out of the room when he tried to interview for the job after Willie T got canned, dude didn't even have a degree at that point. He saw HBCUs as stupid/desperate enough to hire him with that resume, and they did.

I give him credit, he did find a way to get a bunch of FBS bouncebacks to buy in, get them to show up and dominate one of the weakest conferences in FCS. He won some recruiting battles, by finding a way to leverage his star power, but I've never been all that impressed by his actual coaching. Honestly, he just feels like a part time coach that fills the role while everyone else does the majority of the work. That doesn't fly in P5, and we're about to see what happens when a desperate program tries to win the press conference, instead of making a rational move. What Deion is hoping happens is that he can leverage the portal, get just enough talent in to get CU to bowl eligibility, to where he can move up even further in short order. That's the plan. He doesn't try to build programs to last, he just needs them to not be awful until he can leave for something better.

another stepping stone for Prime. Two to three years from now if he’s successful you’ll see him at FSU or the SEC. Then possibly NFL if successful at one of those schools. He’s doing it the right way from high school up.

Advertisement
Back