Buddy Goins

Since this is my thread, allow me to say there can never be enough Freddie Miles FOOTBALL talk.

I was a freshman at Miami Springs when Freddie was a senior. It was sad to watch in real time. Dude couldn't read and everyone on campus knew it but in those days it was assumed that he'd still be able to go to college just for football. There's a City of Miami police Officer that used to post updates on Freddie from time to time. He's been living on the streets for decades now. Who knows if he's even still alive. 😢

As for Buster Rhymes, he had a couple good years at Oklahoma after getting moved to WR. He got drafted by the Vikings in the 4th round, had a 1300 yard receiving year as a rookie then disappeared from the league. I have no idea what happened to him. Dude was a straight gangster though. Bozworth always said that the only person he ever feared was Buster Rhymes. He used to tell stories of BR getting hammered and taking his AK to the roof of the football dorm and firing random rounds around the area. :eek:
Buster got sentenced to two years in prison for a carjacking in Minnesota about 20 yrs ago.

Didn't he go to Oklahoma largely because of Elvis Peacock? Many may forget Buster was also a fine basketball player at N'western too iirc.

Advertisement
Buster got sentenced to two years in prison for a carjacking in Minnesota about 20 yrs ago.

Didn't he go to Oklahoma largely because of Elvis Peacock? Many may forget Buster was also a fine basketball player at N'western too iirc.

Thanks for that update.

What an amazing run of great backs Northwestern had in that era. To go from Elvis Peacock to Buster Rhymes to Melvin Bratton is unreal.

In case anyone is interested:

1685113353422.png

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back