Buddy Goins

SFbayCane

All American
Passed away this week. Rest in Peace, coach.

RIP Carl "Buddy" Goins. Longtime Miami Springs High School Football Coach Carl “Buddy” Goins.
Goins spent 43 years as a teacher and coach in Miami-Dade County. A self-proclaimed tobacco chewing redneck from Kentucky, Goins was a true old-school coach who forbid his players from growing their hair long or wear earrings. He preached discipline through a combination of tough love and compassion for his players. Goins began his coaching career as an assistant at Miami Edison High School, working under another coaching legend Haywood Fowle. He eventually moved on to Miami Springs High and served as head coach from 1976 to 2001. Although he never won a state title, Goins was one of the most respected football coaches in Miami-Dade County history. He led the Golden Hawks to three undefeated regular seasons. (1978, 1979 and 1993)
Football teams often reflect the personality of their coach. During the Buddy Goins era, Miami Springs was known for having tough, scrappy and well-coached teams. Goins had the ability to get the most out of his talent. His teams were often small in numbers and lacked the depth of their competition. In 1993, he took a team with less than 30 players and led them to an undefeated season against some of the best competition in Dade County. His teams played many memorable high school games at the Orange Bowl, including battles against Miami Northwestern, Miami High, Miami Jackson and Miami Southridge during the late 1970s.
Although Miami Springs lacked the depth of some of its rivals, the Golden Hawks didn’t exactly lack talent. Goins coached some of South Florida’s best high school players, including future NFL players Reggie Kinlaw, Hector Gray, Lomas Brown, Eddie Miles, Orpheus Roye, Willis McGahee and Devin Aromashodu. (McGahee transferred to Miami Central his senior year)
Some of his best players never made the NFL, but were among the finest in Dade County history, including former University of Miami linebacker and 1984 Orange Bowl MVP Jack Fernandez and prep All American running back Freddie Miles. Many others became successful in areas outside of football including Florida Congressman Kendrick Meek. After coaching his last game in 2001, Buddy Goins summed up his career by saying, “My biggest thrill is to take a dog-*** kid, get him into college and see him be successful”. Buddy Goins was 86.

1684784548244.png

1684784565712.png

1684784587181.png

Advertisement

RIP Carl "Buddy" Goins. Longtime Miami Springs High School Football Coach Carl “Buddy” Goins.
Goins spent 43 years as a teacher and coach in Miami-Dade County. A self-proclaimed tobacco chewing redneck from Kentucky, Goins was a true old-school coach who forbid his players from growing their hair long or wear earrings. He preached discipline through a combination of tough love and compassion for his players. Goins began his coaching career as an assistant at Miami Edison High School, working under another coaching legend Haywood Fowle. He eventually moved on to Miami Springs High and served as head coach from 1976 to 2001. Although he never won a state title, Goins was one of the most respected football coaches in Miami-Dade County history. He led the Golden Hawks to three undefeated regular seasons. (1978, 1979 and 1993)
Football teams often reflect the personality of their coach. During the Buddy Goins era, Miami Springs was known for having tough, scrappy and well-coached teams. Goins had the ability to get the most out of his talent. His teams were often small in numbers and lacked the depth of their competition. In 1993, he took a team with less than 30 players and led them to an undefeated season against some of the best competition in Dade County. His teams played many memorable high school games at the Orange Bowl, including battles against Miami Northwestern, Miami High, Miami Jackson and Miami Southridge during the late 1970s.
Although Miami Springs lacked the depth of some of its rivals, the Golden Hawks didn’t exactly lack talent. Goins coached some of South Florida’s best high school players, including future NFL players Reggie Kinlaw, Hector Gray, Lomas Brown, Eddie Miles, Orpheus Roye, Willis McGahee and Devin Aromashodu. (McGahee transferred to Miami Central his senior year)
Some of his best players never made the NFL, but were among the finest in Dade County history, including former University of Miami linebacker and 1984 Orange Bowl MVP Jack Fernandez and prep All American running back Freddie Miles. Many others became successful in areas outside of football including Florida Congressman Kendrick Meek. After coaching his last game in 2001, Buddy Goins summed up his career by saying, “My biggest thrill is to take a dog-*** kid, get him into college and see him be successful”. Buddy Goins was 86.

View attachment 239286

View attachment 239287

View attachment 239288
Great Coach...RIP

View attachment 239286

View attachment 239287

View attachment 239288
RIP, Coach.

Jack Fernandez was a helluva college LB back in the early to mid-80s. Very underrated at UM.

Advertisement
Great coach. Really good guy. As mentioned, he coached some really good players, some of which went on to do great things in football and some others that were super talented that unfortunately didn't make the most of their God given ability. I remember you Coach. RIP 🙏🏾 and may God bless his loved ones.

I've said this before here but my favorite player at Springs and to me debatable if he was the best ever there, was Mitch Green, RB in the 1990-1991 timeframe I believe. He was unreal. Would make unbelievable runs look routine. He could have been a great college back but other things good in the way, as they often do.

I've said this before here but my favorite player at Springs and to me debatable if he was the best ever there, was Mitch Green, RB in the 1990-1991 timeframe I believe. He was unreal. Would make unbelievable runs look routine. He could have been a great college back but other things good in the way, as they often do.
Miles was better

Advertisement
That 93 team was special. Lost 6-0 I believe to Davis brothers and Lamont Green in 2nd round on a last second goal line stand. Shut the Davis brothers down all game .Almost all two-way players and that Defense was filthy.

Yeah, sad story. He signed an LOI with Miami but couldn't qualify academically. One of the best RBs ever from So Fla. When I hear Freddie's name, always brings to mind Buster Rhymes from Northwestern. Two great RBs from the same time.
Those 2 with Tony Smith from the Ridge a year behind them. Miles and Rhymes though could have been All Pro players had they been able to take care of a few things.

I know, I know, enough of the Miles and Rhymes talk

Those 2 with Tony Smith from the Ridge a year behind them. Miles and Rhymes though could have been All Pro players had they been able to take care of a few things.

I know, I know, enough of the Miles and Rhymes talk

Since this is my thread, allow me to say there can never be enough Freddie Miles FOOTBALL talk.

I was a freshman at Miami Springs when Freddie was a senior. It was sad to watch in real time. Dude couldn't read and everyone on campus knew it but in those days it was assumed that he'd still be able to go to college just for football. There's a City of Miami police Officer that used to post updates on Freddie from time to time. He's been living on the streets for decades now. Who knows if he's even still alive. 😢

As for Buster Rhymes, he had a couple good years at Oklahoma after getting moved to WR. He got drafted by the Vikings in the 4th round, had a 1300 yard receiving year as a rookie then disappeared from the league. I have no idea what happened to him. Dude was a straight gangster though. Bozworth always said that the only person he ever feared was Buster Rhymes. He used to tell stories of BR getting hammered and taking his AK to the roof of the football dorm and firing random rounds around the area. :eek:

Advertisement
Since this is my thread, allow me to say there can never be enough Freddie Miles FOOTBALL talk.

I was a freshman at Miami Springs when Freddie was a senior. It was sad to watch in real time. Dude couldn't read and everyone on campus knew it but in those days it was assumed that he'd still be able to go to college just for football. There's a City of Miami police Officer that used to post updates on Freddie from time to time. He's been living on the streets for decades now. Who knows if he's even still alive. 😢

As for Buster Rhymes, he had a couple good years at Oklahoma after getting moved to WR. He got drafted by the Vikings in the 4th round, had a 1300 yard receiving year as a rookie then disappeared from the league. I have no idea what happened to him. Dude was a straight gangster though. Bozworth always said that the only person he ever feared was Buster Rhymes. He used to tell stories of BR getting hammered and taking his AK to the roof of the football dorm and firing random rounds around the area. :eek:
@SFbayCane ...my Grandmother and Aunt lived in Kendall back then. On a break from Culinary School in 79, I went and visited them for 2 days, and with a friend, went to see Freddie play. The one play (until this day) that is ingrained in my mind, was a pitch out to Freddie, that he broke for an 80+ yd TD, in a manner that 44yrs later makes me still shake my head.

@SFbayCane ...my Grandmother and Aunt lived in Kendall back then. On a break from Culinary School in 79, I went and visited them for 2 days, and with a friend, went to see Freddie play. The one play (until this day) that is ingrained in my mind, was a pitch out to Freddie, that he broke for an 80+ yd TD, in a manner that 44yrs later makes me still shake my head.

I was in 8th and 9th grade during the Freddie Miles era at Miami Springs. I got to see a bunch of his games. It was a massive part of my childhood.

Here's an article I found from last year saying that he turned 60 last year but there is no mention of him directly. Again, I wonder if he's still alive.

Snippet:
Miles led Dade County with 1,420 yards rushing his junior year and 1,326 yards as a senior, earning Parade All American honors.
Miles led Miami Springs High to back to back undefeated regular seasons. In most of his games, Miles did not play in the fourth quarter due to lopsided scores. Many longtime observers consider Miles the best running back to ever play at high school level in Dade County, ranking ahead of great players such as Frank Gore, Elvis Peacock, Troy Davis, Willis McGahee, Duke Johnson and Dalvin Cook.

Advertisement
I was in 8th and 9th grade during the Freddie Miles era at Miami Springs. I got to see a bunch of his games. It was a massive part of my childhood.

Here's an article I found from last year saying that he turned 60 last year but there is no mention of him directly. Again, I wonder if he's still alive.

Snippet:
Miles led Dade County with 1,420 yards rushing his junior year and 1,326 yards as a senior, earning Parade All American honors.
Miles led Miami Springs High to back to back undefeated regular seasons. In most of his games, Miles did not play in the fourth quarter due to lopsided scores. Many longtime observers consider Miles the best running back to ever play at high school level in Dade County, ranking ahead of great players such as Frank Gore, Elvis Peacock, Troy Davis, Willis McGahee, Duke Johnson and Dalvin Cook.
Yeah...I've seen it...I heard yrs ago he was homeless in the Brownsville area of Miami. What a shame and complete waste. Sarge said he's without question the best HS RB he's seen and coached against. The late Joe Brodsky who himself was an Excellent HS coach, not to mention a UM RB coach, and the Cowboys RB coach (when Emmit was there) said Quote "Freddy was the best RB I've ever seen regardless of age"....

Yeah...I've seen it...I heard yrs ago he was homeless in the Brownsville area of Miami. What a shame and complete waste. Sarge said he's without question the best HS RB he's seen and coached against. The late Joe Brodsky who himself was an Excellent HS coach, not to mention a UM RB coach, and the Cowboys RB coach (when Emmit was there) said Quote "Freddy was the best RB I've ever seen regardless of age"....
And you know where I stand. Never seen, played with, or against anyone better than Miles. And yes, that's my era.

Dude couldn't read and everyone on campus knew it but in those days it was assumed that he'd still be able to go to college just for football.

That's probably what to led His downward spiral, a lot of kids can't overcome the stigma of illiteracy. H e l l, it costs thousands just to get diagnosed for dyslexia, I read somewhere that 50% of prisoners are dyslexic.

Advertisement
Back