Bubble Screens

Against the right def with proper blocking and timimg they work great. Prob is most teams over utilize them at the wrong times and WRs rarely block. I personally hate them but they can be a good play if properly executed.

Advertisement
i hate them. they rarely go for many yards and are extremely high risk. far more likely to throw a pick six or if the qb throws backwards and the wr drops it, we're talking fumble

Like it was mentioned before, it's necessary if the defense isn't respecting the perimeter. If you're trying to run out of shotgun and don't have a mobile QB, you need a way to stretch the defense horizontally on the backside. We're been running from under center more the past few weeks so we haven't needed it, but it's still a useful play. We were probably running it a bit too much there the first few games.

It's a lazy playcall for many of these new OC's who don't have an identity. Typically, those guys have 'play offenses' meaning they see a play work well in someone else's offense and then decide to incorporate it, even if it's not particularly useful in their scheme. In general, its not an effective playcall. We would use it as a sub for a check with me. For example, if the corner was laying 5-7 yards off and you had numbers then the QB would just flip it out there while everyone else executed whatever play was called. It was never a called play though. But after a while we stopped doing even that because corners would sag off to bait us into that throw and just blow it up whenever it was thrown. It's gotten way overused by OC's who don't understand what the role the play is supposed to serve. It's a constraint play and nothing more.

Advertisement
As a resident of Charlotte during the panthers glory years with Steve Smith in his prime... Nobody in the NFL could stop that man on a bubble screen

Granted I know not many people have Steve smith's ability but I don't see how they are complete useless. The minute they eliminate in from football, someone is going to run one unexpectedly and will get a long gain or touchdown. James Coley just needs to be less predictable and find better ways to get our playmakers the ball instead of consistently using bubble screens

I still can't that bubble screen against Louisville out of my head.

I think he was trying to be ultra-conservative and give a new freshman QB very easy stuff in his first game.

Was that a true bubble screen Sinorice Moss ran to beat FSU back in 2004? I've googled it, and some call it bubble screen, others say it was a slip screen. What's the difference?

First off Maryland says hi that they aren't effective. The bubble screen isn't designed to necessarily get big yard. It is an extension of the run game. It's a nearly automatic completion and usually nets some yardage. I know Miami hasn't been great at it but doesn't make it a bad play.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Seems like bubble works well against defense that has cbs playing way off-- like Al's. They seem to work well against us. We had some success last year but perhaps that was because the only other pass Morris could throw was bombs away and cbs laid off our WRs to keep the top on. Kaaya uses whole field much better so they dbs have to play more balance. I prefer TEs over middle and screens to Duke and Yearby. Get Coley and Dorsett down field with Berrios ad TEs cruises mid field with rbs out of backfield. Seems like every bubble to WR this year has resulted in a punt.

Advertisement
First off Maryland says hi that they aren't effective. The bubble screen isn't designed to necessarily get big yard. It is an extension of the run game. It's a nearly automatic completion and usually nets some yardage. I know Miami hasn't been great at it but doesn't make it a bad play.

Anything's effective when you're going against "talent" at DB like Lee Chambers and Mike Williams.

Advertisement
Back