Bubble Screens

D

deleted1998

Today on Mike & Mike, John Gruden said he would eliminate bubble screens from all levels of football. Amen! Why can't other coaches realize they rarely work?

Advertisement
Agree. They're chaotic and very hard to execute well. I think there are times when it's warranted (when the other team is blitzing) but it's beyond me why teams continue to run that **** in the red zone. It makes no sense. That's the absolute worst place to run it.

why would one eliminate them??

Just because they don't work for us this year, it doesn't mean they aren't useful.

Advertisement
Today on Mike & Mike, John Gruden said he would eliminate bubble screens from all levels of football. Amen! Why can't other coaches realize they rarely work?

didnt coley score on 2-3 of those last year? they haven't worked this year and i dont remember seeing em all that much the last few weeks. it seems like theyre trying other ways to get coley involved.

Advertisement
like anything else, i dont mind them in moderation. a well timed bubble screen can be effective and i would think it pulls the cb's closer to the LOS and opens up the downfield passing game. maybe once or twice a game. but at times there we seemed like a bubble oriented offense, really glad we have gotten away from them.

Coley hasnt called a bubble in the last 3 games I think. Thank God!

I don't get to watch the game with nearly as much focus as I used to due to having 3 small kids, but it seems to me that we've gotten better if nothing else simply by avoiding the dip**** negative plays where were trying to get too cute. It's amazing how much, at every level of football, just avoiding something terrible can allow your offense to have some continuity.

Doesn't the Broncos use bubble screens? They can work but like AU said they are hard to execute

Advertisement
Doesn't the Broncos use bubble screens? They can work but like AU said they are hard to execute

Broncos usually run it with a very physical WR in Demaryius Thomas and the blocking is superb also against a defense who is caught in bad situation by one of the best to ever lace em up in Manning. We seem to try to force to run it with Coley who hasnt ate since his tooth was pulled months ago and blocking from Berrios even when its covered by defense....

BIG difference

I don't hate the bubble screen, you just have to pick your spots and then be good at it (i.e. execute). I don't think there's anything inherently bad about the play. Stacy killed VT and a few others on that play last year.

Advertisement
Bubble screens have a place as a constraint play if a defense is crowding the box, blitzing or sagging off the DBs' alignment. They should not be called indiscriminately as a means to gain chunk yards (Nix & sometimes Coley have done this). That to me is a sign of laziness & over-conservative gameplanning by the OC. I like WR screens best when they're incorporated as a read in a packaged play or as a sight read/check at the line.

One thing Gruden does advocate for that I'd like to see from Miami is more bunch formations. Too often we allow defenses to take away our speed WRs at the line because they're isolated across the formation. Also Kaaya executes horizontal reads well between the numbers...tight bunch should be effective.

Bubble screens work!

dig-dug-virtual-console-20080612054832103.jpg

Bubble screens have a place as a constraint play if a defense is crowding the box, blitzing or sagging off the DBs' alignment. They should not be called indiscriminately as a means to gain chunk yards (Nix & sometimes Coley have done this). That to me is a sign of laziness & over-conservative gameplanning by the OC. I like WR screens best when they're incorporated as a read in a packaged play or as a sight read/check at the line.

One thing Gruden does advocate for that I'd like to see from Miami is more bunch formations. Too often we allow defenses to take away our speed WRs at the line because they're isolated across the formation. Also Kaaya executes horizontal reads well between the numbers...tight bunch should be effective.

Took the post right outta my finger tips. Vpi got burned on that play by coley last year because they were loading the box.
Its a play that was warranted a lot last season because teams were really loading up to stop our run game. furthermore, you have to have physical blocking wrs AT THE POINT OF ATTACK to be successful at the screen game. You miss a guy like allen hurns when it comes to those screens.

Chip kelly would kill you with the bubble screen because he sets it up off of another play. Like running the draw with lamichael james on every drive then fake the drive throw the bubble screen and its wide open. Hed do it the other way too. throw the bubble screen to death then fake the screen hand off the draw.

Chip is a master of keeping the defense on its toes with deceptive playcalling and formations. something coley has FINALLY shown he can do

Advertisement
Back