Brugess Owens on TV

Great title for an intended audience that judges books by their covers.

Have you judged it by the cover/title?

Yes and in the same way I would judge a man that looks at himself in the mirror more than my girlfriend.

I'm an attorney. I don't need a catchy, provocative, or scintillating title to read a book.

Dang, time have changed. I don't practice anymore, but when I did, catchy, provocative, or scintillating was all that mattered. Maybe I was just tired of reading the endless case books. I reserved my nose in the air reading list to Religious text and translating Vatican documents from Latin to English -- never trust the America Bishops to do the job right.

Anyway, I will pick up this book and read it. I watched Burgess play and love all things Cane. It has always been my contention that libs like Donna hated Cane football because it was mostly a bunch of black kids from the inner city turning the world upside down all by themselves. Libs could not stand that. No other school ever touched that. It is always because of one great coach, or donors, or the institution -- never the kids no less "minority" kids. It is a sort of independence that scares the libs to death, but for me it helped me overcome my own racism -- to the extend I have.

I can admire honesty. Good **** right there.

Advertisement
I plan to buy and read this book (title aside). I read books from across the political spectrum (Coulter, Dershowitz, Dyson, Hill and O'Reilly are all pundits I've read in 2015/6) b/c I think its important to escape the echo chamber. Reading books that match your ideology leads to confirmation bias.

To that end I recommend a few books for those that have not read them. Each have different perspectives from each other and the book by Burgess.

Under Our Skin: Getting Real about Race. Getting Free from the Fears and Frustrations that Divide Us. Ben Watson. I first heard this book recommended on Fox and Friends.

White Rage: The Unspoken Truth of Our Racial Divide. Excellent piece of scholarship by a reknown historian. dovetails really well with Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis (Jd Vance, MUST READ) and Strangers in Their Own Land: Anger and Mourning on the American Right both of which proceed and inform us of the vote.

Either way just figured I'd add recommendations for those that may be looking to explore topics beyond their own bias/beliefs as I do.

Of note, Burgess was/is a Black member of the Mormon Church, that means he and I have more in common than ostensible Cane Fandom.

I plan to buy and read this book (title aside). I read books from across the political spectrum (Coulter, Dershowitz, Dyson, Hill and O'Reilly are all pundits I've read in 2015/6) b/c I think its important to escape the echo chamber. Reading books that match your ideology leads to confirmation bias.

To that end I recommend a few books for those that have not read them. Each have different perspectives from each other and the book by Burgess.

Under Our Skin: Getting Real about Race. Getting Free from the Fears and Frustrations that Divide Us. Ben Watson. I first heard this book recommended on Fox and Friends.

White Rage: The Unspoken Truth of Our Racial Divide. Excellent piece of scholarship by a reknown historian. dovetails really well with Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis (Jd Vance, MUST READ) and Strangers in Their Own Land: Anger and Mourning on the American Right both of which proceed and inform us of the vote.

Either way just figured I'd add recommendations for those that may be looking to explore topics beyond their own bias/beliefs as I do.

Of note, Burgess was/is a Black member of the Mormon Church, that means he and I have more in common than ostensible Cane Fandom.

I did not know that.

Are you also a black mormon bro?

I try to stay away from BS political commentary on this site, but people kill me thinking some some guy is going to lead this country to greatness for us all! Fact is the 1% ers, Corporations and Special Interest financial requests are the only ones whose interests are being addressed. While they entertain and divide the masses with BS like abortion, race, hate, immigration, religion, and the 2nd amendment, they are actively assuring that the ultra wealth, Corporations and Special Interest increase their financial and political control of the country. The banks will hit you with more fees, higher rates and be protected when they ***** up your 401k etc. Mining, Oil & Gas will be unrestricted from sensible safety and environmental restrictions. Electric Co. will continue to control Public Service Commissions and suppress or attempt to gain control of alternative electrical sources. Etc, Etc, Etc. And who do they pray on? The Republican, Democratic and Independent Upper, Middle, low Classes. We all Phucked and stupidly happy when our guy is in the White House.

Quick series of questions that will help you understand life.

Ready? Here we go:

Are you from the hood?

It was respectfully called the Black Section when I came up because you "technically" couldn't live outside it. I marched in Civil Rights protests as a kid. I remembered being scared ****less when older white men, women, teenagers and police would throw rocks, bottles, angrily call you every name for a Black person. I was one of the first Black kids in my county to begin elementary school in an integrated school. I remember walking home from school and white people would intentionally drive through rain water to spray elementary kids. You would also stay well off the curb because they would reach out with sticks and knock the **** out of you too. We had to walk in packs because if you got caught by your self they would ***** you up, elementary kid or not. I say this because this was stuff I know and experienced as a kid and youth. I still cannot believe or grip the depth of hatred for me simply because I'm Black.

That said I went on to college, worked and "slowly" began my own business. I dislike a lot of things about our people and like I can't grip the depth of hate for me being Black, I even more despise how we trash our neighborhoods, degrade and infest our communities with violence and crime. Making it the goal of almost every successful AA family the seek refuge in predominantly white neighborhoods and schools. We cannot blame anyone for that and have to accept that that is on us. My opinion.

I try to stay away from BS political commentary on this site, but people kill me thinking some some guy is going to lead this country to greatness for us all! Fact is the 1% ers, Corporations and Special Interest financial requests are the only ones whose interests are being addressed. While they entertain and divide the masses with BS like abortion, race, hate, immigration, religion, and the 2nd amendment, they are actively assuring that the ultra wealth, Corporations and Special Interest increase their financial and political control of the country. The banks will hit you with more fees, higher rates and be protected when they ***** up your 401k etc. Mining, Oil & Gas will be unrestricted from sensible safety and environmental restrictions. Electric Co. will continue to control Public Service Commissions and suppress or attempt to gain control of alternative electrical sources. Etc, Etc, Etc. And who do they pray on? The Republican, Democratic and Independent Upper, Middle, low Classes. We all Phucked and stupidly happy when our guy is in the White House.

Whether you agree with Obama's politics or not, this was one of the realest quotes I've heard from an American President in quite some time - "After all, if every economic issue is framed as a struggle between a hard-working white middle class and undeserving minorities, then workers of all shades will be left fighting for scraps while the wealthy withdraw further into their private enclaves."

It preserves sanity to stay away from the BS conversations because they are shaped by manufactured narratives intended to divide. If engaging with a person deeply entrenched in telegraphed thought, at best, one may be able to peel away a top layer or two of bias. As a result, "whats the point?" has definitely become the mantra of the jaded. Hopefully President Trump is just taking the reigns as the Troll-in-Chief to entice those that have been on the sidelines to finally have a reason to give a f_ck

Advertisement

Us 1 percenters don't get the hate. Should I give all my money away so you'll like me?

Us 1 percenters don't get the hate. Should I give all my money away so you'll like me?

What's top 1% these days?

Nowhere in my message did I espouse hate for you 1%ers or purpose you give away your wealth to anyone. Maybe you of that 1% who lacks ability to read and comprehend. What I was simply and factually stating is that you 1%ers, Corporations and Special Interests groups have effectively gained control of the US Government and that the concerns and interest of the "other" classes are not addressed.

Yes and in the same way I would judge a man that looks at himself in the mirror more than my girlfriend.

I'm an attorney. I don't need a catchy, provocative, or scintillating title to read a book.

Dang, time have changed. I don't practice anymore, but when I did, catchy, provocative, or scintillating was all that mattered. Maybe I was just tired of reading the endless case books. I reserved my nose in the air reading list to Religious text and translating Vatican documents from Latin to English -- never trust the America Bishops to do the job right.

Anyway, I will pick up this book and read it. I watched Burgess play and love all things Cane. It has always been my contention that libs like Donna hated Cane football because it was mostly a bunch of black kids from the inner city turning the world upside down all by themselves. Libs could not stand that. No other school ever touched that. It is always because of one great coach, or donors, or the institution -- never the kids no less "minority" kids. It is a sort of independence that scares the libs to death, but for me it helped me overcome my own racism -- to the extend I have.

I can admire honesty. Good **** right there.

You can legislate against discrimination but racism is in the mind, heart and brain. That is a personal battle. To be real honest, as racist as most white are, Asians and Blacks and others match us step by step. To really have a chance to cure it, we must all come out of it together, otherwise it is easy to slip back into it.

I think Trump has a shot here. The elite have driven most whites into an existence from which it is easier to see some things from a black perspective. For so many now, it is the same sinking boat. If we climb out together AND realize that were are doing just that, there is a chance we will look at each other with more similar souls. Let's hope that he not only brings the jobs and income back but also that it shared out better. I pray he is sincere with the outreach to Jim Brown and others. No outside threat can defeat us but this divide between us is a cruse we must end. President Obama has a great opportunity but I fear he wasted it for the sake of ideology. Trump has none of that in him, so let's hope he can beat back both parties and do this for us. If he does nothing else we will go down as greatest president. I think we are ready for it, maybe out of mutual desperation, but ready nonetheless.

Advertisement

Ready? Here we go:

Are you from the hood?

It was respectfully called the Black Section when I came up because you "technically" couldn't live outside it. I marched in Civil Rights protests as a kid. I remembered being scared ****less when older white men, women, teenagers and police would throw rocks, bottles, angrily call you every name for a Black person. I was one of the first Black kids in my county to begin elementary school in an integrated school. I remember walking home from school and white people would intentionally drive through rain water to spray elementary kids. You would also stay well off the curb because they would reach out with sticks and knock the **** out of you too. We had to walk in packs because if you got caught by your self they would ***** you up, elementary kid or not. I say this because this was stuff I know and experienced as a kid and youth. I still cannot believe or grip the depth of hatred for me simply because I'm Black.

That said I went on to college, worked and "slowly" began my own business. I dislike a lot of things about our people and like I can't grip the depth of hate for me being Black, I even more despise how we trash our neighborhoods, degrade and infest our communities with violence and crime. Making it the goal of almost every successful AA family the seek refuge in predominantly white neighborhoods and schools. We cannot blame anyone for that and have to accept that that is on us. My opinion.

Good that makes it easy.

There's only money in the hood when the rich white people have extra money to spend.

Sounds like you understand better than most. You've done it.

How do we make hood parents care? I've asked that a billion times.

Ready? Here we go:

Are you from the hood?

Good that makes it easy.

There's only money in the hood when the rich white people have extra money to spend.

Sounds like you understand better than most. You've done it.

How do we make hood parents care? I've asked that a billion times.

Mandatory draft and continuous military action. Taking turns being friendly with the Russians and Chinese in the near term should help.

Great post. Libs hate niqqaz that can think for themselves.

They are none to fond of whitey who thinks for themselves either.

Advertisement

Nowhere in my message did I espouse hate for you 1%ers or purpose you give away your wealth to anyone. Maybe you of that 1% who lacks ability to read and comprehend. What I was simply and factually stating is that you 1%ers, Corporations and Special Interests groups have effectively gained control of the US Government and that the concerns and interest of the "other" classes are not addressed.

So...from each according to his ability, to each according to his needs. Is that the deal?

Ready? Here we go:

Are you from the hood?

Growing up in Miami in late 50's and 60's I saw much of what you speak of. Virginia Key Beach was the only beach that "colored " people could go to. The market where food trade went on had whites and colored water fountains. I went to a Catholic School and the first African American student was a family friend and he and I stuck together because he was not treated very well by other students. I learned a lot about prejudice then and always been amazed at how many are still so prejudiced about color.

[MENTION=5896]Canes26esquire[/MENTION], Thanks, I think. I'll never order calamari again without specifying "virgin" squid.

Advertisement
This book is such a vague portrait of burgess though.
He's nothing if not his own man. For as amazing of a safety he was he is far more of an amazing man. Throughout my life & especially since my old boy passed burgess has always been there to talk about anything. Always has some Hella deep **** he ends conversations with. Keeps me sitting around thinking all night. He is the epitome of why I love & owe such a debt of gratitude to this university. The relationships & experiences I've had throughout the years would be nonexistent without this university. My parents would've never even met if not for the University of Miami & football. I'm sorry for the rant yall. It's been an emotional week.lol.

Ready? Here we go:

Are you from the hood?

Great clarity of thought my Hatar brother. I remember all to well the days you speak of, but from the other side. Truly sad how we have treated each other. Can't say I ever threw a brick, but I also can't say I never thought of it. For that I am sorry. It you are local, that elementary school you mentioned might have been across the street from my house. Pray we can get beyond this divide.

Our great leaders have forever successfully divided us right from left, color against color, *** against ***, while sucking us dry. I hope today we have an chance to take some back but if will not be easy. But more important is that we find way to take it back together as brothers and not enemies. If Trump can bring jobs back AND make sure they get divided in a manner that treat all of us fairly, we have a chance to rise together for the first time. Added to a chance to go to better schools, those jobs could make huge difference.

Strangely, I owe a great deal to the integration you mention was a great benefit to me, but for a bad reason. My pop was Southern white racist of those days. We were poor and I was youngest of 6, but because that school was being integrated he let my Catholic yankee mom put me in Catholic school(Catholics were on bottom of the list for Southerners in those day too). The education I got from the Nuns and Brothers(religious not black dudes) was beyond compare and continues to serve me well to this day. School choice could do wonders for the black inner city communities. My best friend in HS came from Holy Redeemer in Liberty City. He went on to University of Pennsylvania(Trumps school). Not that common in 1970. The Nuns and Brothers did well by him too. Why anyone would want to deny blacks a chance to go to better schools is beyond me. Let's pray better days are ahead for all of us.

Ready? Here we go:

Are you from the hood?

Growing up in Miami in late 50's and 60's I saw much of what you speak of. Virginia Key Beach was the only beach that "colored " people could go to. The market where food trade went on had whites and colored water fountains. I went to a Catholic School and the first African American student was a family friend and he and I stuck together because he was not treated very well by other students. I learned a lot about prejudice then and always been amazed at how many are still so prejudiced about color.

Joe, I remember those water fountains too. I went to Pace High School and we only had one black kid in our class. He and I have same first name and that became the rock we built our friendship upon. I don't remember him being treated bad at school. The Marist brothers would never had tolerated that, and he was a popular kid. This was before the day when Catholic schools recruited players, they were poor back then, but he was a heck of a athlete who many of us knew as a rival from another Catholic Parrish school.

I remember going to the water fountain marked "colored" in the A&P on 12th ave and pushing the button to see what color it was. That was probably 1950. I also resented the fact that I couldn't sit in the back of the bus (I'm laughing at myself now). At that age, it never occurred to me that others "had" to sit in the back of the bus. When you are 5 or 6 you're not really socially aware.

Advertisement
Back