"Brotherhood Cristobal Is Bringing Back"

I agree but I hope your prayers included some Saturdays in the fall.

Is it absolutely necessary for you to mope your way through destroying every single thread?

Yeah, clearly I was only rooting for a particular coach to be hired, and NOT for the improvement in actual games.

Do the Board a favor and disappear for 6 months. If we don't win 10 games, then come back and mope away.

Advertisement
Is it absolutely necessary for you to mope your way through destroying every single thread?

Yeah, clearly I was only rooting for a particular coach to be hired, and NOT for the improvement in actual games.

Do the Board a favor and disappear for 6 months. If we don't win 10 games, then come back and mope away.
I'll make a deal. If you can post under 100 words for a week I'll leave.

Hold on. If you add Jim Burt, who was great, into the top 5, you have to remove someone else. Same for Carter and the rest.
So who are you removing out of:
JB, Tez, Maryland, Sapp and Wilfork?

Advertisement
I just don't understand this conclusion. In the pre-portal past, I could have seen some merit in the "it'll take a couple of years" position. It made sense, as you had to load the talent gun with a couple of recruiting classes. But the Portal allows you to simultaneously douche your own roster while bringing in an influx of players with no bad history in your program who are hungry to do what it takes to win.

To cite just one example, Michigan State went from a 2-5 team to an 11-2 team IN ONE YEAR largely off the strength of the Portal (it certainly wasn't years of high school recruiting). Now I realize that not every team can achieve such a one-year turnaround, but I'm not sure why people think it will take us years to go from 7 wins to 10 or 11 wins.

PARTICULARLY with the schedule we have. Even if we lost to Clemson and aTm, the rest of the 10 games are against teams we beat last year or only lost to by one possession. And none of those teams have recruited at the HS or Portal level in the last 6 months as we have. Fixable.

I don't think it's going to take Mario "years" to get 3 more 4th quarter scores out of this team.
I agree, this is not a team that’s 2/3 years away from a 10 win season. This team should be able to win the coastal, and at least play for an ACC championship this year

I was on the Lane train and I still feel that if Lane was the guy, we would’ve won a lot early on and we would’ve been generally a more exciting team to watch.

However, Lane absolutely would not have been able to build the culture and get the school to fully invest in this program the way Mario has.

I don’t think Mario will produce the on field results in year 1 and maybe even year 2 that we as a fanbase expect, but he’s building something that in the very near future will resemble the Canes that we all fell in love with.

I am more than happy to have him as our head coach.

Go ****** Canes boys.
Yeah I would have been fine with Lane but dude is always looking for his next gig as well

Mario is here for life if it’s successful

I was on the Lane train and I still feel that if Lane was the guy, we would’ve won a lot early on and we would’ve been generally a more exciting team to watch.

However, Lane absolutely would not have been able to build the culture and get the school to fully invest in this program the way Mario has.

I don’t think Mario will produce the on field results in year 1 and maybe even year 2 that we as a fanbase expect, but he’s building something that in the very near future will resemble the Canes that we all fell in love with.

I am more than happy to have him as our head coach.

Go ****** Canes boys.
Bandaid vs. abortion. We needed an abortion, and got it with the Mario.

Advertisement
This is great and all that old players can get together and tweet about how great they were. Wonderful amazing.

Unfortunately this will have virtually zero impact on winning games in 2022 and beyond.

Soooo many times I tried to explain what Mario would bring to the table that Lane Train could never...

Thank you, Jesus, for answering my prayers...

Lane would've brought some offensive excitement to the table, but the work ethic, organizational skills and drive that Mario has is unparalleled. He is changing the program from the inside out—and this is a rare time that hiring "one of us" and a U Family guy actually made all the sense in the world. The Perfect Storm.

This is great and all that old players can get together and tweet about how great they were. Wonderful amazing.

Unfortunately this will have virtually zero impact on winning games in 2022 and beyond.
Maybe not, but that was not the intent. Their purpose is to reestablish and reinforce the culture. Even though the game may have changed tactically, that part of it hasn't. Also, it makes an impression on recruits when they attend events like Legends.

If you do those things, the wins will come.

Maybe not, but that was not the intent. Their purpose is to reestablish and reinforce the culture. Even though the game may have changed tactically, that part of it hasn't. Also, it makes an impression on recruits when they attend events like Legends.

If you do those things, the wins will come.
I agree with this

Advertisement
Lane would've brought some offensive excitement to the table, but the work ethic, organizational skills and drive that Mario has is unparalleled. He is changing the program from the inside out—and this is a rare time that hiring "one of us" and a U Family guy actually made all the sense in the world. The Perfect Storm.

That's all I'm saying.

Again, I was always open-minded in fair in the debate, I always said that Lane was a very good coach. But the Lane Train Bros were very dismissive of the program-building elements that Mario would bring, and kept talking about how if "Lane goes to the NFL in a few years", it was somehow a good measure that he had "succeeded" at Miami.

As everyone is seeing now, the entire foundation of our program needed to be shored up and/or rebuilt. I'm sure that Lane would have had a nice playbook, but Mario is the 24/7 grinder that is making sure that all other elements are handled. I am not saying that Mario is DOING everything, but his constant pressure and urgency is really having an immediate impact on facilities, support staff, and monetary resources.

I would also put Sapp and Pat Riley over Sileo and JB.
JB was obviously a beast and in the top 5 all time of UM D-tackles, but I don’t member Sileo being much of a standout. Pat Riley was excellent until his knee injury against Pitt, which may have been why we didn’t beat Nebraska that year in the bowl game. Riley’s injury left too much responsibility on Sapp’s plate and he couldn’t keep it up in the 4th quarter Of the bowl game.

Top 5 UM d-tackles in chronological order:
JB
Tez
Maryland
Sapp
Wilfork
You can argue about the best duo, but JB certainly the best dt in my opinion. I saw him bowl over linemen and on the next play get off the line so quickly an interior lineman would literally whiff on him. Amazing strength and agility.

This is very snidely dismissive and unaware of UM's history of alumni support.

Our football alums are not "tweeting about how great they were". They are renewing their bonds of friendship and teamwork, and actually showing up to do the work of teaching and recruiting.

In the old dorms of the 80s and 90s and 00s, the phone numbers were assigned. I still remember my phone number for my first three years at UM, and after I moved to a different dorm, it was still the phone number to call my old room. The UM football alums had all the phone numbers for all the current (at the time) UM players and they would call them up during game weeks to inspire and fire up the young players.

This is about more than throwing up the U during Monday Night Football player intros. Our players are all coming back to support Mario and Dan and our current players, to teach them techniques, to inspire them to work harder and play better.

If you don't think there will be any impact on winning games in 2022 and beyond, I honestly don't believe that you have followed the UM football program for the past 40 years.

Advertisement
Where are Rubin Carter, Eddie Edwards & Lester Williams in this list?
Since you're going way back, why stop in the 70s? Where's Al Carapella?

Alcarapella.jpg

Al Carapella

Permanently? No fake names?

@IndayArtHauz , I may need you to officiate.

It would be sooooo worth it. Make it 50 words and we also ban the passive-aggressive troll(s) who upvoted your post.
I generally don’t like people to leave permanently, and I am the premier example of why band bets are dumb. I would much rather you each put each other on ignore.

I would also put Sapp and Pat Riley over Sileo and JB.
JB was obviously a beast and in the top 5 all time of UM D-tackles, but I don’t member Sileo being much of a standout. Pat Riley was excellent until his knee injury against Pitt, which may have been why we didn’t beat Nebraska that year in the bowl game. Riley’s injury left too much responsibility on Sapp’s plate and he couldn’t keep it up in the 4th quarter Of the bowl game.

Top 5 UM d-tackles in chronological order:
JB
Tez
Maryland
Sapp
Wilfork
I remember Dan as being a loud mouth around campus but he dominated in the Fiesta Bowl against PSU

This is very snidely dismissive and unaware of UM's history of alumni support.

Our football alums are not "tweeting about how great they were". They are renewing their bonds of friendship and teamwork, and actually showing up to do the work of teaching and recruiting.

In the old dorms of the 80s and 90s and 00s, the phone numbers were assigned. I still remember my phone number for my first three years at UM, and after I moved to a different dorm, it was still the phone number to call my old room. The UM football alums had all the phone numbers for all the current (at the time) UM players and they would call them up during game weeks to inspire and fire up the young players.

This is about more than throwing up the U during Monday Night Football player intros. Our players are all coming back to support Mario and Dan and our current players, to teach them techniques, to inspire them to work harder and play better.

If you don't think there will be any impact on winning games in 2022 and beyond, I honestly don't believe that you have followed the UM football program for the past 40 years.
Very snide indeed. Yes. Like I fully admit that.

Look I get it, the brotherhood, the comradery, the support.

Frankly lets leave the coaching to the coaches. I'm all for whatever DT wants to come to practice and watch and support. But I dont know if it's such a great idea to start showing techniques and stuff. Like I really do get it. I know what you are saying. That stuff can only go so far with todays athlete.

Fact is they have to do it themselves and find that work mentality. If former Hurricanes can help with that I am all for it.

Advertisement
Back