Bronco Mendenhall to UVA?

Advertisement
Good to see the conference making solid hires. I have been hoping for this for some time. Hopefully Syracuse gets Dino as well.

Advertisement
Lots of talent in that area. London was actually recruiting well especially on the defensive side of the ball. I fully expect them to have a very good defense.

Coastal Won't be a push over

Lots of talent in that area. London was actually recruiting well especially on the defensive side of the ball. I fully expect them to have a very good defense.

Lots of talent but UVA has ridiculolusly high academic standards. He's always going to lose out on some studs who go to VT or WVU because they can't get in to UVA. I suppose if Stanford can do it, then it's not impossible for Mendenhall to build a winner at UVA but I'm surprised he didn't try for a more high profile job if he was willing to leave BYU.

Lots of talent but UVA has ridiculolusly high academic standards. He's always going to lose out on some studs who go to VT or WVU because they can't get in to UVA. I suppose if Stanford can do it, then it's not impossible for Mendenhall to build a winner at UVA but I'm surprised he didn't try for a more high profile job if he was willing to leave BYU.

I wouldn't say ridiculously high academic standards, but enough that as you say it causes them to miss out on some players.
It is a weird move for Mendenhall, it suggests that he was desperate to get out of that program.
I think the lack of conference affiliation is hurting that program, at least on the football side.

He might feel like UVA is more similar as an institution to BYU and that it fits his personality and lifestyle better than a savage program. I worry about his ability to connect with the savages in the tidewater area. Not sure his Mormon no premarital *** or dreds schtick will work in that recruiting base.

Advertisement
I don't think it was a desperate move by Mendenhall. It fits his m.o. program with potential in a power 5 conference and no low expectations. If he can win at UVA he will get some real big time offers. Gotta find out if he has what it takes for big time recruiting and coaching.

Guy's a great coach. I wonder how he'll recruit that Tidewater area. Little different than recruiting Mormons.

They were recruiting in central Florida for non Mormons back when I was in high school... I would say recruiting is about the same every where you go.

Guy's a great coach. I wonder how he'll recruit that Tidewater area. Little different than recruiting Mormons.

They were recruiting in central Florida for non Mormons back when I was in high school... I would say recruiting is about the same every where you go.

How many central Floridians did they land?
Exactly. I knew you'd get it. Recruiting an area and actually signing the top guys in the area are two different concepts.

Advertisement

Forget academic standards, BYU only admits mormons and has hyper strict moral standards. Even with the high UVA academic standards (BYU's are up there as well), Bronco will think he won the freakin lottery in recruiting because the pool just exploded in size from only good Mormons to all eligible kids.

Forget academic standards, BYU only admits mormons and has hyper strict moral standards. Even with the high UVA academic standards (BYU's are up there as well), Bronco will think he won the freakin lottery in recruiting because the pool just exploded in size from only good Mormons to all eligible kids.
All fair points but if he was tired of being handcuffed by admission standards, UVA wasn't the right move. There were other P5 jobs that you would think he could have landed.

Advertisement

I don't think that's true.
Jim McMahon was Catholic and some of those players on squad, probably most of the African Americans, were not mormons.
UVA does have a decent presence in the metroDC area, especially among the kids who play at the strong private school programs and
also with similar type of programs in the mid-Atlantic and northeast.
But they will need more than those type of kids to compete in the ACC, especially Coastal division.

Advertisement
Back