Bring him (Mark Stoops) to me!

It’s KENTUCKY

Do you know anything about the history of college football?

Why wasn’t Saban winning big at Michigan State

Why did Oregon suck balls at Ole Miss

Why did Cristobal have a terrible record at FIU

Why did Dan Mullen only have 1 10 win season at Miss State

Why did Paul Chryst only win 7 games at Pitt max in 3 seasons and then suddenly start winning double digits at Wisconsin

List goes on and on

It’s almost as if those schools have wider access to talent which equals to more success

Once again

It is

KENTUCKY
You asked if I knew anything about the history of college football, then proceeded to use the illustrious history and talent gathering of Wisconsin against Pitt as an example. Yikes. For your own future good keep that knowledge of the history of college football line to yourself. Have a good day man lol.

Advertisement
If we're not going to get a championship grade coach we may as well let the one we have grow into the position. Changing coaches every 4 years hoping to luck into a championship coach hasn't worked for us in 20 years.

I can support the idea of letting a coach grow into the position but unfortunately things have spiraled out of control for Diaz. The players arent showing even the most basic fundamentals. I can also understand a coach having a couple seasons of bad evals at a position. But six seasons without being able to hit on even one single P5 quality starting LB? NOT EVEN ONE. So if we want to hire another HC from a G5 and let him grow into it, I don't love the idea but I could live with it if I saw progress. If we want to hire an inexpensive coach (because another school is paying the bills and I believe there was salary offset language in his buyout) and let him grow into the job, then go get Tom Herman from the Bears.

$25-$30 million just for his contract, $5-$8 million minimum for Manny’s buyout, buyouts for current assistants, plus new contracts for new assistants.

$40 million may be low.
Unless you are planning on not having a head coach or assistant coaches, those two expenses are non-factors here. Maybe the difference between the amount Mandy is stealing from the school vs what the new coach would be earning. Most assistants are also on short term deals. Your math and thought process to get to this number are just wrong.

I can support the idea of letting a coach grow into the position but unfortunately things have spiraled out of control for Diaz. The players arent showing even the most basic fundamentals. I can also understand a coach having a couple seasons of bad evals at a position. But six seasons without being able to hit on even one single P5 quality starting LB? NOT EVEN ONE. So if we want to hire another HC from a G5 and let him grow into it, I don't love the idea but I could live with it if I saw progress. If we want to hire an inexpensive coach (because another school is paying the bills and I believe there was salary offset language in his buyout) and let him grow into the job, then go get Tom Herman from the Bears.
Questions for Tom Herman:

What do you take from your time as HC at Texas?

Herman needs to come forward with what he learned, what he feels he did wrong, and what he would do differently if he were the HC at The University of Miami. Failing to sincerely answer those questions results in a PASS.

Easy for me to say, but I know his resume, wins and losses.

Think about it. If any great coach like Urban, Saban or even Dabo had been at Kentucky 8 years wouldn't they have made Kentucky into a power by now? They'd have at least been in contention for an SEC crown once.

Stoops doesn't have the super powers necessary to push us over the edge. Yes we will average about 9 - 10 wins but we're still going to be coming up short against the big guns and eventually the fans will demand a championship. I don't think Stoops will ever deliver that.
Did Saban make Michigan State a power?

Advertisement
The assumption that Mark Stoops would have Miami winning the ACC and possibly in the playoffs right now is quite the leap. It's not impossible but you could say that it's not impossible for numerous head coaches, even ones I don't really care for, to have Miami in position to win the ACC this year. ****, Manny could still win the ACC this year. Probably not but it's possible. I'm just not going to go all in on a guy who's barely a .500 coach just because he beat a Florida team that could very well finish the season unranked. Would it be an upgrade? Yeah, is he anywhere near my top choice? no. I think Miami can do better. I don't think he's a bad coach, I just don't subscribe to the theory that if a guy can win 7 games at a mediocre program, he'll automatically be able to win 10 games at a bigger name program.
I would consider Stoops to be a competent coach, meaning he will put the best players on the field, he will have the team prepared, and he will hire a competent staff that will develope players. Just doing what I listed alone wins you the Coastal.

The only leap is the unknown, it's not know how he will coach during pressure games.

Unless you are planning on not having a head coach or assistant coaches, those two expenses are non-factors here. Maybe the difference between the amount Mandy is stealing from the school vs what the new coach would be earning. Most assistants are also on short term deals. Your math and thought process to get to this number are just wrong.

No they aren’t. You just don’t get the point

Questions for Tom Herman:

What do you take from your time as HC at Texas?

Herman needs to come forward with what he learned, what he feels he did wrong, and what he would do differently if he were the HC at The University of Miami. Failing to sincerely answer those questions results in a PASS.

Easy for me to say, but I know his resume, wins and losses.

It's not a coincidence that Mack Brown had unlimited money, could cherry pick recruits, and yet only won one title (their only title since 1970). Most coaches realize that at Texas you have to deal with incredibly meddlesome boosters. At Bama, Saban can tell the boosters to keep their mouths shut and hand him cash. At Texas, the boosters feel entitled to be able to call the coach during the week and tell him what plays they think would work. It's not nearly as good a job as everyone thinks. Safe to say that Boosters with too much interest in the day to day operations of the football program are one thing a HC doesn't have to worry about in Miami.

No they aren’t. You just don’t get the point
I do get the point but your math is wrong. The amount at stake is the cost of the current staff's buyout, the new coach's buyout, and whatever raise above whatever Manny is currently making. You are paying Manny $3.5, and probably more if or when Blake James extended him. So that amount is not at risk with a new coach. That amount is what you would be spending anyways to go .500.

Advertisement
Shannon had a brief stint as an associate head coach at Florida and Golden's career actually went upward as he went to the NFL for a few years after Miami. Larry Coker found another head coaching job and Richt was burned out. We boot Manny and he'll probably get back up again. He's young enough to get another chance.
I admire your optimism.

Coker only found a head coaching job (after several years) because UTSA needed someone to start up a program from scratch.

Shannon took several years to even work his way up from position coach back to being a coordinator. He did get the interim tag for the Crocs a few years back after their HC got fired because they needed someone to preside over the remaining beatdowns they had coming to them that season. That’s the closest he’s gotten to being a head coach.

Golden has bounced around as a position coach in the NFL. You think that’s a promotion from being a P5 college head coach?

Richt didn’t fail at UM. He was already a proven P5 head coach. He didn’t fail, but his health did. So he’s not in the same category as the others.

There is no reason, based on the track record, to think that anyone will hire Manny Diaz as an FBS head coach again after this.

2021:
Kentucky only above USCe and Vandy

2020:
Only above Mizz and Vandy

2019:
Above Mizz and Vandy
2018:
Above Mizz and Vandy

2017:
Mizz and Vandy

2016:
Mizz and Vandy (Mizz has higher player average)

Basically get worse players than every team in division outside Vandy and Mizz and they barely outrecruit Mizz

Yet they still are doing fairly well.

It makes me shudder to imagine how bad a Manny coached team would do with similar recruiting results.

One coaches up his players to other has a negative impact

It's not a coincidence that Mack Brown had unlimited money, could cherry pick recruits, and yet only won one title (their only title since 1970). Most coaches realize that at Texas you have to deal with incredibly meddlesome boosters. At Bama, Saban can tell the boosters to keep their mouths shut and hand him cash. At Texas, the boosters feel entitled to be able to call the coach during the week and tell him what plays they think would work. It's not nearly as good a job as everyone thinks. Safe to say that Boosters with too much interest in the day to day operations of the football program are one thing a HC doesn't have to worry about in Miami.
Fair enough for you to say.

If I were AD, hopefully a connected one, I would understand the difficulties of the Texas job before I ever spoke with Herman. I would not want to hear that from his mouth.

Advertisement
Not sure if you are slightly delayed which is possible so I’ll use small words:

In interview, if coach no want to change one thing holding him back, don’t hire coach. Don’t wait until hired to tell him to change
Good counter... breaking it down into small words... I mean after I had to stop using words altogether and just use a picture to show you how dumb your approach was. Which evidently sailed over your head. Like the AD is going say "as long as you dont try and run that **** that made you somewhat successful before, I will hire you"...

LOL... OK bro... other people dumb... you smart... Bringing in a coach who hasn't ever shown success running the scheme you want him to commit to before you hire him is perfectly logical and exactly how every coaching search should go.

He'd be an upgrade but he wouldn't move us beyond the 9-11 win total ever. We'd get tired of him after about 4 years.
Shid I don't know how... When's the last time we've had 9+ wins for 4 consecutive years. I'd take that **** in a heartbeat right now.

Only thing I don’t like about Stoops is the ancient offense. If he can advance to a spread offense then heck yeah, cuz his defense will come prepared to play!
He has switched over OCs several times. Eddie Gran was last one and solid.
Agree current Oc is boring.
But oh boy that defense can play

Advertisement
He'd be an upgrade but he wouldn't move us beyond the 9-11 win total ever. We'd get tired of him after about 4 years.
UM fans get tired of every coach in 4 years and if we still like the coach, he moves on to the NFL (JJ, Butch, Erickson, even Howard left for the USFL).

C'mon bruh. He's been a head coach at Arizona in a time when pac 10 was on point & coaching at Kentucky in the sec... Even being competitive is impressive. On top of everything else what people fail to realize is what we need out of a coach has zero to do with his record & EVERYTHING to do with his approach. His philosophies & accountability. He literally just showed y'all everything y'all should want out of any coach...
Mark Stoops was never a head coach at Arizona. He was an assistant on his brothers coaching staff. Mike Stoops was the Head Coach at Arizona.

I do get the point but your math is wrong. The amount at stake is the cost of the current staff's buyout, the new coach's buyout, and whatever raise above whatever Manny is currently making. You are paying Manny $3.5, and probably more if or when Blake James extended him. So that amount is not at risk with a new coach. That amount is what you would be spending anyways to go .500.

You still don’t get it.

The investment is going to be huge regardless. The question and program’s gamble is whether he’s the right guy to make it in.

There’s no subtracting coach A’s salary and the risk with coach B is the difference. It’s all him.

Richt didn’t fail at UM. He was already a proven P5 head coach. He didn’t fail, but his health did.

Richt failed utterly at recruiting. Absolutely abysmal. Health had little to do with that. His success was with a team that was almost entirely made up of Al Goldens players. In 2018 with a roster that was probably about 50% his, he won 7. The next year Diaz had a team that was about 90% Richt/Diaz recruits and they won 6. Now the team is almost 100% Richt/Diaz recruits and they will be lucky to win 5.

****, Al Golden got fired halfway through the 2015 season and the interim HC, Larry Scott (who had never been a HC at any level) still managed to win 8 games with the talent that Golden recruited.

Advertisement
Back