Bring him (Mark Stoops) to me!

Uconn was the only loss of the season in 2015, and it was by 3 on the road. In 2016, no shame in losing to a 9 win Navy team in Annapolis. Memphis was an 8 win team so not a garbage opponent (also a road loss). SMU was probably his worst loss and again on the road. He did not lose a home game in 2 years.

A brand new coach losing 3 road games over a 2 year span doesn't bother me much (kids can lose focus and I'm sure his players knew he was leaving UH) especially when those were his only regular season losses. What I want to see is can he beat more talented teams and the answer is undoubtedly yes.

UConn actually had a pretty good defense that year too.

Advertisement
Uconn was the only loss of the season in 2015, and it was by 3 on the road. In 2016, no shame in losing to a 9 win Navy team in Annapolis. Memphis was an 8 win team so not a garbage opponent (also a road loss). SMU was probably his worst loss and again on the road. He did not lose a home game in 2 years.

A brand new coach losing 3 road games over a 2 year span doesn't bother me much (kids can lose focus and I'm sure his players knew he was leaving UH) especially when those were his only regular season losses. What I want to see is can he beat more talented teams and the answer is undoubtedly yes.
No one is shaming Herman. Quite the contrary, I think, as I posted, the UT job was too big too soon. Like Kiffin at USC.

Herman, Stoops, Cristobal would each be an improvement over the current HC/DC Miami is suffering.

UConn actually had a pretty good defense that year too.
UConn fielded a pretty good defense that year. The other L's are bad. Especially losing to Norvell and the Memphis Tigers.
Still more impressive he was able to beat the #3 team twice while in Houston and did so without bringing his own guys being his first year on the job. He just coached them guys up and had them ready to go.
I think every coach has some bad losses. I think he will be a reliable enough coach to get the job done for us in the coastal at the very minimum. He took UH to the conference title and won, and took UT to their first conference title since 09. Imagine the coastal.
The man has also put up great numbers as an OC everywhere he's been.
UConn was a bad team. This was the worst loss of the four. I am simply trying to look at his complete body of work over 6 seasons, while ignoring Year 1 at UT.

He’s a good coach and brings a lot to the table. I especially like he’s spending this season in the NFL. I posted in another thread I am a big fan of bringing in young NFL talent to college, giving them a leg up, like Joe Brady and the Michigan DC (was LB coach with the Ravens, 34 years old). In Herman we’d get a 46-year old coach with 6 years HC experience, 4 years at a premier program, who worked as OC on a NC team under an elite HC (Meyer at OSU) and now has exposure to the NFL (albeit Da Bears).

Sign me up.

The problem is this is unlikely to happen at Miami without the requisite financial commitments and a new AD.

UConn was a bad team. This was the worst loss of the four. I am simply trying to look at his complete body of work over 6 seasons, while ignoring Year 1 at UT.

He’s a good coach and brings a lot to the table. I especially like he’s spending this season in the NFL. I posted in another thread I am a big fan of bringing in young NFL talent to college, giving them a leg up, like Joe Brady and the Michigan DC (was LB coach with the Ravens, 34 years old). In Herman we’d get a 46-year old coach with 6 years HC experience, 4 years at a premier program, who worked as OC on a NC team under an elite HC (Meyer at OSU) and now has exposure a NFL environment (albeit Da Bears).

Sign me up.

The problem is this is unlikely to happen at Miami without the requisite financial commitments and a new AD.

I just got some info from another poster 247Canes on youtube saying Herman would forfeit his buyout money if he becomes HC again. I didn't know that tbh.

I agree with you, brother. The first thing is getting a new AD.

Advertisement
I just got some info from another poster 247Canes on youtube saying Herman would forfeit his buyout money if he becomes HC again. I didn't know that tbh.

Well, then maybe the Football Golds are failing to smile upon us. Herman’s buyout was $15.4M, or so I read online. I could not find corroboration of a forfeiture clause.

I did read some rather negative press regarding Herman and his relationship with his (now former) players. ‘Lost the locker room’ and ‘questionable play-calling’ were key phrases. Hmmmmm….

And then this nugget from everybody‘s favorite, Urban Meyer.

”It’s not just recruiting, but recruiting and player development,” Meyer said. “When you talk about an evaluation period — when you see injuries and you see non-development of players as NFL guys, why is that? Is it assistant coaches? Is it the weight room? Is it the nutrition program? You can’t just put this on players. You’ve gotta say, ‘What’s going on when they get there?'”

Meyer noted how Alabama has had 46 players drafted since 2015 and Ohio State (his former team) has had 40. Despite having one of the top recruiting classes in the nation every year, Texas has only had 13 players drafted during that span.

and…

“Texas recruiting is bad right now, they’re getting beat in state. The word is he’s a little too intense, he’s a little too arrogant and does not curry favor with a lot of long standing popular high school football coaches.”

Last edited:
Well, then maybe the Football Golds are failing to smile upon us. Herman’s buyout was $15.4M, or so I read online. I could not find corroboration of a forfeiture clause.

I did read some rather negative press regarding Herman and his relationship with his (now former) players. ‘Lost the locker room’ and ‘questionable play-calling’ were key phrases. Hmmmmm….

And then this nugget from everybody‘s favorite, Urban Meyer.

”It’s not just recruiting, but recruiting and player development,” Meyer said. “When you talk about an evaluation period — when you see injuries and you see non-development of players as NFL guys, why is that? Is it assistant coaches? Is it the weight room? Is it the nutrition program? You can’t just put this on players. You’ve gotta say, ‘What’s going on when they get there?'”

Meyer noted how Alabama has had 46 players drafted since 2015 and Ohio State (his former team) has had 40. Despite having one of the top recruiting classes in the nation every year, Texas has only had 13 players drafted during that span.
View attachment 157254

He did have 5 players drafted his last year in UT, and that was pretty much his first-class at UT that he developed. It does look like it could be 5+ players again this year from his recruiting classes.

I couldn't find anything either regarding the forfeit of buyout money if he takes an HC job elsewhere too. Just going based on what that one poster told me.

My uninformed guess is that his contract has offset language. It would be really odd for a coach to accept a contract that says if he gets fired but gets a new job, he gives up his entire buyout. I think he got 5 mil for each year remaining and had two years left. Hypothetically if he was hired by UM at the end of this season at 2.5 mil, he would then get 2.5 mil from Texas for his remaining year due to the offset. I'd set it up like Mario's, but give him 1.5 mil year 1 (Texas can pay the other 3.5), then have it go up each year.

Last edited:
My uninformed guess is that his contract has offset language. It would be really odd for a coach to accept a contract that says if he gets fired but gets a new job, he gives up his entire buyout. I think he got 5 mil for each year remaining and had two years left. Hypothetically if he was hired by UM at the end of this season at 2.5 mil (could go up each year after) , he would then get 2.5 mil from Texas for his remaining year due to the offset.

That makes a lot more sense to me.

Advertisement
Mark Stoops was never a head coach at Arizona. He was an assistant on his brothers coaching staff. Mike Stoops was the Head Coach at Arizona.
Yeah. I know. Was already corrected on the difference. Thanks for pointing it out though. Sometimes id confuse mark and Mike .

My uninformed guess is that his contract has offset language. It would be really odd for a coach to accept a contract that says if he gets fired but gets a new job, he gives up his entire buyout. I think he got 5 mil for each year remaining and had two years left. Hypothetically if he was hired by UM at the end of this season at 2.5 mil, he would then get 2.5 mil from Texas for his remaining year due to the offset. I'd set it up like Mario's, but give him 1.5 mil year 1 (Texas can pay the other 3.5), then have it go up each year.
His buyout was $15.4M, or so I read. But you’re correct, why would he accept a no-compete clause that forfeited his buyout by taking another HC job. Maybe if it were a Big 12 team, but still seems wrong.

Definitely underpay him to make Texas pay the balance but agree to spend the savings on staff and support.

Last edited:
No one is shaming Herman. Quite the contrary, I think, as I posted, the UT job was too big too soon. Like Kiffin at USC.

Herman, Stoops, Cristobal would each be an improvement over the current HC/DC Miami is suffering.
My Grandmother who passed in 81 would be an improvement...

Advertisement
Approved GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Advertisement
Help me understand the following:

- Looking for new coach: getting us to 9 wins a year would be a blessing, I’ll sign up for that, let’s go

- Preseason outlook every year for Miami: if that ************ doesn’t win 11 games, fire him immediately, this is Miami, that’s the expectation, pounds fist at cloud

I don't understand why we're crowning this guy. He's 54-50 for his career. Has only surpassed 8 wins once in his career. And sure he beat UF, but his QB only threw for 87 yards in that game.

How is this coach going to take us out of mediocrity when he has lived in mediocrity his entire career? If he was as good as people are touting him to be, he would've been poached by another SEC school already.

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs Coaches# AP°
Kentucky Wildcats (Southeastern Conference) (2013–present)
2013 Kentucky 2–10 0–8 7th (Eastern)
2014 Kentucky 5–7 2–6 6th (Eastern)
2015 Kentucky 5–7 2–6 T–4th (Eastern)
2016 Kentucky 7–6 4–4 T–2nd (Eastern) L TaxSlayer
2017 Kentucky 7–6 4–4 T–3rd (Eastern) L Music City
2018 Kentucky 10–3 5–3 T–2nd (Eastern) W Citrus 11 12
2019 Kentucky 8–5 3–5 T–4th (Eastern) W Belk
2020 Kentucky 5–6 4–6 4th (Eastern) W Gator
2021 Kentucky 5–0 3–0 (Eastern)
Kentucky: 54–50 27–42
Total: 54–50
#Rankings from final Coaches Poll.
°Rankings from final AP Poll.
Go back and see what Jimmy Johnson's record was at Oklahoma State. It's not always about your W/L record. When you are at a second level school in the SEC, or any conference, and you can even compete with the big dogs, you are doing something very, very right. Just like JJ at OSU. I guess if JJ was any good, he would have been poached by someone else in the Big 8.

Advertisement
Back