Brian Kelly says Lincoln Riley settled for too little

Advertisement
Players aren't playing for free. A lot signed huge NIL deals, along with the tuition, R&B, food, training, PR, clothes, etc........
But the university that has tens of millions per year for a coach plus all sorts of extra bonus stuff plus a sweet-*** golden parachute doesn't really pay them. Yes, an education and food and stuff aren't free, but let's be honest here. Miami may charge $50k for tuition, but that's not what it costs them to provide it. They may charge god knows how much for food and a room, but that's not how much it costs them. All they do is skip their profit for 85 kids out of thousands, so let's not act like the kids are getting very much compared to what the adults get. Even if you figure all that stuff is worth $100k per year, that's $8.5m a year. Then you pay a single guy nearly twice that. Plus if the kid fails we make him transfer. When the adult fails we pay him to go away.

Whatever, I know it just is what it is. But coaching compensation is getting way way out of control.

Does anyone care that this $15M/year # might be complete BS, and that he might be making less than Riley? No? Ok, carry on.

Brian Kelly leaving Notre Dame to coach LSU; offer is 10 years and at least $100 million: Sources​

By The Athletic College Football Staff
November 30, 2021 Updated 8:54 AM

"LSU's offer to Kelly is a 10-year deal that will take him north of $100 million with incentives, sources tell The Athletic's Matt Fortuna and Brody Miller."

No phuking way.!!! He has Saban, Jimbo, Kirby, and of right now Lane to deal with. This ain't ND who can schedule mediocre cupcakes. He's going to face 5 ranked conference teams every season and can't lose to more than 2 of them and that might not be good enough. The expectations are extremely high at LSU. It's the CFP and National Championships or bust.

I think Kelly is a good coach, but not a great one. He has feasted on mediocre teams in his run at ND. Very few signature wins against top 10 teams. Kelly is 3-8 against top 5 teams and has been beaten by more than 14 points in 5 of the 8 losses.

IMO, this is just a money grab. He was better off staying at ND and being a legend at that school with an easier path to the CFP. I guess he's hoping for an expanded CFP playoff where he can possibly get in with 2 losses, but I don't think he survives at LSU long enough to see that expanded CFP.
He beats most of the teams he should beat. Thats the base line for being a good coach. When its equal talent or the opponent is better then its fine details. I don't know how many of these top 10 matchups they went into even pick em. They were overmatched in most of them particularly in games v Southern programs. He will do well at LSU but doing well and winning it all are not the same thing. They will have to topple Bama. Good luck with that. Would have been much better for him if the Gators took him with only UGA to deal with.

Advertisement
The main positive about Kelly to me is that he tries his best to get physical OLmen and run down people's throats in an era of style, finennese and dainty pass O's.

If he can recruit and bring that physical style to LSU and just run over people they are going to love him and he will become a legend. Even if they don't beat Saban and Jimbo every year he will have his team competative and in the hunt every season. Especially with (the rumored) expanded playoffs.

They gave up 29 to VA Tech.
Did you mean 134?

Matchup
i
i
1st Downs2121
3rd down efficiency3-128-17
4th down efficiency0-00-0
Total Yards401321
Passing221187
Comp-Att15-2617-34
Yards per pass8.55.5
Interceptions thrown21
Rushing180134

The one who gave up about 8,000 rushing yds to FSU this year.
The one who just shut out Georgia Tech a few weeks ago, and as a team gave up 25 points in 4 games in November. Amazing watching what a legit coach can do and the team improves as the year goes on instead of what we watch here.

Advertisement
This payout is insane. How in the **** can schools that don’t have bagmen compete. We better have two billionaires available to put up at least 80 million if we are going to get Mario at least. We are competing with Nike for god sakes. I’m not sure now that’s even enough. Wow , over 100 million , this is just out of hand now. We maybe fans that really not seeing the reality of a small private University that doesn’t have a big booster program and big donors. I wish it was not true but it is. We hsbe to believe these guys are going to come up with the biggest bucks ever in our program.

Advertisement
Point is, these kids are making more than what people make it out to be.
Do we know what they’re making? I know king got a nice NIL deal… but I I think he’s the only one on the team. I can’t think of anyone else that got signed to a contract like that.

We see a few players signing w you tubers like MiamiFlo… but small channels can’t be paying anything significant. There’s a bunch of players selling T shirts, but that’s not moving the needle.

I’m not so sure these kids, other than the stars, are making much at all. If anything.

Advertisement
He beats most of the teams he should beat. Thats the base line for being a good coach. When its equal talent or the opponent is better then its fine details. I don't know how many of these top 10 matchups they went into even pick em. They were overmatched in most of them particularly in games v Southern programs. He will do well at LSU but doing well and winning it all are not the same thing. They will have to topple Bama. Good luck with that. Would have been much better for him if the Gators took him with only UGA to deal with.
Well, the expectation at LSU is winning it all. They could pay any decent coach less than half of what Kelly is getting to go 9-3 or 8-4. They are paying him to win a championship. That's Kelly's future and it won't be acceptable at LSU which I why I think he gets fired year 3. He's getting paid nearly as much as Saban. This has failure written all over it. But, hey, coaches have guaranteed contracts so Kelly makes out even if he fails to deliver a championship.

Perhaps Kelly feels he can duplicate what Orgeron did with Joe Burrows.

After thinking about Kelly's contract, I'm realizing LSU has attached themselves to Kelly even if he fails to deliver a championship. It's going to be hard to fire him in year 3 and pay him $70 million to go away. Maybe he gets it done within his 10 year contract, but I don't think he has a chance until Saban retires and he'll still have Jimbo and Kirby to deal with. With the CFP likely changing to at least 8 and probably 12 teams, Kelly will have a better chance to make the CFP. Will that be good enough for LSU fans and brass? IDK.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back