Brevin's Weaknesses

Advertisement
Courtesy of Lance Zierlein, these weaknesses are maybe (along with lack of a reliable QB throwing him the ball) why Brevin didn't attain All World status at UM:

Weaknesses
  • Drops head into contact and blocks with erratic technique.
  • Block sustain will require much more work.
  • Gradual route bends between hashes give positioning away.
  • Balance is volatile in pattern work.
  • Tight hips restrict intermediate opportunities.
  • Needs more aggression at the top of the route.
  • Excessive body-catching and bobbles.
  • Not a very reliable option when catch is contested.
Projects as 4th pick (2nd pick in 3rd round) of the WFT
**** that sounds like he sucks. I think Brevin was solid here and the only things I would worry about is obviously injury prone and it almost always seemed like he was falling down a lot after catching the ball.

Balance definitely stood out, was surprising to see how much he stumbled or was falling forward. Still a beast, though.
Wow I really should read the board before I comment I definitely agree with you dukemv 😂😁😂🤣

Look at the guys you cited though. Brevin doesn't have any remarkable physical tools. He's not exactly tall or long and he's not a big body either that can use his body to shield defenders. Yes, he is very good after the catch but you got to catch it before you can run with it (duh). He's been historically average(?) or below average (?) in making contested catches or in tight spaces. And I don't think that he has the athleticism or speed/quicks to overcompensate for that deficiency. I kinda think a 4th round grade is probably right.
kelce was a third round pick, kittle was a fifth round pick, mark andrews was a third round pick... i don't think it's some huge slight against brevin to value him in that range, especially given his size. the value on TEs picked in the first/second round hasn't been great lately... i would be wary of taking pitts where he has been going in mock drafts. brevin isn't scheme neutral but if he goes to a team who is willing/able to accentuate what he can do on the field i think he can be very productive. we really have no idea how good of a route runner he is/can be given what he was asked to do at miami (this is true for like every college TE) and i'm curious what his numbers in short area quickness tests look like.

i don't think the first part of this is necessarily true. the best NFL coaching staffs use TE as a scheme weapon nowadays... kelce and kittle being the obvious ones, you could even go back to gronk and aaron hernandez. those are elite talents obv but even a guy like mark andrews isn't making very many contested catches. there are darren waller or mike gesicki types who are winning just purely off size/strength in contested catch situations but those are also guys in offenses where the OC still thinks it's 1999. if brevin goes to a team that expects him to win in that way then yeah it prob won't go very well but if he goes to a team w/ a more progressive minded OC his after the catch ability will be a huge weapon.
Kelce wins at the top of route with his feel for zones and nuances to gain slight separation. He's not running by dudes in man to man...every catch comes after contact at the top of the route. Lavonte David shut down a lot of those plays in the SB.

Kittle is a mix of schemed underneath stuff and downfield contested catches. Occasionally he'll be placed in the slot on 3rd down to win matchups with his explosion. If Brevin became an elite blocker and contested catch guy he could be Kittle. That would be a 1/1000 development outcome.

Andrews basically just runs downfield into zone voids and highpoints catches in traffic. If Brevin could highpoint like that he'd be a much better prospect.

I do agree that Brevin can be a weapon in the right scheme. There just aren't a ton of offenses that go out of their way to involve TEs underneath like that. Jacksonville is an intriguing landing spot cause they could use multiple new TEs, Meyer has the Hernandez background and Lawrence is masterful at executing misdirection schemes with all varieties of screens, leaks and throwbacks.

Advertisement
I agree with most of those takes (or just haven't noticed) but he doesn't have tight hips. He's very quick for a te.

Also, Pitts can eat a big bag of ****s.

NFL TEs live off contested catches. Hard to scheme guys into space in NFL compared to college. Not like Jordan is a polished or dynamic route runner either.

He is what he is - an athletic underneath receiver who can gain yards after the catch. He will have a long career but has capped upside and scheme limitations.
Only thing i disagree here is route running ability. I believe he is legit in that department in comparison to his peers in this draft.

Brevin is gone in the 3rd.

Kelce wins at the top of route with his feel for zones and nuances to gain slight separation. He's not running by dudes in man to man...every catch comes after contact at the top of the route. Lavonte David shut down a lot of those plays in the SB.

Kittle is a mix of schemed underneath stuff and downfield contested catches. Occasionally he'll be placed in the slot on 3rd down to win matchups with his explosion. If Brevin became an elite blocker and contested catch guy he could be Kittle. That would be a 1/1000 development outcome.

Andrews basically just runs downfield into zone voids and highpoints catches in traffic. If Brevin could highpoint like that he'd be a much better prospect.

I do agree that Brevin can be a weapon in the right scheme. There just aren't a ton of offenses that go out of their way to involve TEs underneath like that. Jacksonville is an intriguing landing spot cause they could use multiple new TEs, Meyer has the Hernandez background and Lawrence is masterful at executing misdirection schemes with all varieties of screens, leaks and throwbacks.
Washington really has no legit TE. Logan Thomas was somewhat serviceable last season but ... TE need is def there!

kelce was a third round pick, kittle was a fifth round pick, mark andrews was a third round pick... i don't think it's some huge slight against brevin to value him in that range, especially given his size. the value on TEs picked in the first/second round hasn't been great lately... i would be wary of taking pitts where he has been going in mock drafts. brevin isn't scheme neutral but if he goes to a team who is willing/able to accentuate what he can do on the field i think he can be very productive. we really have no idea how good of a route runner he is/can be given what he was asked to do at miami (this is true for like every college TE) and i'm curious what his numbers in short area quickness tests look like.
I like Pitts a lot; every time I watched UF, he was making one sensational play after another but I agree that some of these mocks have him too high. Matt Miller has him going 4 which is insane IMO.

Advertisement
Someone's going to get a 1st round talent in the 3rd round. But as others have mentioned, injuries are my concern, not skill.
Put him in the Chiefs offense with a real QB and he will end up All-Pro by year 3. He's not a pure TE, more of a hybrid and with game breaking speed and a great run after catch player. He will need to get stronger, but the Pro game favors his talents.

Courtesy of Lance Zierlein, these weaknesses are maybe (along with lack of a reliable QB throwing him the ball) why Brevin didn't attain All World status at UM:

Weaknesses

In the interest of balance, his strengths (per Lance Zierlein):
  • Three-year starter with adequate size.
  • Highly decorated as in-line and slot option.
  • Appeared to play with an elevated level of confidence.
  • Improved route work and quickness out of breaks in 2020.
  • Takes tight angles on out-breaking routes.
  • Stems and creates openings for quarterback on short slant.
  • Scrambles open on off-schedule pass plays.
  • Absorbs heavy strikes and continues on after the catch.
  • Adequate acceleration after the catch.
  • Can be a punishing runner with the ball in his hands.

He’s gonna be a steal wherever he lands. As much as I would hate to see it he’d be a perfect fit in GB’s passing attack.

2nd to 3rd, IMO. Barring injury, he'll start in the league and play for a long time.

Advertisement
Washington really has no legit TE. Logan Thomas was somewhat serviceable last season but ... TE need is def there!
Good point. Washington offense is up there with the Steelers using the highest volume of short passes. They need playmakers and Jordan would help them. I've never liked Logan Thomas and his season was a misleading empty stats kind of year. He got a lot of targets on an offense with 1 good receiver but was very inefficient. He's a very stiff and sluggish athlete.

Weaknesses

Take this garbage to the Gaytor boards.

Advertisement
Brevin doesn't have any remarkable physical tools.
Brevin is uniquely quick as a TE. He was a youth football RB similar to Hernandez. He is built like a big RB, with a strong lower body. When you combine that with excellent instincts/competitiveness and good ball skills, you have Brevin.

Check out the shuttle he ran today at the mock combine. For comparison, Christian McCaffrey had a 4.22 shuttle:

Again, for posterity...Jonnu Smith ran a 4.62...38 inch vertical...4.18 shuttle.

Jonnu Smith was an above 90th percentile athlete at TE. No remarkable physical traits? Man, idk...Brevin will likely be a 90th percentile or better athlete at the position. Thats an elite athlete.

Advertisement
Back