Breaking News: The NCAA is still a bunch of *******

Everyone has to remember that there was a possibility we'd get hit with a much bigger number. Our scholarship number was a combination of that factor an as Andrew pointed out and an inability to attract players they thought were worth the risk. I'm actually ok with how it played out. Without attrition we only have room for 25 scholarships this year. If we loaded up last year, We'd be looking at a very small class.

Advertisement
Well with our recent recruiting problems... I hope we go all Plan A studs or bust. No Plan B or C's unless its at a vital position and use whatever number of ships we strike out on to offset a portion of the nine we lost to the sanctions and be closer to being down with it

3 'ships a year over 3 years is immaterial to any on-field results. This is a non-issue IMO.

Advertisement
Playing at 82 is barely a slap on the wrist. No way they were going to make that go away. I'm not even mad.

Here's how this played out in the football offices:

We're not getting Alex Collins or Matthew Thomas?! Seriously?! Um, can we say we purposely withheld their scholarships to mitigate the NCAA sanctions??

Regardless of whether we self-imposed or just couldn't fill our roster, Golden et al did exactly the right thing here: tell the NCAA we self-imposed and see if we can make our already minimal reductions go away completely. We tried that, the NCAA said no and we are moving on.

I realize there are a few "should have taken" guys out there that people are butt hurt about, but in my mind it is better not to be saddled with projects you later have to show the door and leave some space for times like now, when we can add 25+ quality players to our roster. There are very few instances where our incoming class isn't an upgrade over guys we would have taken to fill spots.

Golden missing on certain guys is an entirely separate issue and has no bearing on how he spun or didn't spin this situation. Right now he is damned whatever he does in some people's minds. Save your criticism for when it is due.

EE's count against last years' numbers so it is not quite what most r thinking - our self imposed numbers r misleading..

Advertisement
I have never understood the concept of scholly reductions. That is 9 people that will not be able to get a college degree opportunity, and had nothing to do with the issue.

So much for the brillance with which Donna handled the ncaa. Thanks to her, we lost 18 ships over 4 years instead of 9 over 3. Smart move half-pint. Make it up to us by bringing Butch in a recruiting CEO and DC. Promote Mark to your assistant in charge of stupid ideas, so Al will not feel bad.

man I laughed so hard at this

Advertisement
Of course they didn't accept what we were telling them. We never self imposed we just poorly recruited. What school would self impose and not tell the NCAA until afterwards? Also why would it matter how many players we on our roster? We just can't kick players off the team to save ships. Look how last recruiting season ended with us signing a handful after NSD. It is all about how many we bring in.

Golden the man the myth

3 'ships a year over 3 years is immaterial to any on-field results. This is a non-issue IMO.

u just wait, it'll be the sole reason we don't win the ACC next year

The Cloud
450.jpg

Golden loves this news. Another excuse he can use for when him and Dorito bring the defense to even further levels of fail

Advertisement
Say hello to the "cloud". Loss of schollie's will be used as an excuse exactly one year from today after a subpar season.

Are you saying that the scholarship reductions are/were not real?

Are you saying scholarship reductions do not impact depth or flexibility and/or increase the importance of not missing on projections?

Are you saying there was no NCAA investigation?

Are you saying there was no negative recruiting or negative impact on the program, a program that was already in a multi-year tailspin?

**** and moan all you want about Golden, but you have a real ****ing short memory if you don't think the Shapiro issue was damaging to the school and to Golden's rebuild timeframes.

Why do you seem to reply with questions? Why don't you just say what you want to say?

I read his comment and it was pretty clear he was being sarcastic, and pointing out Al will continue to use the same excuses he's used in the past to justify why he can't get us over the hump.

I don't think anyone rationale would argue the NCAA witch hunt didn't serious impede our progress. However, in a vacuum, that doesn't inoculate Al or the staff from the ALL their failings.

Yes it played a large part, but in this year where we had the cup cake schedule, we saw our defense eviscerated time and again by average quality teams. No, we weren't running on all cylinders, but I expected us to be competitive. We weren't. And the coaching, schemes, game planning and inability to make game time adjustments were glaring problems-- we had nearly 6 weeks to prepare for our bowl game and were outcoached in every phase of the game.

That isn't b/c we didn't have athletes that could play with Louisville-- its b/c the coaching staff got schooled, called a horrible game, and couldn't counteract what Louisville was doing. We were ill-prepared and played with zero intensity. That goes on the coaches... not the NCAA.

Advertisement
Back