Breaking down Diaz

Advertisement
Sounds like a collection of everything I was saying, wondering if I'm getting a check from Daniel?

You know he ripped it from here bc he cited my inaccurate statement about bend don't break. His defense, as noted by Franchise, doesn't actually give up big plays; instead it allows for long extended drives down the field, aka, bend don't break.

Guy ripped off every observation made on this site from Lu, myself, and others and put it on his own.

Last edited:
The players will prefer this system more which will be the biggest benefit.

Advertisement
Boom or bust vs bend don't break...

Break them, but don't be broken more like. It seems like the umbrella prevents the big play, but allows death by 10 play drive if you can string that together in the mid-range game without getting behind schedule by a plus havoc rating.

Boom or bust vs bend don't break...

As Chise and others have proven, this isn't the case at all. He doesn't give up big plays. He does, however, give up long extended drives.

The author basically sifted through every early comment about Diaz, took it as gospel, and made a cliff notes. DMoney prob could sue his *** for ripping off comments on his site and passing them off as an article.

For example, there is no way this dude actually researched Diaz's coverage and then wrote "he doesn't pattern match". That was something he likely read out of context, when we were discussing his Fire Zone. In his 2-Read coverage, he absolutely pattern matches. Any quick watch of a game or research on the dude you can find that.

"It is not multiple to be multiple..."

Dorito would like to know what exactly he means by that.

LOL except Diaz is still multiple for no reason. As a 4-3 defense, there is no reason to stand your DEs up half the time. It just asks them to play from a totally different perspective, get off, and vantage point.

So his 2-4 look, is multiple for being multiple. When you are a 3-4 base, those 2 standup DEs are actually your OLBs, who stand up all game. See Von Miller and Demarcus Ware on 3rd down. Those dudes play like that all game. What is the reasoning for 4-3 DEs to do it, other than to be multiple?

When he does it, it's ok, but when Dorito did it, our fans hated it?

Advertisement

LOL except Diaz is still multiple for no reason. As a 4-3 defense, there is no reason to stand your DEs up half the time. It just asks them to play from a totally different perspective, get off, and vantage point.
O
So his 2-4 look, is multiple for being multiple. When you are a 3-4 base, those 2 standup DEs are actually your OLBs, who stand up all game. See Von Miller and Demarcus Ware on 3rd down. Those dudes play like that all game. What is the reasoning for 4-3 DEs to do it, other than to be multiple?

Name a thing Doritos did that I shouldn't hate?

Also, am I wrong to think that standing a DE up serves some purpose? Is it not meant to confuse the offense as to what that DE will be doing? I don't know if it works, but I have to assume there's some reason for it.

O

Also, am I wrong to think that standing a DE up serves some purpose? Is it not meant to confuse the offense as to what that DE will be doing? I don't know if it works, but I have to assume there's some reason for it.

The reason he does it is because when the backside (weak) end is a drop player and they fire zone the strong side it's easier to drop. He doesn't always drop when stood up, but it helps to add confusion for the offense.

He plays 4-3, some 3-4 with the Sam on the LOS, 2-4, 3-3.

The difference is he attacks the offense behind the line unlike what we saw the last 5 years.

Watch Clemson vs Oklahoma. They don't always line up only 4. It's very similar to what you see from Diaz, except that they are in 4 down a higher percentage of the time and play a little close to the line with their DB's.

O

The reason he does it is because when the backside (weak) end is a drop player and they fire zone the strong side it's easier to drop. He doesn't always drop when stood up, but it helps to add confusion for the offense.

The difference is he attacks the offense behind the line unlike what we saw the last 5 years.

Watch Clemson vs Oklahoma. They don't always line up only 4. It's very similar to what you see from Diaz, except that they are in 4 down a higher percentage of the time and play a little close to the line with their DB's.

It's meant so that AQM and Chad can play in the flats or cover slot receivers---AGAIN. Just like everyone wanted, right?

Advertisement

O

It's meant so that AQM and Chad can play in the flats or cover slot receivers---AGAIN. Just like everyone wanted, right?

"Let me compare this approach to one of the most successful defensive coaches of the last two years, ok? Now here's a specific example of how it was utilized against a premier offense this very week, which should cause us to pause --"

"BUT D'O IS THE SAME AS DIAZ!!!!"

There are things in there that I do not find to be accurate, but overall a good summary of what's been talked about.

Things that seemed off:

- Was it implied that Trent Harris would play the 5Tech? I re-read it twice, and sure seemed like he mentioned Harris "might get snaps" in that Chad Thomas, Mcintosh role.
- Grace's position doesn't change? Eh? He may have double the TFL next year. Perhaps his alignment won't be totally different, but the assignments will be different. For reference, he had something like 6.5 TFL this year. A similar LB at MSU last year - who was a former Safety and not built too differently than Grace - got something like 12-13, IIRC.
- There was more talk of 2-gapping in there than what I've seen on film, but maybe I've missed it.
- I'm still unsure of the spot-drop analysis because I haven't seen enough yet. The author basically said what FullyE had discussed over the weekend, but I'm curious if Diaz adjusts this aspect in any way. I haven't finished watching his 2015 games. Will get back to that over the weekend.

Sounds like a collection of everything I was saying, wondering if I'm getting a check from Daniel?

You know he ripped it from here bc he cited my inaccurate statement about bend don't break. His defense, as noted by Franchise, doesn't actually give up big plays; instead it allows for long extended drives down the field, aka, bend don't break.

Guy ripped off every observation made on this site from Lu, myself, and others and put it on his own.

Pretty sure this accusation about DG is baseless. Plenty of knowledgeable people don't read this site.

Advertisement
He doesn't just play spot coverage.

COVER 2 CHANGE UP: “TRAP”
With any good attack, you need a counter-punch, a change up. With playing MOFC coverages such as Cover 1 and 3-deep fire zone, it is important to keep an answer up your sleeve for when the offense gets wise to what you’re doing. The TRAP fire zone is strong where fire zone coverage is weak. With Trap Coverage, Diaz uses man-match coverage (not spot dropping….except for the flat defender).

Also if you watch football did you see Joey Bosa dropping into the flat on a zone blitz by OSU vs Notre Dame??? Saban also does it, and I've seen Shaq Lawson drop to the flats while the team overloaded the strong side to get a sack.

Stop your crying.

With any good attack, you need a counter-punch, a change up. With playing MOFC coverages such as Cover 1 and 3-deep fire zone, it is important to keep an answer up your sleeve for when the offense gets wise to what you’re doing. The TRAP fire zone is strong where fire zone coverage is weak. With Trap Coverage, Diaz uses man-match coverage (not spot dropping….except for the flat defender).

Also if you watch football did you see Joey Bosa dropping into the flat on a zone blitz by OSU vs Notre Dame??? Saban also does it, and I've seen Shaq Lawson drop to the flats while the team overloaded the strong side to get a sack.

Stop your crying.

Who's crying? I actually just said I want to see what else he plays. I find it odd that he'd just spot drop.

Stop your crying.

He spot drops in his 3 under 3 deep. It has been covered dozens of times. It's why he gets obliterated by passing offenses.

not what u said at all u said diaz sucks , u said diaz can't coach. u said miami made a huge mistake . all this story does it point out the advantes of his system and disadvantages as well as point out that diaz isn't as agressive as he was at texas, not what u said at all.

this story had positives all th rough it u are nothing but a negative nancy, who i think is just scared miami is gonna start winning again and your gaturds are gonna be avg and u will have to get over fapping over your tebow posters.

Advertisement
Back