Breakdown of defenses of Miami, NC St and WF.

C

CaneOil

To the guys who can break down defenses, your opinions on ours compared to NC ST's and WF's? IMO, this is where the game will be won or lost. I'm betting Miami on this one.

Advertisement
Miami is bigger, stronger, faster, and more aggressive than NCST and WF. The only comparable piece of either defense is NCST's DLine. As long as we keep our LB's from getting sucked into the screen game and if we tackle well on the backend we should have similar results to what both of those teams did.

I expect our DL to control their OL as much or more than their DL controls ours. The difference in the game will be which QB and offense in general takes care of the ball and which defense doesn't shoot themselves in the foot with giving up a big play(s).

Blackman is just too young and inexperienced and is so jittery in the pocket that if we hit him, he'll crumble. The same thing happened the last few games and they resorted to the screen game and it worked. There's no other way he can beat us. They're not talented enough at WR and their OL kills the talent of their RBs and makes them total nonfactors.

Wake and NCST played disciplined football on D and made tackles. We'll get in the backfield just based on how bad their OL is.. the sacks will come, the TFL will come, and the 3rd and 6+ will come. It'll be important to get off the field in those situations.

Miami is bigger, stronger, faster, and more aggressive than NCST and WF. The only comparable piece of either defense is NCST's DLine. As long as we keep our LB's from getting sucked into the screen game and if we tackle well on the backend we should have similar results to what both of those teams did.

I expect our DL to control their OL as much or more than their DL controls ours. The difference in the game will be which QB and offense in general takes care of the ball and which defense doesn't shoot themselves in the foot with giving up a big play(s).

Blackman is just too young and inexperienced and is so jittery in the pocket that if we hit him, he'll crumble. The same thing happened the last few games and they resorted to the screen game and it worked. There's no other way he can beat us. They're not talented enough at WR and their OL kills the talent of their RBs and makes them total nonfactors.

Wake and NCST played disciplined football on D and made tackles. We'll get in the backfield just based on how bad their OL is.. the sacks will come, the TFL will come, and the 3rd and 6+ will come. It'll be important to get off the field in those situations.

Essentially this but we have 3x better athletes than both schools across the board other than NCST on the D-line but our D-line is still more athletic.

I think we play the kind of D we played against Toledo. Make the freshman make the right read and the throw, blitz him so he can't set his feet and let his receivers run under a deep throw.

Advertisement
I still think our DBs are capable of being exploited by creative play calling. I think That Toledo proved that

NC state has a few players on their dl that is comparable.

I believe they have a better showing against us though on o.

Jimbo plays that i know he likes to run..from what ive seen in our scheme and defense will work against us. He loves that skinny post on third and anything over 5 yds. Diaz loves to bring a DELAYED BLITZ that is seen from a mile away, that play will be smack open due to our lack of speed or experience at the safety spot.

My opinion is/will be to completely take away their run game to the best we can...Because they will try to establish Patrick...as well as send the rbs in the flats matched up with quarterman, etc which is a mis match if its their speed backs.

Would like our o to put up points early and force their hand. Make them have to air it out. That kid will make mistakes or the ol will have to hold our guys

If your looking to see how FSU will probably look against us watch the NC State game. NC State runs the same scheme. One gap 4-3 defense. Wake Forest runs a 3-4 2 gap system.

We do have better Athletes and overall talent IMO then NC State (We played them last year) so it should be tougher for FSU to get the yards and points they got on NC State.

Advertisement
I still think our DBs are capable of being exploited by creative play calling. I think That Toledo proved that

They can barely throw a screen pass, what makes you think they can get creative when completing a simple play is difficult for them?

I think we play the kind of D we played against Toledo. Make the freshman make the right read and the throw, blitz him so he can't set his feet and let his receivers run under a deep throw.

We play the same defense that we did against Duke...guess you did not see our defense against Toledo lol

We play the same defense that we did against Duke...guess you did not see our defense against Toledo lol

As was discussed above, the difference the quarterback.

Best dlineman out of the 3 teams is Bradley chubb from ncstate who likely will be a top 10 pick next year. However miami has more depth and we have multiple high level players on the dline. Ncstate dline legit too though

Last edited:
Advertisement

I have to agree our D looks better than both Wake or NC ST. There was an advantage for the NC ST over us just because it was FSU's first game with the new QB. Other than that I see advantages over both teams at every position.

The first thing I look for is a freshmen QB to bet against, so far this kid just doesn't look good. Gotta get to him and stop the screens, I just don't see him having much success down field if someone is in his face all day.

I do think their RB's are equal to ours but as you say their offensive line doesn't look good so far. We should be ready for them just because of the lack of a good QB.

Our LBer's are so important in this game, gotta stop the screens. At the same time we have to have an effective blitz. We also have the talent at D ends.

This is our best chance to win in 8 years, I like our QB, he gives us an option we haven't had in many years, he can pack it away and run. We have very good receivers that can get open although FSU has good D-backs.

I went against the way I bet for this one in a few ways. I just went down the street and bet more and bet with my heart instead of my head. It's very hard to make a good decision on your favorite team, second time this season. I have a disclaimer, I rarely win this bet and I do mean rarely. I just see so many reasons to bet this game I just couldn't resist. It's time Canes gotta take this game, we've all been waiting too long.

They run a lot of quick hitters with Blackman just being completely inept at going through any kind of progressions right now. If we can't score or let them hang in close they'll get to keep running stuff he is comfortable with. If we jump on them like we have in the recent past and get up a couple scores we could bait him into taking a gamble and we just need to make plays when they're there, and we'll have the chance to suck the life right out of them.

However, it is a rivalry and it'll probably be close at least for 3 quarters if not the entire 60 minutes. Hard to get any read on what could happen. Always bet towards a rivalry being close and going the distance as we have with FSU so many times. You can scout and game plan all you want but typically, even in high school, the game plan goes out the window because the team you see on film is totally different than what you get in the game in a matchup like Miami and FSU.

Our best bet at winning this game is a fast start on offense. I just don't see Blackman leading them back in a game like this down a couple scores. He's no Jameis and there is no Dalvin. It just won't happen in that scenario unless our offense gives it to them i.e. the interception vs Toledo that they took inside the 10 or last year giving them a glimpse of hope with an interception right before the half.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I know garvin is young, but I would love to see him get in and get a hit or two on Blackman to make him remember that high school game when he got eaten alive by the kid.

I know garvin is young, but I would love to see him get in and get a hit or two on Blackman to make him remember that high school game when he got eaten alive by the kid.

I hope Garvin gets a sack in the first half and looks down at Pokemon and says "B*tch I'll be back 6 more times, if U last that long!"

We have not played a complete game good or bad. We are capable of greatness as we are of playing very poor football as our brief body of work in 2017 indicates. The game will be decided by how we play rather than how FSU plays as they are not a good team this year. I see a good canes team with good coaches playing for all the marbles and finally winning. Sadly if we cannot win this one the monkey on our back will be a gorilla next year at home with frenchy back.

Advertisement
Back